PDA

View Full Version : Support :: Tax Free Tips Act of 2007 (Created by Ron Paul!)

FrankRep
03-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Support Tax Free Tips Act

http://www.capwiz.com/jbs/issues/alert/?alertid=10376216

I urge you to support the Tax Free Tips Act of 2007 (H.R. 3664) as introduced by Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) on September 25, 2007. H.R. 3664 would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make tips (free-will gifts) exempt from federal income and payroll taxes.

Such a tax reduction would better the lives of millions of American workers who could devote more financial resources to their education, or that of their children, save for a home, start a business, or plan for retirement.

Please support the American worker by supporting the Tax Free Tips Act of 2007.

Here's the reply I received from my Senator, Sherrod Brown in Ohio.

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3664, the Tax Free Tips Act of 2007.

H.R. 3664 would exempt tips and gratuities from federal income and payroll taxes. This legislation would help the many service workers in the country who receive the majority of their income from tips and gratuities and you make a compelling case for its passage.

Currently there is no companion to H.R. 3664 in the Senate. Should similar legislation be introduced, I will certainly keep your views in mind.

Once again, thank you for contacting my office.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

FrankRep
03-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Are you a server, bartender, or any other service industry worker who relies on tips to bring home your regular income? If so, you are all-too familiar with being required to claim a certain percentage of your tips to the federal government. A new piece of legislation would amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to make free-will gifts (tips) exempt from federal income and payroll taxes.

Introduced by presidential candidate Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX), the Tax Free Tips Act of 2007 (H.R. 3664) would ensure that hard-working Americans nation-wide would be able to bring home more money, as if they had been granted an immediate pay raise. Congressman Paul's office released the following statement following the introduction of the Tax Free Tips Act:

The Tax Free Tips Act of 2007 (http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:h.r.03664:) H.R. 3664 would exempt tips and gratuities from federal income and payroll taxes. Tips often compose a substantial portion of the earnings of waiters, waitresses, and other service-sector employees. However, unlike regular wages, a service-sector employee usually has no guarantee of, or legal right to, a tip. Instead, the amount of a tip usually depends on how well an employee satisfies a client. Since the amount of taxes one pays increases along with the size of tip, taxing tips punishes workers for doing a superior job! (Click here for the full press release (http://www.house.gov/paul/press/press2007/pr092707.htm).)

H.R. 3664 carries no current cosponsors to the legislation and has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means pending further action. Contact your Congressman today and ask him/her to cosponsor H.R. 3664 in order to gain enough support to bring it to a floor vote.

The passage of the Tax Free Tips Act would help improve the lives of millions of Americans by reducing their taxes, and allowing them to have the financial means to better their lives.

After completing the alert below please forward it those in your sphere of influence, especially anyone who works in the service-industry.

Edu
03-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Here's your return letter:

Dear Sherrod Brown,

Thank you for your correspondence regarding H.R. 3664, the Tax Free Tips Act of 2007.

I am hereby requesting that you introduce a companion bill with the exact wording as H.R. 3664 in the Senate. Or, in the alternative, a bill to completely eliminate the income tax.

Such a tax reduction would better the lives of millions of American workers who could devote more financial resources to their education, or that of their children, save for a home, start a business, or plan for retirement.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

(then get the entire RP meetup group in your area to send this also)