PDA

View Full Version : Great PROTEST IDEA: Pay all taxes in coins, $1 bills!

aknappjr
08-17-2007, 07:28 PM
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070815/D8R16P100.html

Man Pays Big Tax Bill in Coins, $1 Bills
Email this Story

Aug 14, 10:59 PM (ET)

MUNCIE, Ind. (AP) - A landlord said he wanted people to see the pain of his property tax bill when he hauled $12,656.07 in coins and $1 bills to the county treasurer's office.

Cary Malchow said the heavy load left him "out of breath" but it was worth watching three cashiers working overtime and guarded by sheriff's deputies on Monday to count every last cent of the semi-annual payment for his home, business and rental properties.

"I did it so people can physically see what $12,000 is," said Malchow, who has staged other recent protests to draw attention to Indiana's property tax increases.

It took 75 minutes to count out the cash, said Delaware County Treasurer Warren Beebe.

"They were fast, they were hustling. They're used to counting money, but of course that left other people standing in line. It was an awkward situation," Beebe said Tuesday.

Malchow's protest prevented the office from making its daily bank deposit, costing the county an estimated $1,135.90 in interest that would have otherwise accrued overnight, Beebe said.

shrugged0106
08-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I love it! Could you imagine if a huge number of people did this? LOL

jj111
08-17-2007, 07:45 PM
If a huge number of people did this, you'de be wasting your time too waiting for the people in front of you in the line.

MikeStanart
08-17-2007, 07:49 PM
This made me giggle inside.

Darren McFillintheBlank
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM

Wyurm
08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
If a huge number of people did this, you'de be wasting your time too waiting for the people in front of you in the line.

Umm, you're missing the loss it causes. Being "legal tender" they have to accept it, so he made them unable to deposit their money thus loosing them over 1k of interest. He made THEM pay for his taxes. its a good idea just as long as you don't mind making others hate you.

Politeia
08-17-2007, 08:27 PM
but it doesn't get to the real point.

See, the way it was supposed to work was this: According to the Constitution, Art. I Sec. 10 Cl. 1, "No State shall ... coin Money" or "... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts." This gives the states an incentive to watch the federal government, which does have the power to coin money (note "coin", not "print"), and make sure it keeps lawful money ("gold and silver Coin") in circulation, so the Citizens can pay their tax bills to the states. It's a "checks & balances" system, setting one thief to watch the other, while the Citizens watch them both. But it only works, of course, if the Citizens play their part as well. Instead, the Citizens have gone to sleep, and the states (which ceased to exist after 1865 anyway, becoming instead administrative divisions of the federal government) have colluded with the federal government to junk the whole business.

What's needed is some Citizens to refuse to pay their taxes until lawful money is in circulation again. It's the states' job to see to that.

PennCustom4RP
08-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Cary Malchow said the heavy load left him "out of breath" but it was worth watching three cashiers working overtime and guarded by sheriff's deputies on Monday to count every last cent of the semi-annual payment for his home, business and rental properties.

It took 75 minutes to count out the cash,

I think this somewhat self defeating, even if you feel better at the time. How does this overtime get paid...I'm sure through County Taxes