PDA

View Full Version : GOP Playing Dirty in Minnesota with Delegates

Magicman
03-09-2008, 11:40 PM
I'm truly in shock. I suspected this could be dirty, but not this blatant.

At our convention today we were given a ballot with the names of only the "official" nominees to the State Convention, who were all pre-approved by the SD63 "nominating committee." No Ron Paul supporters were on this list.

The Chair of the convention, Tim Erlander, said that everyone would have a chance to be nominated if they were not on the list, and, if people wanted to, they could write in extra names on their ballot. However, they were reminded by Rob Hewitt (SD63 BPOU coordinator) that the pre-selected nominees were carefully chosen. As a result, all of the people whose names were on the pre-approved nominee list, and whose names were officially on the ballot, were selected as delegates. Everyone else, including all of the Ron Paul supporters, were selected as alternates.

Further, Tim Erlander, Chair of the convention, ignored a motion to strike the ballot, and refused to allow discussion on the matter, or on the matter of the unfairness of the ballot.

I do want to congratulate and applaud our organizer, Jonathan Morey, for his diligent efforts to combat this unfairness. He spoke up several times, and was prepared to argue rules of order, however the Chair, Mr. Erlander, in some instances simply refused to acknowledge concerns about the fairness of the process, and moved on without allowing discussion or voting.

Personally, I am not only shocked, but also very angry, and I am considering whether we have a legal recourse to challenge this convention, and to unseat all delegates from it. If anyone knows more about this, please let me know.

Finally, though, I want to say that I am proud to be a part of this group. Our votes were ignored today, but our voices were heard, and the status quo was challenged. Many people outside of our ranks are beginning to understand that the leaders in government and in both parties have sold out. And that freedom is becoming more and more popular.

Jon Wilson

Just like how King George and his men ignored our pleas. This is only the beginning, we have no where to go but UP. We are all learning how to organize, combat their childishness and we will lead and eventually we WILL PREVAIL and WIN.

The economy is faltering fast and is on the verge of collapse. Many people who stuck their head in the sand will now be open to the truth. We need to stay organized and continue the fight...it's going to be a long drawn out competition to regain our freedoms, our political power and our nation. God Help Us! Truely.
- Show quoted text -

Next email:

I'm truly in shock. I suspected this could be dirty, but not this blatant.

At our convention today we were given a ballot with the names of only the "official" nominees to the State Convention, who were all pre-approved by the SD63 "nominating committee." No Ron Paul supporters were on this list.

The Chair of the convention, Tim Erlander, said that everyone would have a chance to be nominated if they were not on the list, and, if people wanted to, they could write in extra names on their ballot. However, they were reminded by Rob Hewitt (SD63 BPOU coordinator) that the pre-selected nominees were carefully chosen. As a result, all of the people whose names were on the pre-approved nominee list, and whose names were officially on the ballot, were selected as delegates. Everyone else, including all of the Ron Paul supporters, were selected as alternates.

Further, Tim Erlander, Chair of the convention, ignored a motion to strike the ballot, and refused to allow discussion on the matter, or on the matter of the unfairness of the ballot.

I do want to congratulate and applaud our organizer, Jonathan Morey, for his diligent efforts to combat this unfairness. He spoke up several times, and was prepared to argue rules of order, however the Chair, Mr. Erlander, in some instances simply refused to acknowledge concerns about the fairness of the process, and moved on without allowing discussion or voting.

Personally, I am not only shocked, but also very angry, and I am considering whether we have a legal recourse to challenge this convention, and to unseat all delegates from it. If anyone knows more about this, please let me know.

Finally, though, I want to say that I am proud to be a part of this group. Our votes were ignored today, but our voices were heard, and the status quo was challenged. Many people outside of our ranks are beginning to understand that the leaders in government and in both parties have sold out. And that freedom is becoming more and more popular.

Jon Wilson

--

Dear Folks:

I was there. I was the guy in the suit and sportcoat with John Morey (my dear friend). I am also an attorney and was the parliamentarian at another BPOU Convention on Thursday. This convention was rife with neocon fascist tactics. The people listed on ballot beforehand did not exactly make them delegates at that time, but it essentially had that effect when handed out to everyone. I just wanted to clarify that. My convention, also run by neocons, was remarkably fair and well run compared to this one.

I think that the absolute most disgusting attack today was that of while the state ballots were being collected, someone who was collecting the ballots (acting with no recognition from the Chair, much less with the effect of a properly adopted motion), yelled "Hurry up, you have two minutes to hand in your ballots," (just about 5 minutes after they had been handed out) and the people running it supported him (I think one of our people objected and the chair supported him). There were old people, at least one blind person, and perhaps other people with some other physical limitations there. The only place the alternates were listed were on an impossible-to-read whiteboard on the stage. To hurry everyone this way reminds me of the Nazi's contempt for the infirm and the elderly and frankly scares the hell out of me. I do not write this to be overly dramatic - this sort of disrespect for those who may be weaker in some ways than us certainly is a hallmark of tyranny. Jonathan Morey bravely raised a point of order (complaint) about this before the CD voting, and a little more care was taken - he seemed to gain some support of some of the more senior people attending (people who had attended many times in the past). Even so, the damage was done.

This is a complaint that needs to be made to the Republican party. This sort of behavior is entirely unacceptable in our society.

We need to stand strong and be persistent. We cannot go away. We must not be run by these people anymore.

We must send people to the National Convention - even though I have been told it is impossible, we must try. We must be heard by this audience of true-believers (many of whom I think probably have good hearts) who regularly attend these conventions.

Please come to the state convention if you can. We must persist or this will continue.

Banana
03-09-2008, 11:45 PM
For some inspiration, do a search (there's a link on the bar at the top of this page) for Lousiana GOP- they've put up with so much and fought back hard.

Don't let them win- make a point to challenge this all the way, even holding a rump convention if necessary.

kirkblitz
03-09-2008, 11:53 PM
did we get any delegates?

Paul Revered
03-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Bump

golf247
03-10-2008, 01:01 AM
That sucks. Thankfully, it's completely different than my experience.

In SD35, we had over 120 people running for 45 delegate spots. It took them a while to get the ballots ready, adding to an already long convention. Because of this, a motion was put on the floor to suspend the rules and replace the previously voted on 30 second statement from each delegate candidate with a reading of the names. I was obviously concerned about this, but didn't need to say anything because our Senator, Sen. Robling, spoke in opposition to this motion stating she was encouraged by the high participation levels and didn't want any new people to leave having felt like they were being shut out of the process. As a result, the motion failed. I don't feel there was any malice involved with the motion. It was just someone who was concerned by how long our convention was taking.

We had good organization from our coordinator and ended up with 10 slots filled by known RP supporters. The high turnout reduced our total somewhat.

devil21
03-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Was anybody videotaping this event? Such blatant disregard of your rules would be the basis of a complaint and lawsuit. Sadly, I think this is going to be the norm for delegate selection. DO NOT let them off the hook!

mudburn
03-10-2008, 07:10 AM
If the rules are similar to the ones for the conventions in KY, a Chair's decision can be overturned during the proceedings. Here it requires a motion from the floor with two seconds. At that point the Chair steps aside and the parlimentarian puts the motion to a vote as to whether the Chair's decision should stand or not. I've not been involved in these proceedings; I'm just reading up on them a bit in preparation for the county convention this coming weekend.

dp

Cleaner44
03-10-2008, 07:20 AM
This shows that our work will not be easy. We must work with a long term goal in mind. We must take over as many positions as possible. Each one of us needs to be a Precinct Comitteeman at least. We will take back the power, it is just a matter of time.

pepperpete1
03-10-2008, 12:39 PM
If the rules are similar to the ones for the conventions in KY, a Chair's decision can be overturned during the proceedings. Here it requires a motion from the floor with two seconds. At that point the Chair steps aside and the parlimentarian puts the motion to a vote as to whether the Chair's decision should stand or not. I've not been involved in these proceedings; I'm just reading up on them a bit in preparation for the county convention this coming weekend.

dp

Good for you Mudburn, for doing the research. Everyone who is running for a position as national delegate needs to study the rules and procedures for their state. It was difficult to find any procedural information for Michigan and would have been most helpful, instead of going to a state convention ignorant of how things are supposed to go, and having to go along with the flow because of inexperience.

bucfish
03-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I would get the list of the delegates and read GOP rules very carefully and see if any of them broke any rules that then can be challenged. Thereby getting some of the alternates into the fold.

acptulsa
03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Remember, we're the ones trying to save the party. We all see, and they do too, where's it's going under the neocons.

tstorey
03-10-2008, 01:06 PM
When they hit you...HIT THEM BACK. Fight fair and you will gain the support of the others.

These are small groups trying to hijack the process...calmly call attention to their efforts over and over and over again.

The truth is an amazing thing....it always wins eventually.

You guys are heroes! You are fighting for everyone! Get creative and never give up!

These people you are fighting have very little ability to handle quick creative moves on our part. Dazzle'em.

You can do it!

greenspj
03-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Why didn't any RP supporter in the county or district run for central committe in the last year?

Why didn't any RP supporter run for exec committee in the last year?

Where were the RP supporters for the last year when the district or county central committees were having meetings?

Did a single RP supporter ask to be a volunteer on the convention committees, like rules or credentialling, let alone pressing for committee positions?

I can't believe a solid year went by since the beginning of the campaign where RP supporters had the opportunity to become party officers and at least TRY to fix this situation, but didn't, then get suprised when they get rolled at the convention.

Politics is war by other means. If you come unprepared and naive you get rolled. I know it's hard to swallow, but until you swallow it, you (speaking generally) will continue to lose.

Bottom line: People who come and play amateur ball get rolled by the pro ball players.

acptulsa
03-12-2008, 02:42 PM
Bottom line: People who come and play amateur ball get rolled by the pro ball players.

It's a point. We need to document as much as possible and play for sympathy in the end. We're not in a position to garner sympathy yet, but with the slide of the economy and lots of skeletons in McCain's closet, the time will come...

greenspj
03-12-2008, 02:47 PM
It's a point. We need to document as much as possible and play for sympathy in the end. We're not in a position to garner sympathy yet, but with the slide of the economy and lots of skeletons in McCain's closet, the time will come...

I would rather roll the bad guys than get sympathy from them. Put them into a position of getting sympathy from you by organizing, getting elected to the central committee and then the exec committee, then obtain a majority on the exec committee.

That's playing hardball. When we are ready to do it and execute on it, we'll win.

Banana
03-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Why didn't any RP supporter in the county or district run for central committe in the last year?

Was Ron Paul running for president in last election cycle?

I would imagine state parties vary considerably in how they elect officials and in many of those states, it may have required that we organized two to four years earlier.

Not that it excuses anything- fight for liberty is non-ending battle but wanted to point out that possibility. That said, next election cycle is definitely no excuse- the question is whether we have enough supporters with long term commitment and attention span to dike it out until then.

Zera
03-12-2008, 02:58 PM
At least we are prepared and knowledgeable for the next time around in case Paul doesn't get the nomination. We'll be so ahead of the game, we'd be guaranteed to get the nomination if the candidate doesn't even get a single vote in half the states.

Penners
03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for a great thread! I know that myself, like many others, just found Dr. Paul in the last few months. I discovered him in late Dec or early Jan while watching the debates.

greenspj
03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Was Ron Paul running for president in last election cycle?

I would imagine state parties vary considerably in how they elect officials and in many of those states, it may have required that we organized two to four years earlier.

Not that it excuses anything- fight for liberty is non-ending battle but wanted to point out that possibility. That said, next election cycle is definitely no excuse- the question is whether we have enough supporters with long term commitment and attention span to dike it out until then.

Look, I'm not trying to denigrate the hard work of the RPers nor the guy who began this thread. I'm sure they worked their rears off. However, many other counties did the work of penetrating and, in some cases, taking over the central committees and exec boards of their counties in the past year.

Point being that complaining about being treated unfairly means the steps were not taken in advance to ensure that treatment would be fair. It means that, going forward, one should know what to do.

In other words, for all the keyboard kommandoism and national strategizing of the past year engaged in by RPers incl. on this very board, they should have been out doing the work necessary LOCALLY to make sure they were positioned well in their localities for when it mattered which is right now.

Ball
03-12-2008, 10:01 PM
WTF?

This is NOT a time to be polite! These people are NOT your friends!

Why didn't people second and third the motion? Did you think this was a game like duck-duck-goose?

affa
03-13-2008, 02:32 AM
That said, next election cycle is definitely no excuse- the question is whether we have enough supporters with long term commitment and attention span to dike it out until then.

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means. :p