PDA

View Full Version : Witnesses of Ron Paul

Wyurm
08-18-2007, 09:43 AM
I Posted this on the other forum (no "s") but it needs to be posted here. If anyone wants to do this and needs help, just send me a PM.

Ok, first I have to ask that you please not turn this into a discussion of religious beliefs, that's not what this thread is about, rather I want to present an idea that I'm borrowing from a religious organization. An idea that will really help us spread the message we need to spread without the media's help.

Jehovah's Witnesses are a religious organization that almost never gets favorable media coverage. They have been featured in shows like 60 minutes, but usually as scathing hit-pieces and exposes. Often, their actual beliefs are twisted or the "facts" are taken from people that have a bone to pick with the religion. Sound familiar? Well, they still have substantial growth, infact I'm sure you've seen them where you live.

They have alot harder sell than we do, we just need two votes per person (primary and general), they are asking for people to transform their entire lives. Give up certain vises, go to their Kingdom Hall (what they call their church) 3 times a week, and go door to door to spread the message of their church to bring in more people. All we are asking for is 2 hours of their life, and if they feel motivated to, a little help at our meetups. And a donation to the campaign would be nice too. But, thats all.

So, how do Jehovah's Witnesses grow? Simple, they go door to door. I'm sure some of you have already done this in your own areas, but the difference is they have a specific method of doing it. Infact, one of the days they go to church is actually dedicated to teaching how to effectively speak to people. It is essentially a public speaking class, but it lasts for as long as you are in the church. Not only that, but they have tools to help them handle certain common arguments while they are in the field. They have a book called "Reasoning from the Scriptures" that gives short notes and scriptures to use as a response to certain arguments. Also, they use territory maps to organize their efforts. A territory map is just a map of the city and surrounding areas split up into smaller sections and loaned out to members at request. If one map is recently turned in, they will cycle it to the back and hand out a map that hasn't been covered much next. They also keep track of those who are not at home, and people that insist they never call again. They meet every day of the week, but the largest showing is usually on Sat.. At 9:00 a.m. they have a small meeting to discuss a topic they will focus on, then they head to a territory, and start preaching.

First, we need to come up with a list of common arguments people present to us and appropriate responses to the arguments. The territory maps would be a good idea as well as they keep you from overlapping which could annoy people. Just go to their door, knock, and introduce yourself. Mention that you are calling to let them know about Ron Paul, offer them a slim jim or pamphlet. If they accept, inform them of the site, the need to register republican, and if they seem receptive, mention that they can donate if they feel so inclined.

If they invite you in, keep in mind that spending too much time in one location takes you away from others you could be talking to. Also while its rare with JW's there will likely be a higher occurance of people that will pretend you have a chance to convert them, when really they are just trying to waste your time so you can't speak to others. Also, JW's go door-to-door in twos for a good reason. Its alot safer, don't do this alone. Make sure you have another person with you, and be mindful of the neighborhood you are in.

Will the police bother you? Yes, especially if you don't obey "no soliciting" signs. Also, some cities have no soliciting ordinances where you have to have a permit to go door-to-door. Watch out for dogs, etc.... Don't be pushy, its their decision not yours, but they can't decide on Dr. Paul if they don't know about him. Don't overdo it. JW's go from 9 to 12 then those still willing to continue come back at 1:00 p.m.

Oh, and if the police do question you as to what you are doing, be respectful, explain and even tell them about Ron Paul. Police are voters to. If they tell you to stop, stop and make sure your city has no rules about soliciting.

If you have other questions, etc.... let me know, I'll post this on forums when its back up. (oh and I suggest EVERY Saturday)

jj111
08-18-2007, 09:54 AM
If you carry voter registration materials with you, wouldn't that protect you from a police ordering you to stop? Isn't it legal everywhere to do door-to-door voter registration drives?

Wyurm
08-18-2007, 09:56 AM
I you carry voter registration materials with you, wouldn't that protect you from a police ordering you to stop? Isn't it legal everywhere to do door-to-door voter registration drives?

Thats a really good idea, I didn't event think of that, thank you JJ111.