PDA

View Full Version : What Unites American People?

New Governor Of Alaska
03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Is it an idea, history, culture?.... What is it?

And who are the American people any way?
There are number of different ethnic and racial groups and each has its own agenda and issue....

Nirvikalpa
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Honestly, I don't think anything will anymore. Not even September 11th did - they want to pretend it did.

If people can't even see the good that is our Constitution, see the bad our government has done, not care about the young men and women that are being killed not for our freedom, but to fill the government's pocket...

then nothing can unite America. If we were to have a real Revolution, I can guarantee you people would be split half on half on both sides. There are American's who kiss government officials' asses - most of the time these are the people who would be nobody's if they didn't know somebody in government. The "it's not what you know it's who you know, and I know people" people.

I highly doubt we can all agree on anything anymore, or be united under anything.

yongrel
03-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Obscene fascination with Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, etc.

Nirvikalpa
03-11-2008, 02:43 PM
You know what? That, sadly enough, is very true. It's amazing nobody knows the state of our economy, and most don't even care - they're much more concerned with Britney's rehab.

ItsTime
03-11-2008, 02:45 PM
its easy "free" things. "Free" food, "free" health insurance, "free" Tibet. Treating other countries like they can not think, breath or walk by themselves. So we need to help them.

Liberal racism woohoo!

10thAmendmentMan
03-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Language and culture would be the big ones. Religion is the other thing that usually creates borders, but since state religions went out of style that one isn't huge anymore.

Mopsus
03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
I think it's the "other guy in the know will alleviate my woeful lot in life; what's going on Idol tonight?" complex.

Sadly, apathy and praying for the best, works for most Americans. Acting on your own behalf, requires too much reading and just too darn much brain power.

New Governor Of Alaska
03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Obscene fascination with Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, etc.

:D :D :D

You know, sometimes I think that the stand up comedians is the only thing that "unites" Americans.

The American people are AFRAID to discuss number of REAL issues, but as soon as someone casually mentions David Letterman or Jon Stewart then everyone becomes sooooooooo talkative and show readiness to express his "opinion"....

The same with the ball games....

I think American people didn't vote for Ron Paul not because of some media black out but because they think that it is not politically correct to vote for Paul, inother words, Americans are afraid to act independently.....

IcyPeaceMaker
03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Pain & tragedy will unite us, and a real return to the constitution and the REAL rul of law, where the nanny state is ended forever, personal responsibility reigns, and once again we have hope in a brighter future. Freedom, real freedom will unite Americans and keep us together as friends. There are those working feverishly to prevent that from happening.

VIDEODROME
03-11-2008, 03:37 PM
The Superbowl

Penners
03-11-2008, 03:48 PM
its easy "free" things. "Free" food, "free" health insurance, "free" Tibet. Treating other countries like they can not think, breath or walk by themselves. So we need to help them.

Liberal racism woohoo!

QFT

MysteryGuest
03-11-2008, 03:54 PM
:D :D :D

You know, sometimes I think that the stand up comedians is the only thing that "unites" Americans.

The American people are AFRAID to discuss number of REAL issues, but as soon as someone casually mentions David Letterman or Jon Stewart then everyone becomes sooooooooo talkative and show readiness to express his "opinion"....

The same with the ball games....

I think American people didn't vote for Ron Paul not because of some media black out but because they think that it is not politically correct to vote for Paul, inother words, Americans are afraid to act independently.....

Lol. Agreed. And buying crap. I've seen people give dissertations on HDTV's, game systems, stereo equipment, cars, clothes, and all manner of personal electronics, but try to discuss economics or politics in a reasonable way and people either disappear or stare at you blankly :p I think people have become conditioned by various factors(media, schools, government, other people, etc) to eschew contentious topics in public. Usually, the only time you'll hear anyone's political or religious views are in like company.

As far as what unites us, I come at this another way. Our country is different in that we were concieved as a collection of smaller states. We were never really homogeneous in the way that an England, France, Italy, Mexico, might be considered that way. In regards to the original 13, each colony had it's peculiar differences and the three major reasons (New England, Middle States, and Southern States) had profoundly different cultural and social norms. True, they shared a same language, a similar legal structue, and some similar cultural aspects, but their differences were so profound that they eventually helped lead to the Civil War, and still manifest today.

Add to that the various ethnic and religious groups that we've picked up along the way (most of whom, kept quite a bit of their culture) and it muddies the picture even more. I love that here in the U.S., you can have two different families in different areas that have wildly different family, religious and cultural practices and yet are still Americans. I guess you can say that what unities us culturally as Americans is our stubborn refusal to have a culture. Of course, I'd like our uniting force to be a dedication to personal freedom and the places that can take humanity, but I guess I'll dream on...;)

seapilot
03-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Coca-cola

Time for Change
03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
nobody is united any more.

This is becoming a selfish nation full of consumers with zero consideration for the people around them.

Consider the drivers around you every day...do they seem concerned about americans?

Patriot123
03-11-2008, 08:51 PM
American Idol, Obscene humor which other nations would find repulsive, hating Muslims, Muslim jokes, talk about bombing nations, fast food, Brittney Spears, Paris Hilton, and poking fun at other nations for being more sophisticated than ourselves and then talking about invading them. Oh, and talk about how we're the best nation out there, and that we should bomb everyone. Did I all ready say talk about that we should bomb everyone? And talk about the next country to bomb. I think that sums it all up, pretty much.

devil21
03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
The next overpriced chinese built POS cell phone. Remember how many turned out to buy an Iphone on release day? And I definitely agree with the "free" part posted before. People will take something they dont even need or want as long as it's free.

Theocrat
03-11-2008, 10:33 PM
"It is the mucus that binds us."