PDA

View Full Version : More from Minnesota

fatdumb
03-14-2008, 12:37 AM
In Minnesota it has been a rather quiet revolution, but a revolution nonetheless. Ron Paul's followers show up regularly on radio call-in shows. But their real impact may be percolating just below the surface of MN grassroots politics. Wright County's delegation to CD6 consists of an estimated 81% Ron Paul devotees. Wright County's delegation to the State Convention consists of an estimated 60% Ron Paul devotees. That's a recipe for a dramatic impact no matter how you look at it.

The apparent Ron Paul strategy is to force a brokered republican national convention. That will take some serious choreography. It is possible that there are a lot more Ron Paul supporters out there that we don't know about. They very well could hold high numbers in the ranks of the delegations from other states. By design the incredible grassroots Ron Paul revolution is keeping a pretty low profile. The question is, how effective will they be? And once this election cycle is over, how dedicated will they be to the future success of the republican party?

There is an argument that the people are no longer wooed by the idea of being labelled republican or democrat. Even the liberal or conservative flags seem a tad lifeless and lacking in magnetism. People are clearly animated by issues. Issues that have not been adequately territorialized by any of the traditional political labels. That's subject for a later post on the life of the political brands.

I expect we will have a pretty good clue as to the extent of the Ron Paul effect once we conclude our CD6 convention. There may well be a significant impact on the platform resolutions. And the delegation we elect to the state and national GOP conventions may contain an unexpectedly high percentage of Ron Paul devotees.

The good news for long-time party loyalists is that the vast majority of the Ron Paul philosophy is grounded in solid conservative principles. Therefore, any platform impact could prove to be a win for both the Ron Paul folks and those whose presidential candidate loyalties lie elsewhere.

At the root of the massive shift bubbling up from the grassroots in Minnesota is the indelible mark of the Ron Paul campaign. It's far more than a cult of personality. It may well define an important chapter in the renaissance of the republican party. That is if our friends from the Ron Paul camp stay involved with our cause long after Ron Paul's presidential bid passes. Party loyalists are frankly a little freaked out about the possibility of the entire GOP leadership structure being retooled with a Ron Paul base blueprint. But that's the beauty of our process. Those who show up decide what is going on.

Posted on the wright County Republican blog

http://wrightrepublican.blogspot.com/2008/03/ron-paul-factor.html

Hook
03-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Not sure that I like the fact the GOP is picking up on our "secret strategy". This is sure to cause pushback later.

So when we want attention, we can't get it. But when we want people to look the other way, they pay attention.

We can't win for loosing.

IPSecure
03-14-2008, 01:00 AM

We Can't Loose For Winning!

cjhowe
03-14-2008, 01:39 AM
If your county delegation is greater than 51% Ron Paul, why is the delegation going to the state convention from there not 100% Ron Paul? Fire Water Burn

MozoVote
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Even a 10% Paul bloc will shift the vote on closely debated party planks.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Not sure that I like the fact the GOP is picking up on our "secret strategy". This is sure to cause pushback later.

So when we want attention, we can't get it. But when we want people to look the other way, they pay attention.

There's a SUPER SWEET strategy there if we want to see it!

I'm almost giving up on offering strategy since most of us
don't see it (or acknowledge it) any ways.

p.s. Do you see the strategy???

Hook
03-14-2008, 09:02 PM
If your county delegation is greater than 51% Ron Paul, why is the delegation going to the state convention from there not 100% Ron Paul? Fire Water Burn

I was wondering the same thing.

Matthew P.
03-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Minnesota is going to be something else in the next couple of months, politically. This news is true even in the heart of it - Ramsey (St. Paul) and Hennepin (Minneapolis) counties - and I reside in the latter. I know that we are taking it. I too am a little concerned about the sudden attention to this "underground" strategy. But, as I said in another post, if we follow all the rules, then what do they have to cry about? If they want to block it then they will have to organize enough support and legitimate votes and resolutions to do so. I think that they are too lazy to work that hard.

We will prey upon apathy! :cool:

puppetmaster
03-14-2008, 09:27 PM
We Can't Loose For Winning!

the MOST missused word in the history of this forum....loose....:rolleyes:

nate895
03-14-2008, 10:43 PM
It will be almost impossible to win the necessary delegates to win that CD convention for any other candidate.

What I find most reassuring about this, however, is that the vote in that county went to Mitt Romney with 49% of the straw vote. The straw vote nearly tied for the other candidates, 18% for Huck, and Paul edged McCain, though both had about 16%.

Banana
03-14-2008, 10:56 PM
It will be almost impossible to win the necessary delegates to win that CD convention.

Not sure if I understand- 'that' is referring to St. Paul CD, which has yet to convene?

WRT OP, *great* job!!!

See, it can be done. Fill those 1359 slots!

nate895
03-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Not sure if I understand- 'that' is referring to St. Paul CD, which has yet to convene?

I'm now editing that statement because I meant for any other candidate, but I don't believe it is in the same CD as St. Paul because there is a lot of population between them and St. Paul.

Banana
03-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Oh, gotcha. Yes. Ron Paul is lock in for those conventions- that's for sure. Let us hope that other CDs pick up the ball as well.

Everyone- delegates is OUR to lose.

TruePatriot44
03-14-2008, 11:45 PM
I went to my county convention last weekend and let me share with you a funny story. People were giving 30 second speeches advocating to be delegates to the state convention and one person misspoke saying they used to work for John McCain when they meant John Kline (Congressman). Well half the convention booed when hearing John McCain and even the chairman admitted he wasn't fond of McCain. This was of the 200 attendees (delegates and alternates).