PDA

View Full Version : Bush Vetoes a Bill that would ban waterboarding.

TheEvilDetector
03-09-2008, 07:33 AM
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-veto9mar09,1,218858.story?ctrack=4&cset=true

What a lovely president.

freedom-maniac
03-09-2008, 07:56 AM
They said he did it to "affirm" his legacy. Apparently torturing people is something worth having history remember you for.

TheEvilDetector
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
You know if there was even a shred of purpose in his madness I would give him a tiny break.

However, torture is unreliable.

If you are writhing in terrible physical or emotional pain you will say anything at all just to make it stop, which means it may not necessarily be correct.

In fact I will go further, you will in desperation create elaborate stories just to keep the torturers busy going through your data and leave you alone for a time.

You also can be tempted to commit suicide or end up going crazy which does not produce useful results.

Furthermore, if any high level operative is captured any sensible organisation changes and/or rushes plans.

Most importantly, accepted use of torture goes against everything US is supposed to stand for, such as (amongst others) prohibition of cruel and unusual punishment which torture surely is.

allyinoh
03-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Wow, I would freak out if someone waterboarded me. For someone who has a fear of drowning... wow... There is no excuse for that.

Bush is such an idiot.

kimo
03-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Crazy isn`t?
After all his&co lies that this gov. doesn`t torture people.
I went mad then I read this in friday..
And this is not only waterboarding. This field manual includes also "other unique" harsh metods, such us:

hooding prisoners or putting duct tape across their eyes.

stripping prisoners naked.

forcing prisoners to perform or mimic sexual acts.

beating, burning or physically hurting them in other ways.

subjecting prisoners to hypothermia or mock executions.

and many more..

When did people realize, what is really going on?

JosephTheLibertarian
03-09-2008, 08:36 AM
I would like to watch Bush ....

Zolah
03-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Sure some of you saw the Daily Show ep where Jon Stewart and John Oliver were talking about the USA sentenced some Japanese to death for torturing American soldiers, with techniques including waterboarding. One of the arguments for torture is that it is needed to help stop major catastrophes, but by that logic then the Japanese were justified in torturing Americans because they thought a major catastrophe could occur..well Hiroshima and Nagasaki did occur, but Japanese were still dealt with, with capital punishment.

I haven't done much reading into it, so that's just what I've understood from the Daily Show.

Personally, I'd be interested in how much Bush would want the continuation of waterboarding and other various torture procedures, if he was subject to it himself. I don't doubt for a second that I wouldn't be able to handle waterboarding for anything more than a second, it sounds horrific.

Anyway, what use is the Geneva Convention and International Laws of War if no one is going to be held responsible for breaking them, the governments of UK, USA, Palestine and Israel to name just four can not deny that they've committed war crimes.

kimo
03-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Anyway, what use is the Geneva Convention and International Laws of War i

There are no longer Geneva Convention or International Laws of War...
Thats why it had to be "war on terror"...You know what I mean.

IcyPeaceMaker
03-09-2008, 09:32 AM
What this does, is to maintain the facade of consistancy for the premise that there is actually a threat from the Arab countries, while our borders remain wide open, exacerbating security, only if the facade were real, which it is not. Fear mongering for the weak-minded masses.

kimo
03-09-2008, 10:39 AM
What this does, is to maintain the facade of consistancy for the premise that there is actually a threat from the Arab countries, while our borders remain wide open, exacerbating security, only if the facade were real, which it is not. Fear mongering for the weak-minded masses.

No it`s not a facade, but one of official U.S./ Bush&Co politics.
You need facts??
One of the reasons why you began to lose a real coalition partners and image in world.
Those who still stick are "bought" or involved the samme as Bush&Co are.
It don`t make soldier in the fronlines to "monster" or "gestapo", but it certainly does this administration.

Ex Post Facto
03-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Waterboarding is like simulating a person drowning. Drowning = Death. In the rawest form, waterboarding is like Killing someone over and over but keeping them alive. That is torture in my mind and probably by definition. Bush seems to think, torture is defined as actually killing someone.

raiha
03-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Water off a duck's back for someone with as many death penalties under his belt as Dubya!

kimo
03-09-2008, 07:50 PM
How pathetic this is..

McCain supports Bush veto of bill banning harsh interrogation tactics

When President Bush vetoed legislation Saturday that would have prohibited the CIA from using physical force in interrogations, he had the support of Sen. John McCain - the most outspoken of any presidential candidate in his opposition to torture.

The Arizona Republican has described his own torture by the North Vietnamese, who captured him in 1967 after his plane was shot down on a bombing run. He spoke out against the near-drowning technique called waterboarding when it was being defended by other Republican candidates and by Vice President Dick Cheney.

And McCain won the signature of a reluctant Bush on 2005 legislation that prohibited military interrogators from using waterboarding and other "cruel, inhumane or degrading" methods.

On Saturday, however...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/03/09/MNBHVGLVO.DTL