PDA

View Full Version : FDIC and market crash?

josephadel_3
03-06-2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know much about the FDIC or any relationship it might have to an economic crash. Will I be able to get the little money I have after the economy collapses, or does the FDIC not help in that situation? All my money except a very small amount of gold and silver is at the bank.

Kludge
03-06-2008, 11:55 PM
There appears to be a possible shortage of funds in the FDIC.

The FDIC was designed for small bank failures, but we now have these types of mega-banks.

If one were to fail, the FDIC is NOT sufficiently funded to cover what it "insures".

This is VERY dangerous and I'd suggest putting everything in gold/silver.

josephadel_3
03-06-2008, 11:58 PM
After I put everything in gold/siver, how do you suggest that I redeem the gold for federal reserve notes, when I need funds for school, life, etc.? Just pawn it, or what? If I put everything in gold and silver how should I exchange it, since gold is not legal tender (amazing)....

Edit: Honestly, I only have a hundred dollars in savings and a little over a hundred in gold and silver.

pappy
03-07-2008, 12:02 AM
I can't tell you what to do, but I am personally going to start shifting as much cash out of my accounts as possible. I will leave enough in to pay the bills that I absolutely need to pay by check and keep the rest elsewhere (probably not at home though - maybe at some other easy to acess location ). I will not put all of my excess cash in silver/gold, but will put a good portion there.

Yes I do think crashes are coming and FDIC will not be able to handle it. Yes I do think many people will not be able to get their cash. In past failures people had to wait months for their money.