PDA

View Full Version : Just Got a Letter from my Senator

mcvac
03-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Gulf Coast Mississippi...

Trent Lott resigned from his post and Roger Wicker was placed in office to finish the rest of his term...he is now running for re-election? (I guess that's what you'd call it)

But a few weeks ago someone posted a list of Senators on the site that voted FOR FISA..I was so disgusted that I wrote him and told him that I would use my cavassing for RP to also let people know how he voted on that bill....I would tell everyone I came in contact with that he just blatantly ignored the Constitution and that no one should vote him into office...(There was alot else, but you get the picture)

Today i recieved a letter from him explaining his actions and how he feels so strongly about his oath to the Constitution....In the end he stated these words...

'Although we disagree on this particular issue, i hope you will find many other issues where you and I will find we agree. i trust you will not hesitate to contact me if i can ever assist you.

Best Wishes,
Roger Wicker

What a jerk.

Libertytree
03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
I got that same letter almost verbatim from my congressman here in Florida.

thuja
03-07-2008, 09:29 PM
do not put up with these non answers.

Crickett
03-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah. Write him back. Ask him which part of the constitution Fisa supports, so that you can take him seriously about his seriously held oath. Maybe he never read it after all..

RSLudlum
03-07-2008, 10:19 PM
LOL...it seems he doesn't have a clue about the issue you/we are concerned about ie his "oath to the Constitution"

THEY JUST DON"T GET IT!!!! How the hell has Dr. Paul managed to put up with these people for so long? He definitely is "Like a rock!!" :D

Edu
03-07-2008, 10:40 PM
If he's such a constitutionalist then ask him to support the 'Enumerated Powers Act':

It's time for Congress to, "Cite it, chapter and verse." Where do they derive their authority? When they pass new laws or spend taxpayer money, they should be required to point to specific language in the Constitution. The Enumerated Powers Act would require them to do precisely that. Help us bring this bill to a vote.

The specific, "enumerated" powers of Congress are spelled out in Article of I Section 8 the Constitution. There are twenty of them.

Because these powers are delegated from the people, they are the only powers Congress has. But our Founding Fathers went further -- trying hard to make enumerated powers so obvious that even a politician couldn't miss the point. They passed the Ninth and Tenth Amendments to shut the door to claims of additional power . . .

And it is the tradition of Congress, for each member, upon the start of their terms of office, to take an oath, promising to protect and uphold the Constitution. Yet virtually every day that Congress is in session these same oath-takers become law-breakers -- passing laws and expending funds on items that are not Constitutionally permissible.

Over the years they've used the Necessary & Proper Clause, the Commerce Clause, and Supreme Court penumbras to give themselves powers the Constitution doesn't permit. IN FACT, MOST OF WHAT THEY DO THESE DAYS IS UNCONSTITUTIONAL. If they had been abiding by their enumerated powers, the federal government would be much, much, much, much, much, much smaller, and far more decentralized than it is today.

Representative John Shadegg (R-AZ) has introduced The Enumerated Powers Act (EPA) - HR 1359 [You can read the entire bill on our Background page]. EPA would require Congress to reference the specific clause(s) of the U.S. Constitution that grant them the power to enact laws and take other congressional actions.

Easy to send a letter (calls are always better):
http://action.downsizedc.org/wyc.php?cid=87
http://www.downsizedc.org/

Mr. SHADEGG for himself, Mr. WESTMORELAND, Mr. MILLER of Florida, Mr. GARRETT of New Jersey, Mr. LAMBORN, Mr. GINGREY, Mr. FLAKE, Mr. GOHMERT, Mr. MARCHANT, Ms. FOXX, Mr. BARTLETT of Maryland, Mr. BURTON of Indiana, Mr. HERGER, Mr. AKIN, Mr. CONAWAY, Mr. BISHOP of New York, Mr. PAUL, Mr. MCCOTTER, and Mrs. MYRICK introduced the bill.

Ron Paul signed on!

d03boy
03-07-2008, 10:53 PM
bump this enumerated powers stuff

Edu
03-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Bump - for a new day

LandonCook
03-08-2008, 09:40 AM
I got that same letter almost verbatim from my congressman here in Florida.

ROFL... God people.... they are called form letters...

Nyte
03-08-2008, 09:52 AM
bump