PDA

View Full Version : Which moral inclinations best describe you?

uncollapse
03-15-2008, 10:45 AM
------- Definitions from Wiki ---------------
Consequentialism refers to those moral theories which hold that the consequences of a particular action form the basis for any valid moral judgment about that action. Thus, from a consequentialist standpoint, a morally right action is one that produces a good outcome, or consequence.

Deontological ethics is commonly contrasted with consequentialist or teleological ethical theories, according to which the rightness of an action is determined by its consequences.

Virtue theory is a branch of moral philosophy that emphasizes character, rather than rules or consequences, as the key element of ethical thinking. Virtue ethics focuses on the character of the agent rather than on the nature or consequences of the action itself.
-------------------------------------------------------

For example, a consequentialist may argue that lying is wrong because of the negative consequences produced by lying — though a consequentialist may allow that certain foreseeable consequences might make lying acceptable. A deontologist might argue that lying is always wrong, regardless of any potential "good" that might come from lying. A virtue ethicist, however, would focus less on lying in any particular instance and instead consider what a decision to tell a lie or not tell a lie said about one's character.

Please vote which moral inclinations best describe you? :)

PS: Moderator, not sure if you would deem this to be in the right forum, but pls keep this in grassroot central for some time for me to take my polls. There might be something interesting to explore here. Thank you.

MikeStanart
03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Is there a mix of Deontological and Virtue?

It seems by the definition of Virtue; As long as you have good intentions, the outcome: whatever it may be...is ok.

It seems as though most RP'ers would really be a mix of the two.

sophocles07
03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I can;t vote in this poll, there aren't enough choices.

flames2dust77
03-15-2008, 11:33 AM
I can't be boxed into any of those. Need more choices.

uncollapse
03-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I can't be boxed into any of those. Need more choices.

i know the choices are not comprehensive enough. Is there any one of them that you are "most" incline to?

sophocles07
03-15-2008, 12:11 PM
No u uh punk

Joseph Hart
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Closed thread or revise options please. Poll is not suitable to my "moral inclination"
:P

nullvalu
03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Yeah I'd say I'm kind of a mix of all of these. This poll is pointless. :D

tangent4ronpaul
03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
Well, to hit a hornets nest with a baseball bat - I think both John "Nuke their ass and take their gas / Kill a "raghead" for God" McCain and Ron Paul fall into the "Consequentialism" category - it all depending on how you define a "good" outcome.

Hitlary and Oh-Bomb-Us I wouldn't even begin to know how to classify....

anyone?

-n

Highland
03-15-2008, 01:51 PM
I loved the poll and learned a lot by doing more research on the choices...brilliant of you to stretch our brains and see where we are more inclined to base our actions.

kpitcher
03-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Deontology has a few theories:

Rights Theories: an action is morally right if it adequately respects the rights of all humans (or at least all members of society). This is also sometimes referred to as Libertarianism, the political philosophy that people should be legally free to do whatever they wish so long as their actions do not impinge upon the rights of others.

A quick search has a decent little article on about.com (http://atheism.about.com/od/ethicalsystems/a/Deontological.htm)

uncollapse
03-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Deontology has a few theories:

Rights Theories: an action is morally right if it adequately respects the rights of all humans (or at least all members of society). This is also sometimes referred to as Libertarianism, the political philosophy that people should be legally free to do whatever they wish so long as their actions do not impinge upon the rights of others.

A quick search has a decent little article on about.com (http://atheism.about.com/od/ethicalsystems/a/Deontological.htm)

thanks for pointing out the correlation. Also to acknowledge that this thread was inspired by your posts in my previous thread. I somehow feel that the various political school of thoughts probably have some underlying moral principles.. which led me to this poll :)

uncollapse
03-15-2008, 06:43 PM
It seems by the definition of Virtue; As long as you have good intentions, the outcome: whatever it may be...is ok.

It seems to be so... and it is difficult to judge one's intentions..

Kludge
03-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Non-Aggression principle. Nothing else is needed.