PDA

View Full Version : If Dr. Paul were to win the nomination...

Salamando
08-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Would the Libertarian party endorse him?

DeadheadForPaul
08-17-2007, 12:10 AM
no, theyd run a candidate

but most LPers would vote for Dr. Paul

trispear
08-17-2007, 12:52 AM
http://www.kubby2008.com/node/54

Richie
08-17-2007, 01:48 AM
It's against the Libertarian Party bylaws to nominate a candidate outside of the party. That has always seemed a little odd to me. Here in Maryland, the local Libertarian Party nominated the Green Party candidate (along with the Populist Party) and he got around 30,000 votes. That's not too bad. It seems to work on a local level, so they would probably benefit on the national level as well. Polls show that 70% of Libertarians support Ron Paul, so no worries there. Their candidate would just get a tiny amount of votes.

Harry96
08-17-2007, 03:21 AM
My guess is the rule about not endorsing other candidates has something to do with jeopardizing their ballot status in future presidential elections.

Elwar
08-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Not if, but when...

noxagol
08-17-2007, 09:01 AM
He would probably get a lot of votes from Libertarians. Honestly, they would be stupid not to vote for Ron Paul. His ideals are so close to Libertarian it is hard to tell the difference most of the time.

If Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination my vote goes to Libertarian though. It would be great to get some Third party candidates in congress! That would certainly through a wrench into the works.

Roxi
08-17-2007, 10:48 AM
i say a mass write in all over the US then... Ill then be packing my bags for argentina

Churchill2004
08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
One candidate, Kubby, has said that he'll encourage the LP to nominate "none of the above" if Paul is the presumptive nominee, while he's still continuing his own run for the LP nomination.

A quasi-endorsement from the LP would certainly be nice, but it won't really bring in much of value. Any LP members who are going to support Paul would have been doing so long before then.

Richie
08-17-2007, 01:21 PM
One candidate, Kubby, has said that he'll encourage the LP to nominate "none of the above" if Paul is the presumptive nominee, while he's still continuing his own run for the LP nomination.

A quasi-endorsement from the LP would certainly be nice, but it won't really bring in much of value. Any LP members who are going to support Paul would have been doing so long before then.

Kubby is a good guy. Ed Thompson is also endorsing Dr. Paul and running himself.

Churchill2004
08-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Kubby is a good guy. Ed Thompson is also endorsing Dr. Paul and running himself.

Another one? This one's the brother of Mr. Potato Head, isn't he?

I think I know which brother I'd pick. :)

Swmorgan77
08-17-2007, 01:34 PM
no, theyd run a candidate

but most LPers would vote for Dr. Paul

I'm not so sure they'd run somebody, but there are plenty of (L)ibertarian faithful who oppose Ron Paul on key issues like abortion, immigration, etc.