PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between running Independent and running 3rd Party?

soapmistress
03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Someone mentioned they are not the same animal... can you explain to me the technicalities?

ARealConservative
03-10-2008, 11:13 AM
an independent run has no political party directly backing them.

a third party bid is running as a green or libertarian, or vampire, or some other political party where you first had to win the nomination of that party.

Shed
03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Independent just means there is no party organisation backing the candidate.

acptulsa
03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Running third party is running with the help of an organized political party that is neither the Democratic or Republican Party. Running independent is running without being nominated by any party.

The major technicality is getting signatures in each state to get on the ballot or getting people to write you in.

lynnf
03-10-2008, 11:57 AM

technically, not correct -- it means the candidate is not a member of a party at the tiime of running -- but parties could back the candidate, just like if RP becomes
the Republican nominee, the Constitution party and Libertarian party might back him.

lynn

soapmistress
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
thank you!

defe07
03-10-2008, 05:58 PM
technically, not correct -- it means the candidate is not a member of a party at the tiime of running -- but parties could back the candidate, just like if RP becomes
the Republican nominee, the Constitution party and Libertarian party might back him.

lynn

That's what I'd favor as a backup plan if the Doc wants to continue. Running as an Indy is already a con against any candidate because it's stacked. I'd support Paul running as an Indy if and only if third parties are willing to endorse him (obviously, if he doesn't win the Republican Convention). :D

Truth Warrior
03-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Oh, kinda like Ron Paul and the GOP. I see. :)