PDA

View Full Version : Drugs in our water supply

Nicketas
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM

Kludge
03-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah... but we're "better" for it.

Great nations don't build themselves.... ;)

thuja
03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
mutants

Zippyjuan
03-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Remember that bottled water is not necessarily better- most of it comes from municipal sources. Then you can also have chemicals leech from the plastic bottles they come in. Note that the drugs found in tap water are in extremely small amounts.

Renegades
03-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Yeah... but we're "better" for it.

Great nations don't build themselves.... ;)

Oh come on. :rolleyes:

yongrel
03-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Let's be clear though: They aren't finding pills in the water. Stop the hystrionics.

MsDoodahs
03-13-2008, 10:03 AM
When I was working as a nurse in the hospital, we were INSTRUCTED to FLUSH all meds down the toilet when a patient was discharged or died.

The drugs that were not used did not go back to the pharmacy. (Can't do that - the patient has already been CHARGED for the drugs, you see.)

The patients were not allowed to have them even though the patients had been charged for them. Which meant that the patients had to go BUY the same drugs that we were upstairs flushing at the pharmacy downstairs. There is a MONEY INCENTIVE to prevent patients from keeping the drugs they've been prescribed, you see.

IMO, this problem is the direct result of the flushing of massive numbers of meds down hospital toilets. I do NOT buy the "it's the drugs we pee out that have not metabolized" bullshit for a second.

Unintended consequences strike AGAIN.

Zippyjuan
03-14-2008, 01:09 AM
Not all the drug chemicals are broken down or absorbed by the body so some will pass through. The quanities are incredibly small they are reporting.

As for your being required to dump medicines, once they have left the pharamacy, they cannot be certain that the drugs have not been either tampered with or contaminated some how. That is probably why they get rid of them. Woulld you as a patient be willing to take medicines if you knew they had already been given to someone else? I don't work in a hospital so I am just guessing, but this is certainly a possiblilty. We sell wine and because we cannot be certain about how it was handled after it left our premises we will not refund any wines people want to return. If a bottle is bad (which can happen) we will let them exchange it for one of the exact same one but no refunds. Improper handling of the wine (or drugs) could cause damage to them.