PDA

View Full Version : My speech for tonight at the Precinct Convention for Delegate

GunnyFreedom
03-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Here it is:

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

My name is Glen Bradley. I am a former Marine, I attended school at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary right down the road in Wake Forest, I am a local small business owner, I am a Republican, and I have lived in this very district now for 22 years.

I am standing here tonight because America faces an impending crisis. We have troops stationed in 130 nations around the world, while we are fighting a multifront war in two nations. Our borders are wide open while our manufacturing base and businesses are fleeing overseas due to overregulation.

Our economy is in jeopardy, and the Federal Reserve continues to aggravate the problem by printing money out of control, leading to $2, $3, and soon even $4 per gallon of gasoline.

Washington DC has lost respect for the US Constitution, and has given up their principles in favor of obedience to special interest influence and love of special interest money.

It is time to start supporting our troops by setting a rational foreign policy. We must seal off our borders and end the free handouts which bring illegal immigrants to this nation. We must stop the overregulation of the marketplace that drives our companies and our manufacturing base offshore.

We must demand that Congress use their Constitutional powers to reign in the Federal Reserve and stem the tide of runaway inflation.

It is time to restore a RESPECT for the US Constitution and for the rule of law in Washington DC, and we must begin to do that today.

We can do that, by sending delegates to the county, district, state, and national conventions who will speak for us, and who will speak for the traditional conservative principles that we hold dear.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am asking for your support as precinct delegate for Youngsville West.

My name is Glen Bradley, and I thank you for your support.

Melissa
03-08-2008, 01:45 PM
great speech -hope it goes well

GunnyFreedom
03-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks so much! I'll let everyone know how it went. the convention starts at 6PM EST

tommyzDad
03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Good luck, Gunny.

amy31416
03-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Good luck to you. The only thing I'd suggest is mentioning overtaxation along with overregulation.

GunnyFreedom
03-08-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks everyone, and thanks Amy, that's a good idea

FireofLiberty
03-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Great speech Glen! And thanks so much for all your help today!

link88
03-08-2008, 03:48 PM
great speech..hope everything goes in your favor tonight!

GunnyFreedom
03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Well, I am moving on to county. RP-esque platformed people outnumbered neocons 8 to 7 (yeah, we had 15 people at our precinct convention). We had spaces for 14 precinct delegates, but we only sent 9. As for delegates, we outnumber them 6 to 3.

I also got into a pretty heated debate with a guy who is running for US House of Reps. He filed last minute because Etheridge is running unopposed. He came to speak at the precinct convention, and he is sort of a Huck-McCain fusion. He pushes the 'fair tax' pretty heavily.

He stated that one of the major problems we have in America today is that Americans spend instead of save. He was trying to segueway into the fair tax, but I stopped him, and stated that the real reason Americans don't save is because of the rampant inflation is larger than the return on a savings account, therefore Americans are directly penalized for saving instead of spending. He kinda dismissed the comment, but it torpedoed his primary point of support for the fair tax.

So later, I ask him, "if the Patriot Act came up for renewal, would you vote for it?" he replies, 'In a heartbeat.'

Well what followed was about 5 minutes of intense heated debate. Fortunately for me, former Marines were ridiculously over-represented at this thing - something like 9 of us out of the 15 there. So when I told him that our first war was against radical Islamic terror and he told me that I was wrong, I asked him if he remembered the line "...to the shores of Tripoli."? And that certainly won a lot of points amongst the rest of the Marines at the meeting.

And then, when it was all said and done, the SgtMaj asked me to stand up and introduce myself and speak my peace - so I got the last word.

So in the final analysis, it went well. REALLY well actually. We gained a lot of ground for the platform amongst the 15 most active GOP members in my precinct. Now, this will tie into my canvass, and we should get a good turnout in the primary in May!

Melissa
03-08-2008, 08:50 PM
oh that is great news -we are working to get delegates too here in Indiana

phixion
03-08-2008, 08:51 PM
You are a hero. Seriously well done there.

Pete

liberteebell
03-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Well done!

luke-gr
03-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Good for you Gunny!! :salute:

FireofLiberty
03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Well, I am moving on to county. RP-esque platformed people outnumbered neocons 8 to 7 (yeah, we had 15 people at our precinct convention). We had spaces for 14 precinct delegates, but we only sent 9. As for delegates, we outnumber them 6 to 3.

I also got into a pretty heated debate with a guy who is running for US House of Reps. He filed last minute because Etheridge is running unopposed. He came to speak at the precinct convention, and he is sort of a Huck-McCain fusion. He pushes the 'fair tax' pretty heavily.

He stated that one of the major problems we have in America today is that Americans spend instead of save. He was trying to segueway into the fair tax, but I stopped him, and stated that the real reason Americans don't save is because of the rampant inflation is larger than the return on a savings account, therefore Americans are directly penalized for saving instead of spending. He kinda dismissed the comment, but it torpedoed his primary point of support for the fair tax.

So later, I ask him, "if the Patriot Act came up for renewal, would you vote for it?" he replies, 'In a heartbeat.'

Well what followed was about 5 minutes of intense heated debate. Fortunately for me, former Marines were ridiculously over-represented at this thing - something like 9 of us out of the 15 there. So when I told him that our first war was against radical Islamic terror and he told me that I was wrong, I asked him if he remembered the line "...to the shores of Tripoli."? And that certainly won a lot of points amongst the rest of the Marines at the meeting.

And then, when it was all said and done, the SgtMaj asked me to stand up and introduce myself and speak my peace - so I got the last word.

So in the final analysis, it went well. REALLY well actually. We gained a lot of ground for the platform amongst the 15 most active GOP members in my precinct. Now, this will tie into my canvass, and we should get a good turnout in the primary in May!

Mansell (the guy who you talked to) is a good guy, he's just wrong on a lot of issues. At least he's not Etheridge.

Cowlesy
03-08-2008, 09:29 PM
Great news. Thank you for sharing. Thank you for providing yet another reason why no one should be sitting on their hands and thinking this thing is over.