PDA

View Full Version : ***Delegates - A Call for Platform Resolutions***

spacehabitats
03-09-2008, 05:55 PM
By the way, something like this should be made a sticky so we can share ideas more effectively.

We should share any good platform resolutions we run across (since the national campaign does not seem to want to supply us with a comprehensive list).

I found these on the Iowa GOP platform website:

http://www.iowagop.net/inner.asp?z=11

The advantage is that these have actually passed through the party system (at least in Iowa) and should not be too outrageous for other states. It might even be a good selling point to mention that they are already part of that state's platform.

We support the abolition of the Federal Department of Education, and the removal of this position from the Cabinet. In addition, we call for the downsizing of the Iowa Department of Education. We believe that the control of education should be left to the parents, teachers, and local school boards.

We support returning government functions from the federal level to the state and local governments wherever possible, consistent with the intent of the Constitution.

We are opposed in principle to Universal and/or Nationalized Health Care, believing that common sense and the market place can do what government can not: bring customers, health care providers and health care professionals together in a mutually beneficial union.

We oppose welfare, medical, and educational support and issuance of drivers licenses for illegal aliens and their dependents.

We oppose all forms of amnesty for illegal aliens in this country. We call for the government to devote increased resources to seal the borders against illegal goods and people entering the U.S.

We call for an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would prevent the automatic granting of (“anchor baby”) citizenship to children born in the United States whose parents are illegally in this country.

We support withholding of dues to the United Nations as a means of insuring fiscal integrity.

We oppose any further financial obligations being placed upon the United States by the United Nations.

American participation in the United Nations, or any other international body, must never sacrifice the constitutional sovereignty of the United States.

We support the Second Amendment; recognizing a responsible, competent citizen’s right to self-defense through gun ownership.

We oppose reinstating the draft.

We support a balanced budget achieved by responsible spending rather than tax increases that place an undue burden on families.

We support the repeal of the 16th amendment, the elimination of the IRS and replacing all federal income taxes with a national consumption tax.

(This last one does not exactly match the RP stance, of course, but is a whole lot better than what we have now. The sales tax could be phased out once we have gotten rid of the horrible IRS.)

I will try to add some more resolutions later that are more uniquely "Ron Paul" and that aren't likely to already exist on any state's GOP. But please submit your own here so that we all won't have to reinvent the wheel.

spacehabitats
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
So does everyone have a good handle on how to write platforms? I am frankly surprised. I would think that a skillfully and persuasively worded platform resolution would be a great tool to use to move the GOP in our direction. Even if it did not, it would stimulate thought and debate. Debates are things that we should be able to win.

torchbearer
03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
bump

mavtek
03-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Texas will be interesting very soon.

Conza88
03-11-2008, 05:55 AM
nice!

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-11-2008, 06:17 AM
bump for a resolution to unbind delegates?!

MozoVote
03-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Ask that your delegation support HR 1359 the "Enumerated Powers Act" - this is a specific request, not just a generality about small government, etc.

jason43
03-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Have we made any changes to any state platforms yet that anyone knows of???

spacehabitats
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
Have we made any changes to any state platforms yet that anyone knows of???

Most state conventions (none?) have happened yet. In Iowa we are just finishing the county conventions. Then resolutions that have passed their county's convention go to the platform committee of the district convention. The resolutions that make it through that committee then are voted on at the district convention and are sent on to the state platform committee, where they compile a list of resolutions for the state convention. Only then can the state GOP platform be changed by the vote of the state delegates. Whew!

But we must remember the geek credo, "GIGO" (Garbage In, Garbage Out).
If we don't put good resolutions into the pipeline to begin with, we can't expect anything good to come out at the end.

So, its a long road.
The longest journey begins with a single step.

Soccrmastr
03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
People need to do this for every single state! All part of the next phase of the Revolution.

SWATH
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Here are the Texas one reformatted to be more Kentucky specific:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rqou72

tpreitzel
03-13-2008, 02:14 PM
Personally, I do NOT support amending the US Constitution in ANY form, because of the possibility of the Convention doing much more harm than good to the current constitution, e.g. Continuity of Government. Absolutely, I will strongly OPPOSE any attempt to call a convention to amend the US Constitution.

However, I strongly believe that the 17th amendment to the US Constitution needs to be repealed as one of the highest priorities. Essentially, repealing the 17th amendment will return the US to the republic instead of a democracy.

spacehabitats
03-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Personally, I do NOT support amending the US Constitution in ANY form, because of the possibility of the Convention doing much more harm than good to the current constitution, e.g. Continuity of Government. Absolutely, I will strongly OPPOSE any attempt to call a convention to amend the US Constitution.

However, I strongly believe that the 17th amendment to the US Constitution needs to be repealed as one of the highest priorities. Essentially, repealing the 17th amendment will return the US to the republic instead of a democracy.

Amending the constitution does NOT require a constitutional convention. An amendment can be made by ratification by 2/3 of the state legislatures. A constitutional convention would be a very dangerous thing and could potentially open up the whole document to revision!
We do NOT want a constitutional convention. THEY might try and trick us into convening one and then take over to destroy our liberty wholesale instead of piecemeal.

spacehabitats
03-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Whereas the implementation of a national identification system, especially if it involves the use of electronic tracking technology, represents a significant risk of abuse and subsequent loss of personal privacy and liberty; we oppose any form of national ID card.