PDA

View Full Version : The Colbert Report Said Something Very Important!

rational thinker
03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/index.jhtml

George McGovern, despite getting most of the delegates, still lost because there were disputes at the convention and the Democratic nomination ended up going to Hubert Humphrey, despite the fact that Humphrey did not win one primary! Could this happen to Ron Paul as many Republicans don't feel that John McCain is conservative enough?

Todd
03-11-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.comedycentral.com/colbertreport/index.jhtml

George McGovern, despite getting most of the delegates, still lost because there were disputes at the convention and the Democratic nomination ended up going to Hubert Humphrey, despite the fact that Humphrey did not win one primary! Could this happen to Ron Paul as many Republicans don't feel that John McCain is conservative enough?

Could be. Pat Buchanan had an interesting take on delegates. Story attached.

He was wrong about the outcome but the premise is interesting.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/PatrickJBuchanan/2007/12/21/is_it_down_to_mitt_and_mike

abe447
03-11-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think Humphrey even competed in the primaries, but there's a big difference between Humphrey and Paul. Humphrey was leading in delegates, Paul is not even close. Humphrey had the backing of party leadership, Paul does not. This was also the year Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed which threw everything off.

tangent4ronpaul
03-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Tom Lehrer Whatever Became of Hubert? Lyrics

I wonder how many people here tonight remember Hubert Humphrey. He used to be a senator. From time to time you read something about him pinning a medal on somebody or making a speech, or every now and then you read something in one of those Where Are They Now? columns. Whatever became of Deanna Durbin and Hubert Humphrey and so on. This became quite an issue last winter at the time of Winston Churchill's funeral when President Johnson was too ill to go and somebody suggested that he send Hubert and he said "Hubert who?" And all America was singing...

Whatever became of Hubert?
Has anyone heard a thing?
Once he shone on his own,
Now he sits home alone,
And waits for the phone to ring.

Once a fiery liberal spirit,
Ah, but now when he speaks he must clear it.
Second fiddle's a hard part, I know,
When they don't even give you a bow.

"We must protest his treatment," Hubert,
Says each newspaper reader.
As someone remarked to Schubert,
"Take us to your Lieder."

(Sorry about that)

Whatever became of Hubert?
We miss you, so tell us please.
Are you sad? Are you cross? Are you gathering moss
While you wait for the boss to sneeze?

Does Lyndon, recalling when he was VP,
Say, "I'll do unto you like they did unto me?"
Do you dream about staging a coup?
Hubert, what happened to you?

rational thinker
03-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Bump

josh24601
03-13-2008, 09:18 PM
You guys need to start trying to get a handle on reality.

It will be great to see how many delegates Dr. Paul can actually accumulate and how much "noise" can be made at the convention.

The man will not be the GOP nominee. Just like he wasn't going to win any states. Just like the polls were actually pretty accurate.

He understands this. He says it to you in videos over and over.

Why don't you understand it?

Instead of spending time on misinformed and fruitless endeavors like pretending he can be the GOP nominee, you could actually be working to grow the movement where you live locally - the only way somebody like Dr. Paul will be elected on a mass level.

I am just about done with this forum. The amount of people who appreciate reality is dwindling.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
03-13-2008, 09:23 PM
USA can still win! PUT 3 SECONDS BACK ON THE CLOCK!!!! The Soviets will go DOWN!!!

nate895
03-13-2008, 09:28 PM

It will be great to see how many delegates Dr. Paul can actually accumulate and how much "noise" can be made at the convention.

The man will not be the GOP nominee. Just like he wasn't going to win any states. Just like the polls were actually pretty accurate.

Instead of spending time on misinformed and fruitless endeavors like pretending he can be the GOP nominee, you could actually be working to grow the movement where you live locally - the only way somebody like Dr. Paul will be elected on a mass level.

I am just about done with this forum. The amount of people who appreciate reality is dwindling.

At least we have gotten rid of a quitter in the process. I f you aren't willing to fight until the bitter end, you are merely a sunshine patriot. That means fighting into the convention, then 2012, and so on until the absolute end.

jlaker
03-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Hello to all the patriots that will go on fighting to the very end.

Zera
03-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Leave and never come back. Your negativity and lack of hope is not needed here.

quezkittel
03-13-2008, 10:07 PM
unfortunately, most republicans don't think Ron Paul is "conservative" enough

It'd be fantastic (understatement of the century) if it somehow happened, however.

Zera
03-13-2008, 10:17 PM
unfortunately, most republicans don't think Ron Paul is "conservative" enough

It'd be fantastic (understatement of the century) if it somehow happened, however.

Thing is, Paul has been the most conservative in the whole GOP presidential run. Republicans who think he is not conservative obviously don't know his platform at all, or as most Americans, "Never heard of him."

flames2dust77
03-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't think anyone is being negative. I think that some ppl here are just realists. Why is that considered a negative thing?

Zera
03-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't think anyone is being negative. I think that some ppl here are just realists. Why is that considered a negative thing?

Realist? You first need to realize what is real and what isn't. Getting the nomination is very real. You can't say you're a realist when you don't even know how good the chances are for Paul to get nomination, or hell, how the delegate process even works at all. You are being negative, and you sound like a "realist" yourself. Screw off.

d03boy
03-13-2008, 10:44 PM
if there's a chance, that's what we're shooting for. We're being very real about that little bit of dangling hope we have left. If you think "little chance" equates to "no chance" then by all means, leave the forum. i'm staying.

libertarian4321
03-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Leave and never come back. Your negativity and lack of hope is not needed here.

Some of you people need to realize that being realistic isn't the same as "quitting."

Pie in the sky optimism, completely ignoring reality, isn't particularly helpful.

If you don't have a realistic understanding of the obstacles, you will never succeed in changing anything.

Ron Paul is not going to win the GOP nomination and he's not going to be President in 2009. He was a long shot going into Iowa and NH, and he's known that for a long time that he wasn't going to win (any hope died when Romney quit and McCain was essentially given the win). Ron, through his messages, has done everything short of personally smacking the "pie in the sky" types up side the head to let them know it.

At this point, about all we can do is work to the debate- try to fix the Republican Party from the inside, or help the cause by working outside the party.

There is a lot of work to do, and no one here is "quitting," but walking around in a daze and saying "we're winning" is nothing short of bizarre and inexplicable.

You can all start screaming "troll" if you like, but that doesn't change the truth of my words.

Zera
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Some of you people need to realize that being realistic isn't the same as "quitting."

Pie in the sky optimism, completely ignoring reality, isn't particularly helpful.

If you don't have a realistic understanding of the obstacles, you will never succeed in changing anything.

Ron Paul is not going to win the GOP nomination and he's not going to be President in 2009. He was a long shot going into Iowa and NH, and he's known that for a long time that he wasn't going to win (any hope died when Romney quit and McCain was essentially given the win). Ron, through his messages, has done everything short of personally smacking the "pie in the sky" types up side the head to let them know it.

At this point, about all we can do is work to the debate- try to fix the Republican Party from the inside, or help the cause by working outside the party.

There is a lot of work to do, and no one here is "quitting," but walking around in a daze and saying "we're winning" is nothing short of bizarre and inexplicable.

You can all start screaming "troll" if you like, but that doesn't change the truth of my words.

Stop it. Stop saying he has no chance. You discourage people who are fighting for the nomination by spending their time doing things like becoming delegates. If things well in many states, we will have a great chance of winning. Quitters like yourself are the real obstacle. Just stop it.

libertarian4321
03-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Stop it. Stop saying he has no chance. You discourage people who are fighting for the nomination by spending their time doing things like becoming delegates. If things well in many states, we will have a great chance of winning. Quitters like yourself are the real obstacle. Just stop it.

I'm a delegate because I hope to change the party from within.

I am not doing it because I'm wandering around with a dopey grin on my face thinking Ron Paul is going to get the nomination...

Zera
03-13-2008, 11:13 PM

I am not doing it because I'm wandering around with a dopey grin on my face thinking Ron Paul is going to get the nomination...

Like I said before, go away. There are people who are doing this because they know there is a chance. Even if he doesn't get the nomination, they can say they gave it their all to get Paul the nomination, something you would never be able to be proud of.

PlzPeopleWakeUp
03-13-2008, 11:17 PM
nt

michaelwise
03-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't think Humphrey even competed in the primaries, but there's a big difference between Humphrey and Paul. Humphrey was leading in delegates, Paul is not even close. Humphrey had the backing of party leadership, Paul does not. This was also the year Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed which threw everything off.
Why is Abe Banned? Doesn't he speak the truth?

michaelwise
03-13-2008, 11:37 PM

You can all start screaming "troll" if you like, but that doesn't change the truth of my words.You speak the Truth. Critical thinking skills are needed if we are to win. Don't be naive. Be Real.

libertarian4321
03-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Like I said before, go away. There are people who are doing this because they know there is a chance. Even if he doesn't get the nomination, they can say they gave it their all to get Paul the nomination, something you would never be able to be proud of.

Look, Junior (I see you've been on this forum since last month, lol), you are free to wander around in a fantasy world if you want, no one is going to stop you. Little kids do this all the time- at least until an adult tells them there is no Santa Claus.

But the adults here have real work to do.

Oh, and you'll have to pardon me if I don't "go away" just because some goofy, unrealistic kid who probably found Ron Paul 3 weeks ago while looking for cartoons on Youtube, tells me to...

virgil47
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
+ 10,000

Zera
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
Look, Junior (I see you've been on this forum since last month, lol), you are free to wander around in a fantasy world if you want, no one is going to stop you. Little kids do this all the time- at least until an adult tells them there is no Santa Claus.

Oh, and you'll have to pardon me if I don't "go away" just because some goofy, unrealistic kid who probably found Ron Paul 3 weeks ago while looking for cartoons on Youtube, tells me to...

I discovered Paul a bit late, back in August. I came on these forums from time to time, but I never registered because I didn't find a need to. I decided to do so last month when I had some questions regarding delegates, and have stayed here since.

Anyway, what you say is unrealistic is very possible. I don't even feel like arguing anymore because you're an ignorant prick that won't listen. Besides, there's nothing wrong with at least trying to do something, such as becoming a state and national delegate.

libertarian4321
03-14-2008, 12:12 AM
I discovered Paul a bit late, back in August. I came on these forums from time to time, but I never registered because I didn't find a need to. I decided to do so last month when I had some questions regarding delegates, and have stayed here since.

Anyway, what you say is unrealistic is very possible. I don't even feel like arguing anymore because you're an ignorant prick that won't listen. Besides, there's nothing wrong with at least trying to do something, such as becoming a state and national delegate.

I guess it was just too much trouble for you to register and post until the first of this month, while the rest of us have been working for months, but I should be following your advice? Yeah, that makes sense.

Apparently, you have a reading comprehension problem, too. I stated clearly that I was a delegate and I will continue to work the system. That doesn't mean I have unrealistic visions of some pulling some sort of "coup" at the convention and getting a guy who averages 5% in the primaries "nominated" Frankly, I'd like to hear how you think that could even happen, given party rules that prevent it (even if we did get enough delegates into the national convention, which ain't gonna happen).

A ton of enthusiasm, with no plan, and no grip on reality ain't gonna get it done, folks.

Sorry, thats just the way life is- hate to burst bubbles.

V-rod
03-14-2008, 12:18 AM
I guess it was just too much trouble for you to register and post until the first of this month, while the rest of us have been working for months, but I should be following your advice? Yeah, that makes sense.

Apparently, you have a reading comprehension problem, too. I stated clearly that I was a delegate and I will continue to work the system. That doesn't mean I have unrealistic visions of some pulling some sort of "coup" at the convention and getting a guy who averages 5% in the primaries "nominated" Frankly, I'd like to hear how you think that could even happen, given party rules that prevent it (even if we did get enough delegates into the national convention, which ain't gonna happen).

A ton of enthusiasm, with no plan, and no grip on reality ain't gonna get it done, folks.

Sorry, thats just the way life is- hate to burst bubbles.

Stop It!! Your giving us native San Antonians a bad name. Ron Paul is winning!!! The world just doesn't know it yet!! Our 20+ delegates will sprinkle magic pixie sleeping powder all over the rest at the convention and we shall take over!!

flames2dust77
03-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Realist? You first need to realize what is real and what isn't. Getting the nomination is very real. You can't say you're a realist when you don't even know how good the chances are for Paul to get nomination, or hell, how the delegate process even works at all. You are being negative, and you sound like a "realist" yourself. Screw off.

Yeah psycho...my comment was just oozing with negativity. unbelievable. i asked a simple question and I get attacked. What part of my comment was negative? The word realist? Or was it the actual use of the word "negative?" lol. Too funny.

ThePieSwindler
03-14-2008, 12:50 AM
1) Why the hell was abe banned? Some of his posts are very troll-ish, but others are perfectly fine, and we have had a myriad of trolls that stuck around without getting banned.

2) Why are the "optimists" acting like thought police?

Look, Ron Paul is not going to win. It's not because we aren't doing our damndest, but because, even if he somehow stealthed his way to a delegate majority, there would be such an outcry in the Republican party against him, even moreso than McCain. He does not have the backing of the party leadership, he does not have the inside support, and he will not get 1191 delegates by some

But it does not mean the movement is over. It is just getting started. We need to shift our support to candidates like Brent Sanders, Murray Sabrin, Dean Santoro, etc. Taking the party back from within includes calculating the reality of the situation, and seeing where to go from there. Pouring time and money into the Ron Paul campaign is now somewhat pointless other than for the principle of the matter, but if its the sole focus, and if it takes away from support to some candidates who have a real chance (such as Sabrin), then it actually hurts the movement as a whole. Be optimistic, but shift your optimism to growing the broader freedom movement, rather than trying to cling on to blind false hope.

flames2dust77
03-14-2008, 01:08 AM
1) Why the hell was abe banned? Some of his posts are very troll-ish, but others are perfectly fine, and we have had a myriad of trolls that stuck around without getting banned.

2) Why are the "optimists" acting like thought police?

Look, Ron Paul is not going to win. It's not because we aren't doing our damndest, but because, even if he somehow stealthed his way to a delegate majority, there would be such an outcry in the Republican party against him, even moreso than McCain. He does not have the backing of the party leadership, he does not have the inside support, and he will not get 1191 delegates by some

But it does not mean the movement is over. It is just getting started. We need to shift our support to candidates like Brent Sanders, Murray Sabrin, Dean Santoro, etc. Taking the party back from within includes calculating the reality of the situation, and seeing where to go from there. Pouring time and money into the Ron Paul campaign is now somewhat pointless other than for the principle of the matter, but if its the sole focus, and if it takes away from support to some candidates who have a real chance (such as Sabrin), then it actually hurts the movement as a whole. Be optimistic, but shift your optimism to growing the broader freedom movement, rather than trying to cling on to blind false hope.

QFT, QFT, QFT!!!! Thank you! A voice of REASON and a REALIST! Our focus should shift to changing the GOP from the inside out....and supporting Ron Paul Republicans like Brent and Dean will do just that. We need to get with the program and start shifting and gain back the momentum we once had. This IS A MOVEMENT....it is not just about Ron Paul. He has even said those exact words. This movement is only a baby....they haven't seen anything yet. The realist are in it for the long haul. Oooh I'm such a negative nancy:cool:

acptulsa
03-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Could I ask you all to stop and ask, "Where's the harm?" That's not too much to do before flaming, is it?

Realism: We need to take this party from the inside and work from the bottom up. The only reason Dr. Paul hasn't been able to effect change from within the Congress is that he's been all alone there. If we can pack that body, it will do a world of good. We need to get candidates going, support them, and fill the party apparatus so we can have more.

And we are. We can't really get more candidates going in time for this election, but we're setting up for 2012. It's happening.

Idealism: We need to continue this fight. Dr. Paul hasn't officially lost until the fat lady sings. If we give up, McCain is pretty much guaranteed the nomination, but he's vulnerable in many areas. If we give up, and McCain's vulnerabilities cause him to fall, they'll stick someone else in who's just as bad. If we keep at it, and the stars align just right, we win!

And though the odds are against it, one wonders where the harm is. As for any good coming out of it--we show rank and file Republicans we're fighters, not quitters. Republicans love fighters and hate quitters. We make progress, which shows those we need joining us that progress can be made. We get people curious as to why we're fighting so hard, which opens their minds to education. We show them a refreshing enthusiasm that could prove infectious. And as the presidential race is the only one many people pay any attention to, we make news.

Besides, the one group attracting attention tilting at windmills could distract and divert enemies from the important infiltration. One crazy group could make the others look mighty good by comparison. All in all, two fronts are better than one.

So, which side am I on? Both! I don't see the difference, and I don't understand the infighting. Just as the Lord moves in mysterious ways, the "other group" can potentially benefit your cause in several ways. What is there to fight about?

Revolution9
03-14-2008, 07:09 AM

Door...ass..kaboom..later..

Randy

Revolution9
03-14-2008, 07:12 AM

They are purposefully injecting FUD and/or want us to live their miserable lives of defeatist miasma and negative projections. Reality..pffft..Like we live in a clockwork mechanism of predetermined outcomes.. Cubicle thinking to be sure.

HTH
Randy..

Revolution9
03-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Great.. You might want to stop firing that pistol into your shiny new cowboy boots or you may not be wearing them at the RNC.

HTH
Randy

Revolution9
03-14-2008, 07:17 AM
Why is Abe Banned? Doesn't he speak the truth?

Abe is pure smooth talking shill Kinda like a Cylon in temperament...and motives. He can now put Ohlmerts penis back in his mouth for reinflating.

HTH
Randy

kaleidoscope eyes
03-14-2008, 07:20 AM

perception is reality. We'll respect your reality of thinking there's "no chance" if you'll respect our reality of "there's ALWAYS a chance" Thank you.:)

Revolution9
03-14-2008, 07:22 AM

It just may be some fun hammerig your perspectives dick into the dirt.. You claim all kinds of high falutin' and low handed crapulous outcomes and pepper all with your prevaricating dose of obfuscatory "reality", undoubtedly obtained second hand through various state controlled inculcation mechanisms.. Carry on with your preprogrammed prevarication and negative spew. You get no points for being an adult though.. As a golem of prefabricated views you do score extremely high though so take heart..if you can find one somewhere.

HTH
Randy

Revolution9
03-14-2008, 07:26 AM
Stop It!! Your giving us native San Antonians a bad name. Ron Paul is winning!!! The world just doesn't know it yet!! Our 20+ delegates will sprinkle magic pixie sleeping powder all over the rest at the convention and we shall take over!!

I think McCain pissing himself, talking to tables and ceilings, addressing non-coms as generals and hiding a violently shaking hand behind his back at the podium in Iraq shows this clown McCain has advanced Alzheimers.. They cannot hide this like they can cancer and it will begin eating rapidly away.. Keep plugging away delegate folks .. This ain't magic pixie dust but the ravages of human disease that will leave the RNC wide open.

We Win
Randy

acptulsa
03-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Abe is pure smooth talking shill Kinda like a Cylon in temperament...and motives. He can now put Ohlmerts <tool> back in his mouth for reinflating.

If by this you mean that he tended to spend all his time and effort trying to deflate our hopes and drive wedges in between us, then yer horn tootin' is playin' me right down to th' marrow of my everlovin' bones.

rockandrollsouls
03-14-2008, 08:28 AM
josh 246, go vote for someone else then. I bet you never even canvassed or donated. Fair weather supporter. [Redacted by Moderator]

Highstreet
03-14-2008, 04:15 PM
I think McCain pissing himself, talking to tables and ceilings, addressing non-coms as generals and hiding a violently shaking hand behind his back at the podium in Iraq shows this clown McCain has advanced Alzheimers.. They cannot hide this like they can cancer and it will begin eating rapidly away.. Keep plugging away delegate folks .. This ain't magic pixie dust but the ravages of human disease that will leave the RNC wide open.

We Win
Randy

Randy, you got video? I would be really keen to see it.

libertarian4321
03-16-2008, 03:39 AM
It just may be some fun hammerig your perspectives dick into the dirt.. You claim all kinds of high falutin' and low handed crapulous outcomes and pepper all with your prevaricating dose of obfuscatory "reality", undoubtedly obtained second hand through various state controlled inculcation mechanisms.. Carry on with your preprogrammed prevarication and negative spew. You get no points for being an adult though.. As a golem of prefabricated views you do score extremely high though so take heart..if you can find one somewhere.

HTH
Randy

Looks like someone bought Randy a dictionary for his birthday.

FYI, you don't look "educated" when your use a 4-syllable word where a 2-syllable will work better, you just look like an uneducated fool who is trying too hard to impress.

Of course, none of your ranting changes the fact that Ron Paul isn't going to be President in 2009. BTW, if you'd stop running in circles and howling at the moon for a few minutes, you'd realize Ron said the same thing.