PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on "meetings"...

mrchubbs
08-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I posted this in the long conference call thread but think it may have been buried so I'm reposting it as a new topic. Sorry.

Might I suggest using Paltalk for "meetings" and collaboration or maybe just a general chat room for Ron Paul support?

Not only is it entirely online, but it's voice as well as video so people can see things that others are working on assuming they have a camera. The basics are free, but the Paltalk extreme subscription is about $60 per year (about 5 bucks per month).

It could work well for this I think. They already have a Politics category...

In fact...

I just created a room called "Ron Paul Grassroots" within the "Social Issues and Politics" --> "Government and Politics" category. The URL to the group is:

http://chat.paltalk.com/g2/group/1127127948/

You can also download the paltalk client from there. The free version just limits your video (time limit). It's also nice because it can be set up to only let one person speak (have the microphone) at a time.

Any thoughts on using this?

To learn more about Paltalk check out:

http://www.paltalk.com/en/learnaboutpaltalk.shtml

I'm not in any way affiliated with Paltalk. I just think it can be put to use for this type of thing.

Feel free to join me in the chat room. I can make a few (or several) people admins since I won't be able to be in there all the time.

Thoughts?

Enjoy,
MrChubbs

MozoVote
08-17-2007, 06:02 AM
I agree we should set up a separate grassroots conference. Imagine a newbie trying to figure out this movement and listening to 3 hours of bickering last night.

The video features of PalTalk look pretty neat, how are the moderator features? Can the moderator click on individial "heads" and manage which people have the open microphone?

Nefertiti
08-17-2007, 06:07 AM
Skypecast is good-it can hold up to 100 people at a time and is free. The moderator can control who gets to talk at any time and people can "raise their hands" to ask to speak.

MozoVote
08-17-2007, 06:14 AM
I was looking at TalkShoe last night, it says it can support hundreds of talkers and listeners. I like the archival ability of talkShoe to save the talkcasts. I'm not too wild about needing a phone number first, though, to host a show.

mrchubbs
08-17-2007, 06:14 AM
I agree we should set up a separate grassroots conference. Imagine a newbie trying to figure out this movement and listening to 3 hours of bickering last night.

The video features of PalTalk look pretty neat, how are the moderator features? Can the moderator click on individial "heads" and manage which people have the open microphone?

Yes there can be any number of admins/moderators. They can "red dot" or disallow anyone or everyone but the speaker to "get" the microphone. The free room can have up to 200 people in it. Any higher than that it costs some pretty significant money. Also moderators can ban and bounce people as well to "weed" out the riffraf. So as long as the moderators are trusted then it works well. As with anything there is etiquette. There is a "raise your hand" button to signify that you wish to speak and you get in line for the microphone.

All of that is free. The pay accounts just allow you to watch many many users cams at one time really.

mrchubbs
08-17-2007, 06:23 AM
I was looking at TalkShoe last night, it says it can support hundreds of talkers and listeners. I like the archival ability of talkShoe to save the talkcasts. I'm not too wild about needing a phone number first, though.

Yes, with paltalk you can (as far as I can tell) only save the chat text itself. Recording the audio/microphone content would have to be done via a 3rd party app it seems.

I will try to keep the room I created open most of today. Unfortunately, the room is only available if an admin opens it; otherwise it isn't accessible.

If someone wants to be added as an admin then PM me and I'll give you the admin code and allow you. If you want to check it out. That would be good so it could be kept up most of the time.

Again the room is called "Ron Paul Grassroots" and is under the Social Issues and Politics ---> Government and Politics category in the room list. Or you can just search for "Ron Paul Grassroots".

Enjoy.

MozoVote
08-17-2007, 06:32 AM
I'd probably be more inclined to install a webcam for PalTalk than to buy a land line to host TalkShoe. Maybe somebody that already has a land line and is willing to host on TalkShoe will step up, and we could do both...

Dang, have to go to work now though. :)

mrchubbs
08-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I've opened the Ron Paul Grassroots paltalk chat room and will leave it open all day.

Go to http://paltalk.com/ and download the free client and check it out.

I'll leave it up, but I'll be away most of the day sleeping (I'm working nights) so if anyone wants to chat, test out their camera for video, and/or microphone you can.

If only a few think this is a useful tool then I'll not pursue it further, but I think it could prove useful (obviously).

Enjoy.

MozoVote
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I think we probably have the "critical mass" on RonPaulForums and elsewhere to do this. (After all, think of all the YouTube community too.)

The nice thing about a TalkShoe show, though-- is that anyone can call in and listen.

Anyway, webcams are pretty cheap. I've never bothered to install one b/c I had no real reason to. I'll check Best Buy tonight and see what's on the shelf.

DeadheadForPaul
08-17-2007, 12:05 PM
amen. We cant let that stuff go on anymore

Positivity and creativity! Not whining and conspiracy theories

mrchubbs
08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I think we probably have the "critical mass" on RonPaulForums and elsewhere to do this. (After all, think of all the YouTube community too.)

The nice thing about a TalkShoe show, though-- is that anyone can call in and listen.

Anyway, webcams are pretty cheap. I've never bothered to install one b/c I had no real reason to. I'll check Best Buy tonight and see what's on the shelf.

True... Also keep in mind you do not need a webcam or microphone to participate in paltalk. I don't have one (yet), but plan on getting one to make use of all the features. Without them it is just a regular old chat room, which is still useful if the justin.tv one is any indication.

I don't want anyone to think that a webcam/microphone is required.

I see several people have signed in and out to the room while I slept. Maybe we can get an actual "chat" going this evening if enough are interested.

Enjoy!

Revolution9
08-17-2007, 02:11 PM
amen. We cant let that stuff go on anymore

Positivity and creativity! Not whining and conspiracy theories

And you go whining about conspiracy theorists. I guess that puts the forty or ffty people I know voting for Ron Paul in your nutjob basket.. You clowns need to fuck off with that crap. You pull it all the time and for a deadhead it ain't too smart. I am sick and fucking assed dead dog tired of the denigration of perople who simply want to know the truth. Asshats.

Randy

mrchubbs
08-17-2007, 02:30 PM
And you go whining about conspiracy theorists. I guess that puts the forty or ffty people I know voting for Ron Paul in your nutjob basket.. You clowns need to fuck off with that crap. You pull it all the time and for a deadhead it ain't too smart. I am sick and fucking assed dead dog tired of the denigration of perople who simply want to know the truth. Asshats.

Randy

Please explain, in detail, how pushing an agenda that 9-11 was an inside job will get Ron Paul elected President?

Whether or not they are right or not most Americans believe anyone who believes 9-11 was an inside job is a nutcase; therefore, it doesn't belong in his campaign effort at all because it doesn't help. That is the bottome line.

I apologize if you feel denigrated for your opinion. At least you are entitled to have one in America. As are those who label you nutcases.

Enjoy.

njjack
08-17-2007, 02:56 PM
whatever technology you guys decide to use, we need to have a regular scheduled time each week.

can't just say, oh its on all the time cause some people just want to listen in for an hour or two a week thats it. the rest of the time they want to be out on the streets doing the boots on the ground thing, and/or they have jobs/wives/kids/etc

so maybe a weekday at night, if people are able to call in using their cell phones, after 9:00 the east coast gets free minutes for those on verizon and other carriers.

most people will NOT have webcams, they will want to listen and every once in a while interject a question or comment. the idea of being able to call it makes it very easy for everyone to participate without having to install software or make sure their microphone on their computer is working and not causing feedback, too low, too high, staticky, etc, etc.

if someone organizes this from the forums, i'll help spread the message about it as long as the center conversation isn't about vote fraud ;)

Suzu
08-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Any voice-capable online chat is going to involve some kind of software program. I've tried a lot of them and found Paltalk to be the best of the free ones. We plan to use it for the Ron Paul Volunteer Network (http://ronpaulnetwork.info/forum).

The Paltalk community is HUGE and there are lots of people who go on there just to browse different rooms, so an open, public Ron Paul information room located in the Social Issues/Politics/Government section is a very good idea. We can play MP3s of Ron Paul interviews, answer questions that weren't covered in text chat during breaks, and toss in an occasional Ron Paul song for variety - much like RonPaulRadio does.

I think what we want to avoid, above all, is disunity in the public room, and arguing over issues. The purpose should be to pull in new supporters who are hearing of Ron Paul for the first time.

Also to be avoided in public Ron Paul chat would be planning of grassroots campaign strategies. For obvious reasons, we don't want to risk having the opposition slip in to overhear our ideas and plans, and find an easy path to sabotage, disrupt or even pre-empt our events and ideas.

At the Ron Paul Volunteer Network (http://ronpaulnetwork.info/forum), in the secure area for verified members, you will find basic instructions on installing and using Paltalk, along with the name and location of a room for grassroots planning meetings.

Other members maintain password-protected conference rooms for smaller meetings to discuss whatever they wish in relation to the grassroots campaign, but the main, semi-public room will be reserved for larger meetings outside the scrutiny of opposition infiltrators.

In general, I think it's a good idea to have several public groups dedicated to Ron Paul in various categories on Paltalk. If these are maintained for the purpose of educating Paltalk users about Ron Paul, it can only help the campaign, but arguing and negativity must be held in check, or we will drive away more people than we convert.

If you'd like to join the room we have set up for grassroots planning, you're welcome to join the RPVN (http://ronpaulnetwork.info/forum) and go through the simple process of being verified as an authentic Ron Paul supporter.

MozoVote
08-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I just bought my webcam and installed PalTalk. It wasn't too hard. And believe me, I am very conservative about ever moving my machine or plugging new stuff on to it. ;) Logitech webcam... figured that would be ubiquitous enough to install without hiccups.

MozoVote
08-17-2007, 11:19 PM
We've just been goofing around in the room. I will leave my cam going over night, keep tinkering, people. :) I'll leave my ponytail palm in front of a fan. At least there's some motion to see while in test mode. :rolleyes: