PDA

View Full Version : An idea that others may wish to take up on their own

CopperheadNC
03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi all - I don't post to forums much, so please do not disregard this idea based on my post count.

I think it is clearly evident that the vast majority of Americans do not have the same opinion of government that we have. I think that the numbers we saw during the campaign on the internet fooled many of us into thinking that the country is ready for Liberty. I think that the numbers we saw in actual votes brought many of us back to reality. Therefore, it is my opinion that in order to change America, we have to work hard to wake people up to the reality that government is by its very nature inefficient and ridiculous. This will not be accomplished only by supporting a handful of Liberty candidates (although I am doing that as well, and think it is an important step). We need to focus our efforts on swaying public opinion against government. What we need is agitprop.

I am starting a bit of a "Simon Jester"* campaign locally. I have been driving around my region with a camera, looking for examples of government stupidity. I have already collected some great photos of run down section 8 housing, expensive transportation projects that have gone way overbudget and that will have minimal impact on solving local transportation issues, open criminal activity despite heavy police presence, crumbling infrastructure ... the list goes on. When I have collected enough "Evidence," my plan is to create thousands of flyers with these pictures and plaster them anywhere that common citizens will get a chance to see them, with a sentence or two of common sense that anyone would have to agree with.

My goal is not to support any single ideology or movement or candidate, but hopefully plant a seed in a lot of people's heads that their government doesn't work. I have no delusions that what I am doing is going to have a gigantic impact, but my hope is that it spreads and that other local freedom lovers will take it upon themselves to join in on their own.

If you have a camera and a lot of printer paper, and think this is a good idea, take it up locally.

Thanks.

* The basic premise for this idea comes from a great sci-fi novel by Robert A. Heinlein called The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I strongly recommend this book.

micahnelson
03-14-2008, 07:47 AM
What you propose is monkeywrenching, and i support it fully. The system is broken and most people don't realize they can change it.

If possible, give people some way to respond or act on the information you've given them.

acptulsa
03-14-2008, 07:51 AM
I think you've hit the nail on the head, and if this is an example of the kind of post you do put up here, I wish you'd do it more often. Was it News of the Weird the other week that said that the USDA and the FDA have their responsibilities so closely divided to avoid stepping on each other' toes that one is in charge of open face ham and cheese sandwiches and the other is in charge of ham and cheese sandwiches with two slices of bread?

This kind of education is vitally important. Good luck with your project. See if you can find that perfect combination of incredibly funny and exceptionally sad!

micahnelson
03-14-2008, 07:56 AM
And post it here too. It would be awesome if we had some sort of a wiki to document this. These are the sort of things that go viral and get people thinking.

CopperheadNC
03-14-2008, 07:58 AM
What do you guys think of the basic non-centralization of this idea? The fact that I am not posting any organization or individual as the source of the information, but just the information itself, is key to what I want to do.

acptulsa
03-14-2008, 08:00 AM
What do you guys think of the basic non-centralization of this idea? The fact that I am not posting any organization or individual as the source of the information, but just the information itself, is key to what I want to do.

That should help it to get in under certain people's defenses. In other cases, it won't matter, but why not?

princessredtights
03-14-2008, 08:03 AM
I think it's a great idea!

One of the best things we can do is teach people to THINK and to NOT be "sheeple" anymore ...

CopperheadNC
03-14-2008, 08:04 AM
That should help it to get in under certain people's defenses. In other cases, it won't matter, but why not?

I don't want to confuse the message with a messenger.

For example, if people say "Oh this is just a Ron Paul supporter - they are nuts," the message is lost. If people just see the information, with no clue as to the source, they can focus just on that.

Also, I would love to see individuals pick this up on their own, without any sort of direction from anyone else.

micahnelson
03-14-2008, 08:04 AM

Organizations can be sued. Don't be one if you don't need to be, lol. Not labeling it is a good way to avoid people dismissing it, maybe. You'll have to see. I think you're making the right choice not slapping some logo on it.

I still wanna see these things posted online too, posted anon. of course.

WilliamC
03-14-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm all for spreading truth and dissent all in the same message.

Thanks for doing this!

Heinlein was ahead of his time too!

micahnelson
03-14-2008, 08:11 AM
"Defiant" has become a favorite word of mine.

acptulsa
03-14-2008, 08:15 AM
I don't want to confuse the message with a messenger.

For example, if people say "Oh this is just a Ron Paul supporter - they are nuts," the message is lost. If people just see the information, with no clue as to the source, they can focus just on that.

Also, I would love to see individuals pick this up on their own, without any sort of direction from anyone else.

I've done well in the past by selling libertarian ideals without using Dr. Paul's name, getting agreement, then coming in behind and saying, "Not bad for a Ron Paul supporter, eh?" There are ways to convince them we're rational.