PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out Paul votes

Mesogen
08-17-2007, 12:49 PM
There is something I don't get about Paul's vote for HR 4844 in 2006. The `Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006'

Here is the text of the bill.
http://www.thomas.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:4:./temp/~c109pBcbTD::

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006' .

SEC. 2. REQUIRING VOTERS TO PROVIDE PHOTO IDENTIFICATION.

(a) Requirement to Provide Photo Identification as Condition of Receiving Ballot- Section 303(b) of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (42 U.S.C. 15483(b)) is amended--

(1) in the heading, by striking `for Voters Who Register by Mail' and inserting `for Providing Photo Identification'; and

(2) by striking paragraphs (1) through (3) and inserting the following:

`(1) INDIVIDUALS VOTING IN PERSON-

`(A) REQUIREMENT TO PROVIDE IDENTIFICATION- Notwithstanding any other provision of law and except as provided in subparagraph (B), the appropriate State or local election official may not provide a ballot for an election for Federal office to an individual who desires to vote in person unless the individual presents to the official--

`(i) a government-issued, current, and valid photo identification; or

`(ii) in the case of the regularly scheduled general election for Federal office held in November 2010 and each subsequent election for Federal office, a government-issued, current, and valid photo identification for which the individual was required to provide proof of United States citizenship as a condition for the issuance of the identification.

`(B) AVAILABILITY OF PROVISIONAL BALLOT- If an individual does not present the identification required under subparagraph (A), the individual shall be permitted to cast a provisional ballot with respect to the election under section 302(a), except that the appropriate State or local election official may not make a determination under section 302(a)(4) that the individual is eligible under State law to vote in the election unless the individual presents the identification required under subparagraph (A) to the official not later than 48 hours after casting the provisional ballot.

Here is the roll call vote showing that Paul voted for it.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2006/roll459.xml

The things I don't get.

Ron Paul is against Real ID and federal enforcement of state IDs. No?
This bill puts federal requirements onto states telling them how they can and cannot accept votes from people and all on the basis of how they grant IDs in each state.

Can someone reconcile this with his stance on Real ID? What is the fundamental difference?

Kregener
08-17-2007, 12:54 PM
I believe Ron signed onto that one to make sure only AMERICAN CITIZENS were "voting" in our elections.

Maybe I am wrong and Ron Paul is a change-agent for the New World Order...;)

Mesogen
08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Well, the Real ID act is supposedly to make sure that only AMERICAN CITIZENS* are within our borders. No?

Of course, the federal government's primary interest is preserving individual rights and states' rights, after all.

My point is that the `Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006' is a pale shade of the 'Real ID Act.' It's all about federal enforcement of "minimum standards" for the way states run things.

(*and legal resident aliens)

Man from La Mancha
08-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Well, the Real ID act is supposedly to make sure that only AMERICAN CITIZENS are within our borders. No?

Of course, the federal government's primary interest is preserving individual rights and states' rights, after all.

My point is that the `Federal Election Integrity Act of 2006' is a pale shade of the 'Real ID Act.' It's all about federal enforcement of "minimum standards" for the way states run things.

A card or better yet something that can't be stolen biometrics but as I said before linked to no data such as name ,address,ect. It just says your a USA citizen, thats it. Against the law ,heavy fines for gov. or biz to link any data to it.

american.swan
08-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I don't get the impression that illegals are rushing to the polls.

If they were, how would you fix it?

State citizen card showing that you have lived in said state long enough to be a voter?
National ID card? Like a passport.
Pumped up Drivers license?
Have cops at the polls deporting the illegals?

I don't like any of these options. Seems tough to me to enforce.

Mesogen
08-18-2007, 05:53 PM
swan,

All those decisions are the states' to make.

While the standards in the Election Integrity Act are pretty mild (requiring a birth certificate - obviously those things can never be forged - or some other proof of citizenship to vote) compared to the Real ID Act where all sorts of data are required on the ID and for that data to be handed over to the federal government and every other state, the fact remains that it is federal standardization of the way states run things.