PDA

View Full Version : an example of "ron pauling" your local government

BarryDonegan
03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I posted this on my campaign site, to show possible voters what I would do as councilman. This is a liberty oriented statement that applies the Ron Paul philosophy to local government. The idea that people should be allowed to do what they choose in a free country

"

Why i believe Nashville, TN should be ZONING FREE

I am a strong opponent of zoning. I feel that city zoning is a form of centralized planning which has failed. If you watch any of the city council meetings on T.V., or online, the majority of the time spent is quabbling over zoning, because someone wants to use a piece of their property for a certain function, and the government red-tape is fighting it.

Zoning raises taxes, by requiring the government to hire people and run departments which regulate it, this costs an enormous amount of money.

Zoning also adversely affects communities, it divides business and residential districts, making your out door daily activity happen only in areas outside of your neighborhood. This discourages intermingling between neighbors... a strong neighborhood bond is the key to a safe, friendly neighborhood, with low crime and more community-involved solutions to problems. If you could do some of your shopping in the neighborhood, or work near your home, or possibly even in a building which was your home, you would build more connections with the people you leave near.

Zoning also damages property value; In limiting the usefulness of property, you limit the number of potential buyers of the property to a boutique set of buyers... having open zoning for any purpose makes a broader market of potential buyers for a piece of real estate. This would cause the price of property to rise, which is something we desperately need right now!

Zoning benefits only people who have the money to hire lobbyists to change a zoning to benefit their cause. This means, in effect, that WalMart can bulldoze your residential zoning, but you can’t fight to get your small business in a residential neighborhood.

Zoning is bad for churches as well... it prevents them often from building in areas that they chose. This is not a seperation of church and state. The state should note be telling any private property owner what he or she cannot do with their property, especially when it comes to religious buildings. What if the zoning laws one day were used to prevent the building of churches at all? It sounds silly, but laws decay over time.

Zoning is not required to organize a city in a way that makes sense. Houston, one of the largest cities in the United States, does not have property zoning at all.

Most importantly, City zoning violates the Fifth and Fourteenth Ammendments of the U.S. Constitution... meaning that no man may be deprived of property without due process of law.

As City Councilman, I will fight against this unnecessary power of the city as hard as I can, and be a voice for true property rights."

www.myspace.com/doneganforliberty

please give me any comments you have on this type of idea, I'd love your input, and donate to my campaign if you have some spare change.