PDA

View Full Version : Apathetic now more than ever before

Mandrik
03-13-2008, 04:04 PM
(Just sharing my thoughts here, so no flames, please!)

I always followed the news even before I heard about Dr. Paul back in May 2007. The night he and Giuliani went at it in South Carolina was the night I realized I found exactly what I had always been looking for. Since then I've read a lot of books on foreign policy, watched numerous videos about our Constitution, and have done what I can with with time I had to educate myself and others. Like so many of us, I went to rallies & Meetups, handed out information to strangers, and spoke to friends and family about the message RP was putting out. I sacrificed a lot of time, but no where near what some of you folks have done. I'm a father of twin 4-year-old girls, and I work evenings. So my time is limited, but I did what I could.

Like everyone else, I watched the MSM ignore Dr. Paul for so long, even after all of our best efforts. I watched CNN go to their "Internet reporter" to talk about RP, I watched websites talk about "the candidates" without even mentioning RP. Then I watched Americans go out and vote. Again, we did a good job of getting the word out, but the 10-15% of the votes we got was usually ignored by the press. Louisiana and Nevada were also hushed by not only the MSM, but the Republican Party, and that really ticked me off.

At this point I feel even more apathetic than ever. Ok, maybe that's not the best word to use, because I still care, but I've stopped following everything. I don't go to news sites any more. I haven't been reading much lately. I stopped watching the news on TV, and I realize that's not a bad thing. But I also took Stewart & Colbert off the DVR because I've become that disinterested in politics now. I've had them on the DVR since I first got the thing so many years ago. I still read the forums here on a daily basis, but I've pretty much gone into lurk-mode.

I know with time this will pass and I will once again pick up where I left off. I think Dr. Paul's new book will put the spark back. There are a ton of other books I've been meaning to read, especially Nemesis by Chalmers Johnson (already read the other two books in the Blowback trilogy). With time, I'm sure I'll be back to reading regularly.

These past couple months haven't been terrible, all things considered. I've been spending a heck of a lot more time with the family lately, and that's nice. My world no longer revolves around the message. I guess the pendulum is swinging the other way right now. Hopefully balance can be obtained so I give everything and everyone the proper amount deserved time.

I'm not really sure what the point of those post is anymore. I'm half tempted to delete these rambling thoughts. But I typed this much, so I may as well share it with you folks before I go back to lurking.

PS: I'm still looking forward to voting for RP in Pennsylvania's upcoming primary. I'll probably be changing my voter registration back to no affiliation the following day, though.

jblosser
03-13-2008, 04:19 PM
You're in a state with 74 100% unbound delegates. You have work to do. Get apathy later, it's religion time right now.

amy31416
03-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Welcome back.

I understand your disappointment. It's probably what led to your recurring apathy. So, here's the tough part--the excitement is over, this is where we need to dig in, stick together and work toward common goals.

We're having this discussion in another thread about the new direction, now that the nomination is exceedingly unlikely, one thing that we concurred on is that we need to get other Ron Paul Republicans elected to the "lower offices." Guys such as Sabrin, Brent Sanders and Forsythe. We also need to come up with plans of action for actual things we need to do and ways to get the message across.

So, we no longer have the thrills of the money bomb and rating videos up high and taking over Digg.

What we do have is the obligation for us and for your twin daughters to get this country under control, self-sufficient and back to being a beacon for liberty. This country is, essentially, a great experiment and we need people like you to help us make it a success.

The United States of America. Let's make it the greatest country on Earth again.

Akus
03-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Mandrik, assuming you're a delegate and went to the convention and all that stuff, now is the bad time for apathy. I know you're mentally and emotionally drained, because we are too, but we can't rest until 09/04/2008.

Matthew P.
03-13-2008, 04:39 PM
I know the feeling, and I haven't even been involved as you or the many, many others on this forum, but have done much in the last couple of months. The amount of time put into research has been astounding and I have learned so much it has almost been depressing. Now when I talk to people I casually mention the fact that we are losing America in less than 2 years (NAU) or the Federal ID card going into effect on May 11th this year and they get the shock of their lives because it is the first they've heard about it.

At this point I either stay disenfranchised or it is enough to spark me a little bit and try and share the message of hope (one of two anyway - Ron Paul's message which is hope for America, and the message of eternal hope through Jesus Christ, the righteous - but that's another post) once again. I encounter people on a daily basis that have no idea how bad the impending recession is or the long-term ramifications, and they have no idea what real freedom is, as outlined in the Constitution. It is a great message to share. And, if you're not sharing one of those two messages - what are you doing? They're both a worthy cause.

Mandrik
03-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Mandrik, assuming you're a delegate and went to the convention and all that stuff, now is the bad time for apathy. I know you're mentally and emotionally drained, because we are too, but we can't rest until 09/04/2008.

I'm not a delegate. As much as I wanted to be, I really don't have the time or money to take on that task. I think what I really need right now is a kick in the pants. I'm sure the responses to my original post will provide plenty of that. :p