PDA

View Full Version : So who can speak there?

peters
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
I surfed around a little, but didn't find any conclusive answer. How will be the speakers determined? From all I've seen it appears that there are no special rules for that, and the decision is made on the go. (But who makes it? A particular committee?)

Other threads mention a minimum of five states for someone to be considered for nomination, so I guess that guy(s) will get to speak.

What about the other guys - what are the rules and precedents?

---

Side note: while looking at the convention's website, I noticed two interesting things:

There is a general call for a large number of volunteers (http://www.gopconvention2008.com/volunteer/general.aspx), and even an internship program (http://www.gopconvention2008.com/about/internshipapp.aspx). It is far from the cherished position of a delegate, but it is a way to actually take part at the convention, and may have other bonuses.

peters
03-10-2008, 07:36 AM
I surfed around a little, but didn't find any conclusive answer. How will be the speakers determined? From all I've seen it appears that there are no special rules for that, and the decision is made on the go. (But who makes it? A particular committee?)

Other threads mention a minimum of five states for someone to be considered for nomination, so I guess that guy(s) will get the chance to speak.

What about the others - what are the rules and precedents?

BUMP! Is there any answer to this?

acptulsa
03-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Those who can speak are those who either can be trusted by the neocons or can muscle their way onto the dias. As Ron Paul is obviously not the former, I am hoping that we will get ballot access petitions in place so we have muscle.

The neocons would be happy to have us split the vote. After all, their original plan was Clinton. The rank and file disagree. Us splitting the vote won't make them happy at all--especially if we come to negotiate and are given the brush-off.

The neocons really, really want to maintain the illusion of a two party system for the time being.

Get your state ballot access petition signed so Dr. Paul can go to the convention and ask them if they will negotiate with real conservatives in good faith. It is time to call the neocon bluff.

peters
03-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Those who can speak are those who either can be trusted by the neocons or can muscle their way onto the dias. As Ron Paul is obviously not the former, I am hoping that we will get ballot access petitions in place so we have muscle.

The neocons would be happy to have us split the vote. After all, their original plan was Clinton. The rank and file disagree. Us splitting the vote won't make them happy at all--especially if we come to negotiate and are given the brush-off.

The neocons really, really want to maintain the illusion of a two party system for the time being.

Get your state ballot access petition signed so Dr. Paul can go to the convention and ask them if they will negotiate with real conservatives in good faith. It is time to call the neocon bluff.

That was motivating, but still no answer to the question - who exactly makes the decision?

txrep
03-15-2008, 05:44 PM
The RNC and the convention committees make the decisions. Each night there will be a keynote speaker (a top elected official). There are also "rising stars" who are selected to speak. They are nominated by state parties and then the RNC decides which ones can speak. Former Republican presidents, VPs, etc also speak. Joe Blow cannot just go up and speak. It is decided months in advance. It is a very formal and staged event. They will not let Joe Blow, a random RP supporter from Tulsa speak at the convention. RP will probably not even be allowed to speak.

At the 2004 convention everything was VERY tightly controlled. Credentials are checked and double-checked. The credentials are handled by the RNC Credentials Committee and individual state parties. If they suspect you will make trouble, you will not be given a credential. Even if you are a delegate. It is little known that state parties can (and have) denied elected delegates credentials to the floor. This happened with some Buchanan delegates in the past. They will not let any RP delegates on the floor is they suspect anything. They will fill your spot with a McCain alternate. They have a lot of leeway to do this!

nate895
03-15-2008, 07:12 PM
The RNC and the convention committees make the decisions. Each night there will be a keynote speaker (a top elected official). There are also "rising stars" who are selected to speak. They are nominated by state parties and then the RNC decides which ones can speak. Former Republican presidents, VPs, etc also speak. Joe Blow cannot just go up and speak. It is decided months in advance. It is a very formal and staged event. They will not let Joe Blow, a random RP supporter from Tulsa speak at the convention. RP will probably not even be allowed to speak.

At the 2004 convention everything was VERY tightly controlled. Credentials are checked and double-checked. The credentials are handled by the RNC Credentials Committee and individual state parties. If they suspect you will make trouble, you will not be given a credential. Even if you are a delegate. It is little known that state parties can (and have) denied elected delegates credentials to the floor. This happened with some Buchanan delegates in the past. They will not let any RP delegates on the floor is they suspect anything. They will fill your spot with a McCain alternate. They have a lot of leeway to do this!

Well, each delegate can make a five minute speech during normal business.

nc4rp
03-29-2008, 11:51 PM

is there still a Rockefeller as the chairman of the GoP? I'd bet they will try to be unfair to Ron Paul and anyone that doesnt have their head 2 feet up the butthole of the rich elite (imo)