PDA

View Full Version : a comment and question for supporters:

cbc58
03-15-2008, 10:50 AM
I've been researching and brainstorming on ideas on how to keep this movement together and have come to the conclusion that it is going to take something beyond the realm of "free" to do it right. There are all kinds of bulletin boards and organizatons vying for your attention but in the long run it really doesn't accomplish anything concrete... and IMHO there needs to be an organizing structure that unites us all.

In researching hosted high-end membership solutions there are a few that cost in the range of $6.00 - $9.00/yr. per user (some less, some more) that can accomplish the task of keeping track of everyone, disseminating info, and setting up chapters.

So my question is: would you pay $12.00/yr to belong to a site that does this? The money above and beyond the cost of the actual site for upkeep and management would go back into projects to fix broken government as voted on my the membership.

Just an idea.........

yongrel
03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
Nope. This site works just fine.

We have accomplished an awful lot, and I see no need for change.

cbc58
03-15-2008, 11:04 AM
2 questions.... and I'm not trying to be confrontational... just want to know your thoughts:

1.) Where will you go after the election to keep this movement going forward;
2.) What concrete has been accomplished in real terms of getting changes made and fixing things in Washington? Creating "awareness" doesn't count.

Kludge
03-16-2008, 12:11 AM
2 questions.... and I'm not trying to be confrontational... just want to know your thoughts:

2.) What concrete has been accomplished in real terms of getting changes made and fixing things in Washington? Creating "awareness" doesn't count.

1. EFF, Reason/Republic Magazine, Downsize DC, continuing work at my info kiosk, these forums.
2. http://www.eff.org/work, "spreads awareness", I'd argue RPFs doubled fund raising efforts, (from a DownsizeDC email) "Last Saturday, in the middle of the night, we crossed the 1-million mark for messages to Congress."

cbc58
03-18-2008, 09:33 AM
how about if the $12.00 was tax deductible?

pinkmandy
03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
I don't want to be kept track of online because there's no way to know who else is keeping track. I do understand your feelings, OP, and have been mulling over ideas myself. I think we all need to move to designated geographical locations and then we can "keep track" irl, via talking and face to face activities. Spread out we are a scattered voice and having a mass old style email onslaught against the govt when they start rounding folks up will not work I fear. ;) We need to be there, together, in the flesh, making our stand.

This country is falling apart and I don't see how a revolution is possible without physically coming together. Yes, in the long term it could work but we don't have that time. If our market falls apart by September and our systems collapse then what?

BigRedBrent
03-18-2008, 10:04 AM
I have been wanting the official campaign to set something central up for us and hopefully with an included forum.

cbc58
03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
As stated before.... there needs to be something (IMHO) that keeps people together and the movement moving forward.

What I have in mind is a non-profit organization that has local chapters and acts as the connecting point for such a thing. It would serve all citizens in a non-biased manner (has to be to be non-profit), would ensure protection of personal information, and would educate people on politics and the system.

I have come to the conclusion that in order to do it right there has to be an professional service to handle and manage the backend.... which costs money.

Sites like this one are good to a point...

Andrew76
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM

No, I won't pay for a site and I'd bet my eyeballs that a vast majority of R.P. supporters wouldn't do so either. Just being honest. As to 1 and 2...

1) I do believe this site is going to morph into "Liberty Forest," no? Otherwise, something else will come around. After all, this very site was spontaneous and free.

2) You're suggesting that a pay-per membership site would accomplish more, simply because you have to pay for it? I remain unconvinced. Furthermore, this site was never intended to "fix Washington," but to get Ron Paul elected. Sure, he's all but lost the nomination, but this site and other free ones like it have done wonders for getting the word out, organizing supporters in various cities, promoting fundraising (one of which was a day that broke all prior campaign fundraising records), we've organized videos, raised money for blimps, supported Ron Paul-like candidates, etc, etc.

I personally recommend Downsize D.C. as a site for more "action" type of things. Downsizedc.org, also a free site, is very R.P. friendly and has been supportive of his policies. For the average Joe, aside from voting, writing to your local and state representatives is a great way to get your voice heard and to initiate change. This is what DownsizeDC.org does, and it makes it extremely easy to do so.

cbc58
03-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Andrew,

I understand what you are saying. I don't know what will happen to this site.

As far as your point of fundraising is concerned.... yes it has helped raise funds but where did those funds go?? Nothing has been accomplished and I'll submit that people would feel the same way about this country needing chage in RP was in the race or not.

I do beleive a more organized chapter-based entity is needed and you can't do that (properly) without some cost. How to cover that cost I guess is the question.