PDA

View Full Version : CD with Videos for those without high-speed internet: *Critiques Requested*

Exponent
05-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I have been working on a CD that contains videos, largely from YouTube, for giving to people without high-speed internet. My primary motivation was my mom, but I've gone beyond just putting a bunch of videos on disc and mailing it to her, and instead made something that I think could be distributed to a lot of people.

I've gotten it to a point where I'd like to get other people's opinion of the overall layout. I used HTML, so it will open up in a browser, have links to the various sections, and so forth. I have uploaded this page, along with the relevant images, to a small piece of space I have on the web, here:

http://members.gamedev.net/andrew_gainey/RonPaul/

I would like any critique anybody has. Perhaps the layout could be improved. Perhaps it doesn't show up well in certain browsers (I've tested Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7), or in certain resolutions. Or any other suggestions people have.

I've stuck to interviews, speeches, and debates, avoiding the more stylistic videos, in order to reach people who just want basic information, and don't want content that tries to advertise or appeal to emotion in any significant way, so keep that in mind when looking at my selection. If interested, though, I will try to find a way to get the whole CD on the internet, and allow others to modify it as they see fit, making different collections of videos for different groups of people, modifying which textual sections are provided, and so forth. But for now, I'm just trying to get a basic version done.

Thanks for any help.

----------------------------------------
Update (June 18th, 2007)
----------------------------------------

A two disc set, designed to be distributed as a pair (though the first disc can be distributed by itself as well) is available as a straight-forward download here:

http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/

ratsbew
05-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow, very well done. You should make a zip file and upload it somewhere for people to download.
MegaUpload (http://www.megaupload.com/) allows filed of up to 500MB to be uploaded and downloaded freely.

xcalybur
05-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I love the page. Very well done, but none of the video links work. Please fix that.

Exponent
05-25-2007, 10:49 AM
I love the page. Very well done, but none of the video links work. Please fix that.
They weren't meant to. I don't have room on my webspace, but am just trying to get opinions on the layout. And thanks for the opinion! I'll try to get a zip on a site like MegaUpload like ratsbew suggested as soon as I'm ready to begin distributing it.

CurtisLow
05-25-2007, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Great job!
If you could upload the whole thing. I would love to burn 100 copies and pass them around. And note on the sleeve after there done with it to pass it to a friend.

Again, very nicely done!!!

Razmear
05-25-2007, 11:08 AM
Nice job, you might want to sort the videos with newest on top tho.
Don't want the first vid they see to be of Ron in a dorm room 3 months ago when it could be him speaking of current events.

eb

ratsbew
05-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I remember Josh (the guy who owns this forum) saying that he has 2TB per month of bandwidth, maybe you could talk to him about distribution?
Of course there is always the bittorrent method.

JoshLowry
05-25-2007, 11:43 AM
This is awesome.

I could host it but I'm not sure how it would effect server performance. It would probably be ideal to get a torrent of this cd.

After we get a torrent going, those who are technical could download it, then mass burn it to cds. Sending a 500mb link to someone is going to get a much smaller response rate.

I think you are right on target Exponent and it looks great. I think the debate compilation from the May 3rd debate should be front and center. Kind of like a "Watch this first"

You may want to put the videos at the very top as people can watch those and then dive into reading once they are interested.

I noticed your link to the May 3rd debate it goes to "http://members.gamedev.net/andrew_gainey/RonPaul/Videos/20070515_Debate.avi"

I know those links are not live, but it is linked to the May 15th debate.

This would be an awesome cd to pass out though. Please do let us know when it is available so that we can spread it.

Nice work!

Exponent
05-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Nice job, you might want to sort the videos with newest on top tho.
Don't want the first vid they see to be of Ron in a dorm room 3 months ago when it could be him speaking of current events.

eb
Yeah, I was trying to figure this out. At first, I had it sorted chronologically, but that put a whole lot of less significant videos up top. I decided to rearrange it as I saw fit. At that point, it becomes subjective as to what should go on top to get people's attention first. I wanted people to quickly see the videos that did a really excellent job of highlighting Dr. Paul's various views (such as the CNN candidacy announcement), but also provide some half-decent really short ones (some people are impatient). I tried to make the debates, responses to the debate, and so forth further down, because they don't do as good of a job covering all the issues. But like I said, other people will be free to (and probably should) rearrange according to how they think it will best reach those that they'll distribute it to.

Right now I'm attempting to get my computer to burn a CD, to test the icon and autoplay stuff, as well as make sure the links work (thanks Josh for that catch, I had a few messups apparently). (My darn computer doesn't have enough free space, and seems to insist on having over a gigabyte free on the C drive to burn a 600 megabyte CD, even though the files are already on the D drive, and I have plenty of free space there. Grr.)

I'll try to get a copy to you all as soon as I've confirmed that everything looks good.

UtahApocalypse
05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
It looks great. I think it will be good for use with those that have PC's and can just use a browser. Now if you or someone can make a DVD version that would be awesome.

a_texian
05-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Exponent,

You can't know just how grateful we "technologically challenged" folks would be to get a bunch of copies of something like this into our arsenal. That is BRILLIANTLY compiled and is a very attractive and professional layout too.

If this were to become a public-domain CD (or DVD), you can bet I'll be right there burning off oodles of copies to distribute amongst the masses in my area. I live way out in the sticks in Central Texas and almost everybody I know are ranchers, farmers and small town folks with limited computer/internet skills (including me). Almost all of 'em however have DVD players and satellite TV systems, so as long as it's compatible with that type of setup, I do think this could go a long way to influencing many of my pards out here in the Hills. A smaller percentage of them (maybe 30% to 40% of the folks I know) have computers, with the vast majority of them only having enough skills to surf the web and email. Something to maybe keep in mind with respect to us rural citizens. What I suppose I'm getting at is that the more simple and "cross platform" it is, the easier it'll be to get to the masses in my type of rural/small-town area.

Thanks for such a tremendous service. I'll keep a periodic eye on this thread to see when you've completed it and found a way to distribute it successfully.

Way to Go!

Ed Boyd
Central Texas

a_texian
05-26-2007, 07:38 AM
In retrospect, I suppose that a DVD version that could be played/viewed on any livingroom DVD player would have to have the videos and each "block" of talking points (ie., text) assigned it's own "chapter", so they could be viewed and in fact studied by the viewer without it scrolling. Does that make sense?

It'd surely go a long way towards getting such an awesome compilation of info (kudos once again) to the many, many masses who don't have a computer.

Thanks again!

austinphish
05-26-2007, 08:58 AM
i think it is a great idea. i am always trying to get my friends to watch important DVDs (Waco - Rules of Engagement, Fog of War, Manufacturing Consent, Corporation).

Anywho keep up the good work fellow patriot.

Exponent
05-26-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm working on making a final zip right now, though it's taking a while, as I have to copy a bunch of files from my laptop, which is out of space, to my desktop. I spent yesterday getting auto-play to work, which I am figuring will be an important feature for those who aren't very techy (who wants to open up the CD drive in My Computer and figure out to click index.html?). And this morning I added the two Bill Maher videos, and the May 22nd speech on the floor of the House, bringing the total size up to 649 MB.

As for DVDs and such, this disc will require a computer, and won't work through any TV-based entertainment system. I do not have the knowledge or the hardware to do a DVD, unfortunatley, but perhaps others will.

I also do not know if it is Mac-compatible. I will have two versions, an AVI version and a WMV version. I might also make another AVI version using a different codec (it is currently using a slightly old but rather standard codec from Microsoft), as well as an MPEG version. If anyone has the ability to make a Quicktime version, that'd be excellent.

I will report back as soon as I have zip files uploaded and accessible.

Exponent
05-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Finally!

Okay, I have two zip files, one for AVI, and one for WMV. All you need to do is unzip the files, and copy the files directly into the root folder of a blank CD.

The current (probably temporary) URL for the AVI zip is:
http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=b93aee0

The URL for the WMV zip is:
http://d01.megashares.com/?d01=4ac2b21

(

The FAQ for megashares.com says this:

How long will my files remain on Megashares?
Your file will remain available through your unique download link as long as there is 1 download in the first 7 days and 5 downloads in 25 days which restarts the 25-day counter.
)

And if anyone is willing to host these files on a more permanent server, that'd be great.

CurtisLow
05-27-2007, 11:31 PM
I don't understand the site? Need to get it uploaded to an FTP site. I'm looking into it.

Your Download Passport is: 2da136f53be6b6cd2867f9bf3
You have 250 MB left that you can download with this passport.
Your download passport will renew in 0:113:50.

Exponent
05-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I don't understand the site? Need to get it uploaded to an FTP site. I'm looking into it.

Your Download Passport is: 2da136f53be6b6cd2867f9bf3
You have 250 MB left that you can download with this passport.
Your download passport will renew in 0:113:50.
Hmm, that sucks. Didn't know the service was weird like that. I had problems finding any other sites that allowed more than 300 or 500 MB. Yeah, if there was some private FTP, that'd be excellent.

ratsbew
05-28-2007, 12:52 AM
You can always use bittorrent for distribution. Here is a tutorial in case you don't know how to make a torrent. (http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-create-a-torrent/)

Exponent
05-28-2007, 09:33 AM
You can always use bittorrent for distribution. Here is a tutorial in case you don't know how to make a torrent. (http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-create-a-torrent/)
Well, duh! *smacks forehead* Thanks, I totally forgot about BitTorrent. I haven't actually used it for uploads yet, so it didn't occur to me to do so this time.

Okay, then. Assuming I did this correctly, you can get the two torrent files here in this single zip:

RonPaul2008_VideoCD_Torrents.zip (http://members.gamedev.net/andrew_gainey/RonPaul/RonPaul2008_VideoCD_Torrents.zip)

I'd just post the individual torrents, but GameDev restricts file types to a limited set, and .torrent isn't a part of that set. Hopefully this is a minor issue.

(And yes, my strange mix of up-to-date and out-of-date computer skills are silly. What can you do? :) )

CurtisLow
05-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Exponent!

........I can't open it? Can someone tell me what program to use to open it. ty!

Exponent
05-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Have you extracted the zip file, to get the two .torrent files?

RonPaul2008_VideoCD_AVI.zip.torrent
RonPaul2008_VideoCD_WMV.zip.torrent

If you've gotten that far, then I suppose you need a BitTorrent client. I've been using Azureus (http://azureus.sourceforge.net/index.php). Others have been recommended in this other thread (http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=661).

Once you've downloaded it from BitTorrent, then you just need to unzip the files again. Those files can then be burned straight to a CD.

I'm new to uploading over BitTorrent, though, so I might be missing a vital step on my end. I'd appreciate it if anyone who tries downloading it lets me know if they succeeded or failed.

Exponent
05-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I have updated the files. I think I may have done something wrong previously, and wasn't properly seeding the torrents correctly. The link is the same, but the .torrent files inside the zip file are different. If it wasn't working before, try redownloading from here (http://members.gamedev.net/andrew_gainey/RonPaul/RonPaul2008_VideoCD_Torrents.zip) and hopefully it'll work this time.

Sheesh, I'll figure this stuff out if it's the last thing I do!

LibertyEagle
05-28-2007, 04:38 PM
I think it's great. Though, I would include the "Educating Rudy" press conference and the subsequent Dome Nation video interview.

The only other thing is to me the dorm room interview is extremely boring and I love Ron Paul. If it has that effect on me, I wonder what others that aren't so sold on him will think?

Overall, I think your work is fantastic! This could be what we need to burn tons of copies of and pass out to those folks who have CD players, but aren't internet savvy.

Thanks for such a wonderful job.

thomaspaine23
06-02-2007, 12:07 AM
#1 Use a program like VCD Maker 4.0 (tucows.com) to make a video CD that will
play in ALOT (but not all) DVD players.

#2 Communicate with video remarks first and an "in depth" option later.

#3 torrent it, and you need people to keep the torrents available

#4 Youtube video snippets with torrent filename included and a blurb like
Distribute this to your friends without computers, here's how:

1. DL torrent
2. Burn VCD
3. hand them out

I'm sure there are alot of people willing to burn discs but they lack the know-how
to do so.

Exponent
06-02-2007, 11:15 AM
#1 Use a program like VCD Maker 4.0 (tucows.com) to make a video CD that will
play in ALOT (but not all) DVD players.

#2 Communicate with video remarks first and an "in depth" option later.

#3 torrent it, and you need people to keep the torrents available

#4 Youtube video snippets with torrent filename included and a blurb like
Distribute this to your friends without computers, here's how:

1. DL torrent
2. Burn VCD
3. hand them out

I'm sure there are alot of people willing to burn discs but they lack the know-how
to do so.
I tried keeping a torrent up myself (though I've never uploaded through a torrent before, so I don't know if I've done it correctly), but no one has downloaded it, so I'm still the only source for now. I was keeping my computer on all the time, but after so many days, I started shutting it down, when there wasn't any activity.

As for VCD, I'll look at that.

I did mean to add YouTube links with the videos, but forgot. Maybe I'll work on a second version. Probably after the 3rd debate, when I can add new stuff in. (I kinda burned myself out working on this. Pathetic, but true.)

Swmorgan77
06-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I have put together a CD-ROM with an autoplay menu with 4 folders for:

Links,

Videos,

Archived Web Pages and articles

Audio MP3.

Everything is self-contained so that those will no/slow internet will not have a problem.

The movies are all quicktime MP4 and I also included the install quicktime .exe

What is the best way to get the .iso file out? I only have a cable connection, so limited upload speed. I could drop a few of these in the mail to the right people to get them out.

swmorgan77@yahooo.com

RonPaul DVD
06-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Most frustrating. I downloaded the avi and wmv files in the zip. I downloaded .torrent through Azureus and I see each zip folders on the home page but I can't figure out how to get them to play.

I also tried to open them from my computer but I just keep getting a message in a little box in the lower right hand corner saying that it has already been added to the download list.

Does anyone have any suggestions on we can see this CD and burn copies of it?

Exponent
06-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Most frustrating. I downloaded the avi and wmv files in the zip. I downloaded .torrent through Azureus and I see each zip folders on the home page but I can't figure out how to get them to play.

I also tried to open them from my computer but I just keep getting a message in a little box in the lower right hand corner saying that it has already been added to the download list.

Does anyone have any suggestions on we can see this CD and burn copies of it?
Sorry, I was getting ready to go to bed, and having seen no activity still, I closed Azureus. I've opened it again, and this time, it looks a wee bit different, with Peers and Seeds for the files both saying "0 (1)"; that (1) wasn't there before, so maybe it'll work be working now.

I should add, if you're having some problems with Azureus, one of the things that I had a hard time figuring out, but finally did figure out, was how to get the Advanced mode to actually show anything. To get it to show properly, you need to go to the View menu, and choose Advanced, and then go to the View menu again, and choose My Torrents. Then you can see specific info on each item, how much has downloaded, and so forth.

What is the best way to get the .iso file out? I only have a cable connection, so limited upload speed. I could drop a few of these in the mail to the right people to get them out.

I'm having difficulty getting the data out, too. I'm trying BitTorrent right now, but I've never used it, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. If it's all correct, though, it simply appears that very few are trying to download it. If you get a few people to get your iso, then you no longer really have to worry about your speed, and I'd suspect even with cable, you'd be able to upload it to another person in only a fraction of a day. I don't know how slow cable upload is, but I would be surprised if it was *really* bad.

Lauxa
06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
You should send this to the RonPaul2008 webmaster. I think there should be a Ron Paul videos segment on that website and you've made a nice layout for that.

Lauxa
06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Just tried downloading, but I guess there's no torrents out there right now. Maybe a torrent isn't the way to go for this, since there will be a relatively small distribution. Torrents seem to work best when there are 20+ seeds.

I did a google search for "distribute large files online reliable" and came up with this:
http://www.freefilehosting.ws/

I haven't tried it, but it seems to be the type of thing that is needed...

Exponent
06-04-2007, 05:08 PM
Okay, since none of that is working, I'll go back to trying file hosting sites. But most of them don't allow the 600+ MB files I have, so that limited my options. This time, I've split the files up into 7 pieces, each under 100 MB.

So far, I've only uploaded the AVI version. Here are the links to all the pieces:

AVI.z01 (http://files.filefront.com//;7692061;;/)
AVI.z02 (http://files.filefront.com//;7692420;;/)
AVI.z03 (http://files.filefront.com//;7692720;;/)
AVI.z04 (http://files.filefront.com//;7692950;;/)
AVI.z05 (http://files.filefront.com//;7693616;;/)
AVI.z06 (http://files.filefront.com//;7693912;;/)
AVI.zip (http://files.filefront.com//;7694013;;/)

To open the files, just have them all in the same folder, and open the last one, AVI.zip, in a zip program that can handle split files. I've used TUGZip (you can download it for free at http://www.tugzip.com/), and I'm sure WinZip will work too. I don't know about the standard Windows XP zip functionality, though.

Bradley in DC
06-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Since you seem to have way too much times on your hands:rolleyes: , I'd like to make some humble suggestions:

As Tip O'Neill used to say, "all politics is local." With that in mind, making state-specific ones would go a long way. Specifically, I'm suggesting tesimonials from Iowans for the Iowa version, perhaps footage from their meetup group or other activities where local people would recognize the accent, possibly locations, etc.

Also, from the limited demographic breakdown of poll support I've seen, Dr. Paul is pulling much more support from women than men (the 3% statewide in NH by Zogby showed him with 6% support among women--do the math). Having women narrators, etc, as prominently as possible (think Rachel!), should help. Hopefully only the battered wives would identify with Rudy, but I digress...

Exponent
06-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Since you seem to have way too much times on your hands:rolleyes: , I'd like to make some humble suggestions:

As Tip O'Neill used to say, "all politics is local." With that in mind, making state-specific ones would go a long way. Specifically, I'm suggesting tesimonials from Iowans for the Iowa version, perhaps footage from their meetup group or other activities where local people would recognize the accent, possibly locations, etc.

Also, from the limited demographic breakdown of poll support I've seen, Dr. Paul is pulling much more support from women than men (the 3% statewide in NH by Zogby showed him with 6% support among women--do the math). Having women narrators, etc, as prominently as possible (think Rachel!), should help. Hopefully only the battered wives would identify with Rudy, but I digress...
Indeed, I'd be glad to do such customization. I will need some help with this, though, because I'm not really skilled at all at knowing what would catch any specific group's interest. (I'm not really familiar with a very diverse group of people, being a bit of a non-social shut-in. :) )

So if anyone has any suggestions for which videos to use for a particular demographic, post a link to YouTube for example, with a description of who it'd be targeted to. Or if there are any support/oppose/voting record items, quotes, website links, or so forth, post those, too. If I get enough information, I might compile a different version.

I will be looking at this issue on my own as well, but be warned that I'm pretty bad at anything that is even remotely associated with an "advertisement-like feel", or trying to leave out certain elements to target a certain group. It strains my brain somewhat. So again, help would be appreciated, if available.

thomaspaine23
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey Exponent,

I'm kind of in the same boat. I just put a request in the Iowa 4 paul group, to see
if there is interest and if I can get some interview video from locals there, and a feeling for what the important issues might be.

BTW tell me what you think :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X4-AAdSTTm8

Exponent
06-04-2007, 11:55 PM
BTW tell me what you think :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X4-AAdSTTm8
Pretty good, I suppose, although I'll be honest: These types of videos aren't really what interest me. I haven't really looked at many of these types of videos. I'm primarily interested in just straight information in a really basic format. Thus, my CD has just interviews, speeches, and debates on them, no compiled videos set to music.

However, I'm sure some people would love to have a CD with such videos on them. That's one of those places where my judgment falls flat on its face.

Oh, and the WMV version of my CD is also available on FileFront.com, and here are the pieces:

WMV.z01 (http://files.filefront.com//;7695193;;/)
WMV.z02 (http://files.filefront.com//;7695393;;/)
WMV.z03 (http://files.filefront.com//;7695607;;/)
WMV.z04 (http://files.filefront.com//;7695896;;/)
WMV.z05 (http://files.filefront.com//;7696065;;/)
WMV.z06 (http://files.filefront.com//;7696240;;/)
WMV.zip (http://files.filefront.com//;7696323;;/)

I'll test them out tomorrow to make sure they all work and there's no corruption.

thomaspaine23
06-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Dl'd the first avi will check it out. I'd say a small ISO around 300MB would be good, some relevant video clips in VCD format and then include links to
videos on you tube etc.

I'm off to watch the daily show, let you know what i think of avi.

L8r

ksuguy
06-05-2007, 12:19 AM
Looks good, but I would definitely include Aravoth's Stop Dreaming video set to American Pie.

nayjevin
06-10-2007, 07:56 AM
this is excellent. the improvements necessary IMO are fresh videos as they come out, definitely the addition of Avaroth videos, Mac compatibility, and making this a torrent.

NON TECH SAVVY PEOPLE:
I suggest you make your group aware of this thread at your next meetup and let someone who knows what they are doing produce the CD's. Then anybody can duplicate them.

We also need a central location for the torrent links to always be displayed, a website, or a sticky, or whatever. As improvements/updates/new versions are made, that webpage/sticky can be updated.

thanks, this CD is great. :p

JohnCrabtree
06-12-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't have high speed internet. Is there anyway that you could burn me a CD and send it to me, I have no problem payig for the postage and disc. I would greatly like to copy this product and distribute it in mass to the people in my area (Berrien County SW Michigan)
my email is
Crabtreej @ gmail . com

Thank you,
-John Crabtree

RonPaul4President
06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Exponent, you did an amazing job on the index page. Very patriotic looking. I have viewed several videos and they work flawlessly. Beautiful work.

THANK YOU!

Exponent
06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Exponent, you did an amazing job on the index page. Very patriotic looking. I have viewed several videos and they work flawlessly. Beautiful work.

THANK YOU!
Thanks for the encouragement!

Look forward to a new version with new videos and minor tweaks next week, along with a second disc with the more stylistic videos and additional interviews/speeches that didn't fit on disc 1.

angrydragon
06-13-2007, 12:59 AM
Use this.
http://www.orbitfiles.com/

LibertyEagle
06-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Exponent, you're great! Thanks so much for all the hard work on this.

Swmorgan77
06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't have high speed internet. Is there anyway that you could burn me a CD and send it to me, I have no problem payig for the postage and disc. I would greatly like to copy this product and distribute it in mass to the people in my area (Berrien County SW Michigan)
my email is
Crabtreej @ gmail . com

Thank you,
-John Crabtree

I just sent you an email about this. I can mail stuff out to you (don't worry about postage) when I get your mailing address.

Exponent
06-13-2007, 05:33 PM
I just sent you an email about this. I can mail stuff out to you (don't worry about postage) when I get your mailing address.
I've already got it covered (I had emailed him privately). Thanks, though.

beermotor
06-14-2007, 08:48 AM
What is the status on this? is it completed? I was just thinking, we should start mailing these to people in Iowa (especially) and maybe South Carolina.

We can get out meetups to do this.

Any thoughts?

CJLauderdale4
06-14-2007, 08:51 AM
Definitiely. I am teamed up with both the Constitution Party, and the Libertarian Party down here in Broward. I am also communicating with several meetups from Orlando to Miami.

With Florida being one of the first primaries this time, we need to get some positive media out to the people as soon as possible...

Exponent
06-14-2007, 11:12 AM
What is the status on this? is it completed? I was just thinking, we should start mailing these to people in Iowa (especially) and maybe South Carolina.

We can get out meetups to do this.

Any thoughts?
Look for a new version this weekend. More up-to-date, minor technical fixes, and 2 full discs, 1385 megabytes, worth of videos.

beermotor
06-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Ok - because I think I am going to bring this up to my meetup tonight, and we may start looking to produce these things en masse and ship 'em to Iowa, New Hampshire, etc.

Exponent
06-16-2007, 10:08 AM
To whomever I distributed CDs to physically last night at the KC thing (my apologies for forgetting names, I absolutely suck at social things), there is one error on the second disc. It's minor, but I regret not checking for it. I was in a hurry today, when I found out that both my computers were being very stubborn when it came to burning CDs.

If you make a copy, the first time, do not make a direct copy, but copy the files onto your hard drive, and then open the file index.html in notepad, or any other text editor. Do a find/replace as follows:

Replace this (without the quotes):

"20070603_Speech_NoninterventionTheOriginalForeignP olicy_Large.png"

With this (again, no quotes):

"20070603_Speech_NoninterventionTheOriginalForeignP olicy_Larg.png"

The CD burning software cut off the length of my filename. It's just a thumbnail for a video, but it looks a little tacky when it doesn't work.

I'm in the process of zipping/uploading the discs now (with the above problem fixed), so I'll have links later. I'll go ahead and use the same FileFront site I used before, but was there some problems with it? I've seen lots of suggestions for different sites, and now that I've split the file up into 100 MB chunks, I can use a different one if the FileFront one works less than adequately. I'll also re-attempt making a torrent, since there seems to be more interest this time, and I might be able to get some seeds more easily.

Exponent
06-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Disc 1 is available. (Note that this is all wmv this time. If someone needs a different format, I can do that too; just make the request.)

RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z01 (http://files.filefront.com//;7800818;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z02 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801083;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z03 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801358;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z04 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801596;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z05 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801836;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z06 (http://files.filefront.com//;7802058;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.zip (http://files.filefront.com//;7802444;;/)

Exponent
06-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Disc 2:

RonPaul08_Set2_Disc2.z01 (http://files.filefront.com//;7802786;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc2.z02 (http://files.filefront.com//;7803023;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc2.z03 (http://files.filefront.com//;7803236;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc2.z04 (http://files.filefront.com//;7803797;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc2.z05 (http://files.filefront.com//;7803798;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc2.zip (http://files.filefront.com//;7803800;;/)

Torrent on the way, hopefully...

Exponent
06-16-2007, 08:58 PM
An attempt at a torrent is contained in the zip file located here:

20070616_VideoCollection2_Torrent.zip (http://members.gamedev.net/andrew_gainey/RonPaul/20070616_VideoCollection2_Torrent.zip)

Although I've been offered some space on someone's server, so I may have a nice convenient non-split file download available soon.

Freedom
06-17-2007, 12:59 PM
You've done a fantastic job on these Exponent! I've downloaded both sets and burned them onto some CDs to pass around. Keep up the great work!

berkeleybound
06-18-2007, 03:29 PM
These are posted now here, and iso's are available.

Exponent
06-18-2007, 03:42 PM
These are posted now here, and iso's are available.
Hah, I was just going to post this, since my last upload finished, and here it already is. Nice. :) And thanks again for offering to host it.

Freedom
06-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Here is a CD label that I made for the two Ron Paul CDs that Exponent created.

http://files.meetup.com/524832/Snapshot.jpg

To get the source Word document, go to: http://ronpaul.meetup.com/288/files/ (http://ronpaul.meetup.com/288/files/)

Then click on the "Ron Paul Disc Label" file to download it.

These labels are made for Avery Matte White CD Labels #8692. The red circle shows the outline of where the edge of the CD label should be. You can use it to adjust the picture for your particular printer. Delete the red circle before you print the actual label.

angrydragon
06-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Is there a DVD version?

Man from La Mancha
06-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Dvd blanks are about as cheap as cd's and burning one disk is also easier. I think you have done a nice job of this. But you left out the fun stuff. I've discovered a dozen good music video's and one good comedy one. The dvd would also hold much more.

As far as a tv playable one, I've found that you can't get much more than 4.5 hours of half way decent quality video on a disk. With a dvd you can put both TV viewable videos and computer data files together so I'm guessing you could put your original files on a dvd plus several hours of tv videos also. This dvd would then work on dvd players and computers.

I've used a program called Ulead MovieFactory 2se to do this on my project "How to cure all incurable disease's"

My rate of recording these tv viewable videos was at 2000kps. It's been a while since I have done this but I could talk to you it about by phone. I hate typing it's so slow. Message me if you interested

Man from La Mancha
06-19-2007, 01:58 PM
I have an epson r300 ink jet printer and have order a continuous ink supply for about $60 with ink for 100's of photos shipped and figured it cost about 10 cents in ink for a full 8x10 color photo when I buy ink in bulk. Type in, continuous ink, on ebay they have them for many printers.

There are many epson type printers that will print directly on a DVD. I bought a refurbished one at FRY'S for $60 and with a continuous ink supply you can print dvd's in full color for about 2 cents of ink per dvd.

Exponent
06-23-2007, 12:49 PM
I should probably reply to some of these recent posts. I've been a bit distracted this week, sorry.

To Freedom: Nice label. I don't have any ability to do labels, or any experience with how the software or hardware works, so I hardly even thought of doing that.

To angrydragon: No DVD. I don't have a DVD burner, and only have access to YouTube videos, and as has been described elsewhere, DVDs with YouTube-quality videos don't look so good. So I haven't worked on a DVD. But you have almost certainly seen the thread on the DVD for Iowa (http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4044).

To Man from La Mancha: Regarding videos, I tried to get some more fun ones on the second disc (see here (http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/Set2/Disc2/index.html)), though I'm sure I missed some, or had judgments that were different from other people about what would be worthwhile to include. I wouldn't mind links, in case I get around to yet another version. That will likely wait until after the August 5th Iowa debate, though.

Regarding half TV-viewable/half PC-viewable, again, no DVD burner. :( Anyone else is free to modify my stuff though, if they have some time, and think they also have good judgment about how to improve it (which wouldn't surprise me; my judgment is limited).

cac1963
06-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Disc 1 is available. (Note that this is all wmv this time. If someone needs a different format, I can do that too; just make the request.)

RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z01 (http://files.filefront.com//;7800818;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z02 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801083;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z03 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801358;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z04 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801596;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z05 (http://files.filefront.com//;7801836;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.z06 (http://files.filefront.com//;7802058;;/)
RonPaul08_Set2_Disc1.zip (http://files.filefront.com//;7802444;;/)

Thanks for this. I'm testing it out now and intend to tweak it just a bit, but one of my favorite clips that you include in your video listing is actually missing from the disk.
This file is not in the videos directory:
20070605_Interview_NewHampshirePublicRadio.wmv

Can you upload it separately so we can add it to the directory before burning the CD?

I'm also going to mod the code to embed the media player so that it doesn't open a new window with no way to get back to the index every time you click a video file.

Otherwise this thing is perfect. Thank you so much for all this work!

Exponent
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for this. I'm testing it out now and intend to tweak it just a bit, but one of my favorite clips that you include in your video listing is actually missing from the disk.
This file is not in the videos directory:
20070605_Interview_NewHampshirePublicRadio.wmv

Can you upload it separately so we can add it to the directory before burning the CD?

I'm also going to mod the code to embed the media player so that it doesn't open a new window with no way to get back to the index every time you click a video file.

Otherwise this thing is perfect. Thank you so much for all this work!
Strange. My ISOs and zips from http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/ seem to have the video file. I'm checking right now to confirm that the multi-part zip is missing it. Meanwhile, I have uploaded the file to http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/Set2/Disc1/Videos/20070605_Interview_NewHampshirePublicRadio.wmv.

(Okay, I just got done redownloading it, and the file is there. Dunno what happened for it to be missing for you, but it seems to be there. Maybe I have a wrong filename or something, though? I tried to go through and click all the links the ensure they worked. :-/)

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to have a look at what the embedding code looks like. I could probably look it up, but if you wouldn't mind posting an example for any one of the videos, I'd appreciate it. I'll probably make yet another version eventually, and that'd be a nice thing to include, I agree.

Also, I think I need to make a different version of the style disc. I designed the current disc 2 to accompany disc 1 as a 2-disc set, but I think some people are wanting to use disc 2 on its own. If that's the case, then some of the interviews/speeches need to be removed and replaced by some of the ones on disc 1. So I may make such a disc available, along with updates like the embedded media player, within a few weeks.

torchbearer
06-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, duh! *smacks forehead* Thanks, I totally forgot about BitTorrent. I haven't actually used it for uploads yet, so it didn't occur to me to do so this time.

Okay, then. Assuming I did this correctly, you can get the two torrent files here in this single zip:

RonPaul2008_VideoCD_Torrents.zip (http://members.gamedev.net/andrew_gainey/RonPaul/RonPaul2008_VideoCD_Torrents.zip)

I'd just post the individual torrents, but GameDev restricts file types to a limited set, and .torrent isn't a part of that set. Hopefully this is a minor issue.

(And yes, my strange mix of up-to-date and out-of-date computer skills are silly. What can you do? :) )

How big are the files? I can host them from my record label web server if they aren't GBs in size.

Exponent
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
How big are the files? I can host them from my record label web server if they aren't GBs in size.
Thanks to berkeleybound, as you can see a few posts above, I now have them hosted at http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/. (Maybe I should edit my original post to highlight this fact.) Thanks for the offer, though.

torchbearer
06-27-2007, 01:55 PM
if you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I have a lot of resources at my disposal, just not liquid cash.

cac1963
06-27-2007, 03:09 PM
(Okay, I just got done redownloading it, and the file is there. Dunno what happened for it to be missing for you, but it seems to be there. Maybe I have a wrong filename or something, though? I tried to go through and click all the links the ensure they worked. :-/)

My bad. The file is present and named correctly. My firefox didn't see it, and my tired eyes didn't see it either. I looked this morning and it's there, plain as day. Sorry about that.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to have a look at what the embedding code looks like. I could probably look it up, but if you wouldn't mind posting an example for any one of the videos, I'd appreciate it. I'll probably make yet another version eventually, and that'd be a nice thing to include, I agree.

Here is a simple embed code, but only works with IE browsers with WMP v. 7 or higher. I'm adding javascript to detect browser and player embed the player properly based on the browser, and that's taking a while. Here's the simple code for IE only:

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="290" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="Videos/20070427_Interview_ConversationWithTheCandidate.wm v">
<PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="false">
<PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false">
<PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false">
<EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="Videos/20070427_Interview_ConversationWithTheCandidate.wm v" NAME="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="320" HEIGHT="290" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="0"> </EMBED>
</OBJECT>

FreedomforAmerica
10-09-2007, 10:13 AM
It looks very inviting! The layout exhibits an excellent stream of logical thought! My only recommendations would be to add to the intro banner, "Vote Ron Paul President 2008" and somewhere near the beginning there should be a link to possibly 5 specific actions a person can take in order to get involved, support Ron Paul and make a difference.

I educate adults for a living. 3 rules of education.

1. Say what you want to say.
2. Show the logic for what you're saying.
3. Suggest the specific application, action or implementation you want them to take and how.

Thank you for your wonderful work on this CD! You are a blessing!