PDA

View Full Version : Austin, Precinct 214 2 of 6 delegates for Paul

summernot
03-07-2008, 01:42 AM
Here's a rundown of our experience becoming delegates...

My husband was selected precinct chairman, and I was selected secretary at our precinct convention.

We did not discuss which candidates we supported. There were a total of 6 attendees, including us, a family of 3 (mom, dad, 18 year-old son) and a single guy. The husband/dad in the family happened to be a very powerful lobbyist and former Gov Bush appointee and a Perry appointee. So it's pretty clear where he and his clan stand. ;) I tried googling the single guy and looked for political contributions in his name at opensecrets.org. Nothing comes up for him, so no idea who he supports. He's a police sergeant.

Our precinct was allocated 10 delegates, so everyone who showed up could be a delegate. So, 2 of the 6 delegates are for Ron Paul. 1 is unknown. 3 are likely for McCain.

Incidentally, there was no sign posted letting people know about the precinct convention. Particularly with the crowd of democrats still working their way into their assembly area, it was impossible to know where Republicans were to go without asking, since the Republican assembly location was down a hallway and around the corner. The Republican election officer didn't bring us our packet until 8:30. Fortunately, I had printed out my own copy of all of the paperwork at home, as instructed in an email from the campaign. Our fellow conventiongoers were very grateful for the advanced preparation!

I blanked out and didn't think to come prepared with resolutions. Only one was proposed: to not support erecting physical barriers between the US and its neighboring countries. We passed it unanimously.

We turned in our packet this morning. The Travis County GOP office was quite busy, and it wasn't superorganized, but they were managing. There were about 4 or 5 people there when we were turning in packets. One gentleman looked like a traditional Republican and seemed to know the drill. Another man turned out to be a RP supporter (more later). Two guys who came in together with three packets I'm guessing were also RP supporters. They were looking at a drawing of GW Bush while waiting and snickered at the inspiring phrase underneath it. They were a little brusque, almost like they resented being there. The GOP ladies were all too busy to notice their demeanors though.

The guy I found out for sure was a RP supporter had a (hopefully) small issue... someone had already filled in the line for his precinct indicating that the packet for that precinct had already been turned in. The GOP ladies determined that most likely someone filled out the wrong line. His precinct was 151. He was leaving at the same time we were and had stickers all over his truck. I walked up to him and let him know we also supported RP and said we'd look for him at the SD convention.

While there I asked about joining a committee and was given a business card for the man who is coordinating that. We also took a card for the lady who is the office manager for the county GOP office. We'd like to volunteer next time around to help them with the processing of all the paperwork. It's clear they could use the help, and we believe the best way to change the party is from within, starting at the local level -- plus an extra set of eyes on things is always good.

My husband and I have decided to take advantage of this opportunity as delegates and get the maximum benefit out of it that we can. So we're willing to do what we can to get on committees and put through our applications to be selected to be fast-tracked as delegates to the state convention. We have a good Republican voting history and involvement with some GOP events in the past. We even attended the local Black Tie and Boots Ball one year. My parents are very good friends and contributors to their local US congressman, so I might be able to pull some strings there as well. We might as well utilize whatever leverage we can scrounge up!

Anyway, that's it so far. It's been a fun experience up to this point. I'm looking forward to the next steps!

scrosnoe
03-07-2008, 02:47 AM
is an excellent idea! Great job summernot!