PDA

View Full Version : meetup conversion ?

raystone
03-10-2008, 09:50 AM
what model should meetups be following to transition from Ron Paul campaigning to local community liberty educators ??

thehittgirl
03-10-2008, 10:09 AM
We had a meetup yesterday. Before the meetup, I suggested we all decide what aspect of Ron Paul's message we are stronger in and which one of us wants to spread the word on those tasks and how. Unfortunately, not everyone(of the active members) came, but I had announced my intent of continuing to distribute my anti-Iraq war DVDs. One woman said she wants to protest the media and alert the public that they are liars.
Our resident NAU informer was not there, but knowing him, he will continue to spread the word. My husband and a couple of others are going with 911 truth info distributing.

We also discussed what the other area meetup groups were doing so that we work with them on there stuff and they could work with us.

prlgrl
03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
This post is how another meetup morphed their group:

http://www.ronpaulforpresident2008.com/pages/forum.html

Adam Smith
03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I just sent this email out to our group yesterday.

"Ron Paul often said throughout his campaign that he felt he was just the messenger for the revolution. He's stated recently that the revolution doesn't end with his run for President either. I think we all know that we aren't going to be able to settle for the 'status quo' in our politicians anymore, and that we want to keep alive Ron Paul's ideals of a limited government under Constitutional authority.

With that in mind I feel like we have an obligation to keep promoting RP's message of liberty and freedom alive. We can do that by doing three things:

Advocacy
Education
Promotion

We have to keep meeting to look for opportunities to spread the message. We have to be willing to go out and talk to people about things like reducing the size of the federal government and returning to sound economic policy. We have to promote the ideas of peace and free markets.

Here's some of my ideas for the future of our MeetUp Group:

hold lectures and provide speaking engagements for authors who support our goals
attend our local government meetings as a group
give talks to community groups
provide books that discuss our ideas to local schools
give out awards and scholarships to local students
have members run for local, regional, state, and national office

If you agree that we need to do these things and more, please let me know. After I get everyone's feedback we will talk about when we should hold our future meetings."

raystone
03-13-2008, 08:34 PM
hold lectures and provide speaking engagements for authors who support our goals
attend our local government meetings as a group
give talks to community groups
provide books that discuss our ideas to local schools
give out awards and scholarships to local students
have members run for local, regional, state, and national office

Thanks, this is way we seem to be heading as well. One additional thing we are considering, in order to add numbers to the movement is having screenings of liberty themed movies and documentaries...starting with baby steps to not scare the sheep.

I'm thinking F2F is way too much for someone checking out the group, any other ideas ??

Kludge
03-13-2008, 08:36 PM
There's a very large fair in my area that offers me discounted rates for a type of info-kiosk where I can give away literature to those interested (I always keep a large stack of Ayn Rand books inside my counter for those who appear very receptive ;))

joemiller
03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
We had a meetup yesterday. Before the meetup, I suggested we all decide what aspect of Ron Paul's message we are stronger in and which one of us wants to spread the word on those tasks and how. Unfortunately, not everyone(of the active members) came, but I had announced my intent of continuing to distribute my anti-Iraq war DVDs. One woman said she wants to protest the media and alert the public that they are liars.
Our resident NAU informer was not there, but knowing him, he will continue to spread the word. My husband and a couple of others are going with 911 truth info distributing.

We also discussed what the other area meetup groups were doing so that we work with them on there stuff and they could work with us.

I hope you and your husband are planning to place your names on the ballot for your Republican Party precinct committee man and woman seats.

joe

raystone
03-27-2008, 03:55 PM
The members of the Local meet up i belong to have started a new idea to effect long term change, an "educational film festival". They will be showing different movies at local libraries so as to help eduate the average voter as to what is really going on and hopefully build more local support.
The first event is here:

Spread the word far and wide.

When?
Monday, Mar 24, 2008, 7:00 PM 20080324T230000Z
Where?
Bucks County Public Libraries - Pennwood Branch
301 S. Pine Street (Rt. 413 and Flowers Ave.)
Langhorne, PA 19047
215-757-2510

They are showing Aaron Russo's Freedom to Fascism.

Anyone close is welcome to come to the event but we are limited on seating. The location is about 15 minutes south on route 1 from Trenton. NJ and 15 minute north of Philadelphia.

let me know if you are interested so as to let the organizers know.

raystone
03-31-2008, 10:57 AM
OK, we are trying our first movie screening open to the public

April 12:

"Washington, You're Fired" Movie Showing, April 12th, United Way Building, 205 N Main St, Janesville. 1:00pm

Hosted by Conservative Group in Rock County. Public Welcome. Free of charge. (608) 741-2300

Roxi
04-02-2008, 07:11 AM
i was just thinking about this the other day... jay and i were thinking about starting a local meetup here for exactly this and were talking about what to call it.... like liberty lovers meetup or constitutional freedoms meetup or something like that

Dustancostine
04-02-2008, 07:48 AM
More than likely we are going to morph our meetup into a branch of the Republican Liberty Caucus. http://www.rlc.org/

We plan on having a similar function as the one we have now:

1. Continue to support Pro-Liberty Candidates
2. Continue to educate the public
3. Continue to educate each other
4. Continue to organize on a precinct level so as to have the highest impact in the above
5. Continue to spend time with good friends with similar ideals, and make new friends

--Dustan