PDA

View Full Version : George Phillies?

NoMoreApathy
03-10-2008, 11:32 AM
http://phillies2008.org/

Not that I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul even if I had to go to the polls and spray paint him in, but if you're looking for another candidate with a great message, Phillies is a pretty good choice on the Libertarian ticket.

TurtleBurger
03-10-2008, 11:39 AM
There are much better options, I think. We need someone with better name recognition.

NoMoreApathy
03-10-2008, 11:43 AM
There are much better options, I think. We need someone with better name recognition.

Well as far as the LP goes, I like Phillies more than someone like, say, Bednarik.

There's really no name recognition in the 3rd party world PERIOD. Nader maybe, but he's got establishment written all over his face. That's why he has the name recognition to begin with.

steph3n
03-10-2008, 11:44 AM
Phillies is a crybaby I don't vote for crybabies!

TurtleBurger
03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Well as far as the LP goes, I like Phillies more than someone like, say, Bednarik.

There's really no name recognition in the 3rd party world PERIOD. Nader maybe, but he's got establishment written all over his face. That's why he has the name recognition to begin with.

Gary Johnson and Bob Barr are two guys who have the name recognition and the right philosophy to be competitive. Johnson is a former governor, which more or less puts him in the same competitive category as Huckabee and Romney.

Richie
03-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Phillies is NOT a real Libertarian. He supports the Federal Reserve, and supports FEDERAL intervention in many things. If you want a real Libertarian, support Steve Kubby, Christine Smith, or work to draft Bob Barr (http://www.bobbarr2008.com/).

TurtleBurger
03-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Phillies is a crybaby I don't vote for crybabies!

There's that too, although I didn't want to mention it. He comes across as a total douchebag.

Peace&Freedom
03-10-2008, 12:54 PM
As an LP state chair in 2004 I supported Phillies when he ran for National Chair and think he would have made an appropriate party administrator, but I don't think he would be an ideal presidential candidate. Barr would be the most serious, while Christine Smith would give the party a refreshing sex appeal makeover (and move it away from its male-nerds-obsessed-with-drugs image).

BuddyRey
03-10-2008, 01:05 PM

Not that I wouldn't vote for Ron Paul even if I had to go to the polls and spray paint him in, but if you're looking for another candidate with a great message, Phillies is a pretty good choice on the Libertarian ticket.

I'll never vote for Phillies. He has continually said the most venomous and back-handed things about Ron Paul over the election cycle, proving that he cares more about personal glory than about seeing a brother-in-arms see great success promoting a message that they both hold dear.

robert4rp08
03-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I saw the LP debate at the liberty forum. He was a schmuck as were several of the other LP candidates. They refused to acknowledge the presence of Ron Paul. They just lumped him in with the other Republicans. I guess, I would too if I was running for the LP nomination... but they sounded just like him.

My impression of the LP after that debate is that they bitch over the finer details of Libertarianism without really accomplishing anything of substance. Instead of bitching amongst themselves, they should be supporting RP as he does have libertarian values and could help advance the LP as a whole.

In the room there were the 5 candidates, 2 people asking questions, a few photographers/videographers, and no more than 10 people sitting in the "audience." Contrast that with packed room during Ron Paul's closing speech.....

boggie08
05-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Barr would be the most serious, while Christine Smith would give the party a refreshing sex appeal makeover (and move it away from its male-nerds-obsessed-with-drugs image).

I agree. I would support a Barr-Smith ticket. I like Christine Smith very much, and Bob Barr attracts attention that no other candidate would get. A Barr-Smith ticket would be the best to introduce the party to mainstream America, in my opinion.

crazyfingers
05-07-2008, 04:04 PM
What people seem to forget (or don't know) is that the Libertarian Party has a seperate process for nominating the VP candidate. Therefore, at least if tradition holds, its unlikely any of the contenders for the top spot will end up as the VP.

freedom-maniac
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
What people seem to forget (or don't know) is that the Libertarian Party has a seperate process for nominating the VP candidate. Therefore, at least if tradition holds, its unlikely any of the contenders for the top spot will end up as the VP.

How exactly does that work?

boggie08
05-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I saw the LP debate at the liberty forum. He was a schmuck as were several of the other LP candidates. They refused to acknowledge the presence of Ron Paul. They just lumped him in with the other Republicans. I guess, I would too if I was running for the LP nomination... but they sounded just like him.

My impression of the LP after that debate is that they bitch over the finer details of Libertarianism without really accomplishing anything of substance. Instead of bitching amongst themselves, they should be supporting RP as he does have libertarian values and could help advance the LP as a whole.

In the room there were the 5 candidates, 2 people asking questions, a few photographers/videographers, and no more than 10 people sitting in the "audience." Contrast that with packed room during Ron Paul's closing speech.....

I think the Libertarian party would support Ron Paul if he became the Republican nominee, or if he sought the Libertarian nomination. It still is a separate political party though. It cannot be expected to cease operations because of Ron Paul.

Besides that, I agree. I think the Libertarian party needs to campaign to the mainstream, not to its base. Hopefully it will turn outward after the nomination.

mdh
05-07-2008, 04:20 PM

Erm... Gravel and Barr both have tremendous name recognition compared to Phillies.

mdh
05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Christine Smith is probably the most physically attractive person to run for president seriously.

JosephTheLibertarian
05-07-2008, 07:04 PM

He's a protectionist. no thanks

JosephTheLibertarian
05-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Christine Smith is probably the most physically attractive person to run for president seriously.

Yeah, I email her asking for her number but she never responded ha