PDA

View Full Version : I Need Advice On Placing Ads

max
08-17-2007, 03:06 AM
Can a meetup group simply run newspaper ads and inserts on RP's behalf...or do we need to register as a PAC or something?

can anyone give me clarification on what if any restrictons/guidelines there are for running advocacy ads?

Jennifer Reynolds
08-17-2007, 03:11 AM
///

austin356
08-17-2007, 03:19 AM
What I would do:

Personally I would just collect the money personally and then just do it. I really don't give a damn about FEC regulations. It would in no why hurt the official campaign.

Its not a matter of if you should do it legal or not, its a matter of "is it worth the extra effort to do it legally?" "Do the benefits of legality outweigh the possible negatives of illegality for you personally".

Both of those questions are judgment. But I can tell you what; If the feds can come in and track my cash expenditures and then prosecute me, let them do it.

mdh
08-17-2007, 08:39 AM
What I would do:

Personally I would just collect the money personally and then just do it. I really don't give a damn about FEC regulations. It would in no why hurt the official campaign.

Its not a matter of if you should do it legal or not, its a matter of "is it worth the extra effort to do it legally?" "Do the benefits of legality outweigh the possible negatives of illegality for you personally".

Both of those questions are judgment. But I can tell you what; If the feds can come in and track my cash expenditures and then prosecute me, let them do it.

It can hurt the campaign though. It'd be scandalous for grassroots volunteers to be doing such things. This is VERY bad form. :mad:

austin356
08-17-2007, 08:48 AM
It can hurt the campaign though. It'd be scandalous for grassroots volunteers to be doing such things. This is VERY bad form. :mad:

scandalous for a completely unaffiliated supporter to believe the Constitution says explicitly "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW"?

Sorry I must also be a scandalous person for driving 74 on the interstate yesterday with a Ron Paul sticker on my car.

SwooshOU
08-17-2007, 08:58 AM
It's really crazy that if I wanted to spend my own money to put an ad in my local paper that there might be laws regulating that process.

The only limitations I should have are those that are put on me by the paper itself.

It's crazy.

Slugg
08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
It's really crazy that if I wanted to spend my own money to put an ad in my local paper that there might be laws regulating that process.

The only limitations I should have are those that are put on me by the paper itself.

It's crazy.

I agreer, but at the same time. They are made that way so Fox news, CNN, ABC...etc... Don't turn their channels into a 24hr a day commercial for their candidate. I grant you, they do it anyway...but that was the purpose of the law......To try and prevent mega conglomorates like NEwscorp from getting involved in the political process....

Lord Xar
08-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Can a meetup group simply run newspaper ads and inserts on RP's behalf...or do we need to register as a PAC or something?

can anyone give me clarification on what if any restrictons/guidelines there are for running advocacy ads?

I think inserts are okay and I will actually say this is a better bet - because you get two sided color flyers in the paper for the fraction of the price of a one-sided color ad..

I think the inserts, you'd have to check, do not have to be FCC compliant in the same sense as if you had "printed" it IN the PAPER.

So I think the inserts are FINE..

for the actual printed ad:
Here is the deal.... If you run the ad and it costs $500, and you use YOUR name for the contact info to the newspaper, and you have donated $50 to the campaign so far... well, the FCC sees that as a total contribution of $550 to the Ron Paul campaign. You see how that works?

If you do get a printed ad IN the paper, you would have to put "Not affiliated with any candidate or candidate's committee" as a disclaimer... at the bottom..

how much is the inserts , and how much is the ad?