PDA

View Full Version : See what can happen at a republican national convention

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 05:25 PM
1860 Republican National Convention

The Republican National Convention met in mid-May, after the Democrats had been forced to adjourn their convention in Charleston. With the Democrats in disarray and with a sweep of the Northern states possible, the Republicans were confident going into their convention in Chicago. William H. Seward of New York was considered the front runner, followed by Abraham Lincoln of Illinois, Salmon P. Chase of Ohio, and Missouri's Edward Bates.

As the convention developed, however, it was revealed that Seward, Chase, and Bates had each alienated factions of the Republican Party. Delegates were concerned that Seward was too closely identified with the radical wing of the party, and his moves toward the center had alienated the radicals. Chase, a former Democrat, had alienated many of the former Whigs by his coalition with the Democrats in the late 1840s, had opposed tariffs demanded by Pennsylvania, and critically, had opposition from his own delegation from Ohio. Bates outlined his positions on extension of slavery into the territories and equal constitutional rights for all citizens, positions that alienated his supporters in the border states and southern conservatives. German-Americans in the party opposed Bates because of his past association with the Know-Nothings.

Since it was essential to carry the West, and because Lincoln had a national reputation from his debates and speeches as the most articulate moderate, he won the party's nomination on the third ballot on May 16, 1860.

Senator Hannibal Hamlin of Maine was nominated for vice president, defeating Cassius M. Clay of Missouri

The party platform clearly stated that slavery would not be allowed to spread any further, and it also promised that tariffs protecting industry would be imposed. The party promised a homestead law granting free farm land in the West to settlers. These provisions were highly unpopular in the South.

Key questions.. has McCain alienated enough people yet?
Can a summer time economic meltdown help Ron Paul's standing regarding economics with the national delegates?
If we are prepared, can we not go into the RNC and win over votes?

Just interesting ideas and questions for us to think about...

Remember Lincoln was not even close to the favorite to win the nomination... but other factors came into play.. can history repeat?

acptulsa
03-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Of course, that was before the primary system. It would be unrealistic to think the primary votes won't complicate things at all. But, yes, McCain has alienated a lot of Republicans. I really don't think there will be a lot of crying if we can find a reason not to vote for him (like scandal or ineligibility). As for the rest, they have committed a major sin--they dropped out.

Could it be that easy? Not impossible!

pcosmar
03-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Maybe not "That Easy", but very possible.
Keep the Message going, especially to the delegates.
I am remaining optimistic.

Rhys
03-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not gonna hold my breath, but it wont shock me either.

danielboon
03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
the similarities in this piece and today is uncanny nice job finding this

malkusm
03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Cassius Clay was on the ballot for Vice President back in 1860? That was one of the few fights he ever lost, I suppose....

Conza88
03-06-2008, 06:23 PM
That is FTW!!!!
We're taking OVER THE GOP@@@!!!

TruthAtLast
03-06-2008, 06:32 PM
i love this story. and you never know what could happen so we need to keep the delegates motivated and active.

However, times are a little different now. There is certainly more media brainwashing now and many delegates and already programmed by this media. But if enough free-thinkers can somehow make it to the national convention with anti-McCain resolutions, anything is possible.

My fear is that the hard work will meet roadblocks at the state level. We seem to be doing a fairly good job at the precinct level but will the political powers at the state level start trying to weed out the Ron Paul supporters and deny them the ability to go to the national convention? Is there seniority involved so some old-timers will get to go even if 80-90% of the delegates from the precincts are RP supporters?

Maybe the situation in Louisiana made me a little jaded. I would have never thought they could get away with something like that. They stole the win right from Ron Paul's hands.

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
i love this story. and you never know what could happen so we need to keep the delegates motivated and active.

However, times are a little different now. There is certainly more media brainwashing now and many delegates and already programmed by this media. But if enough free-thinkers can somehow make it to the national convention with anti-McCain resolutions, anything is possible.

My fear is that the hard work will meet roadblocks at the state level. We seem to be doing a fairly good job at the precinct level but will the political powers at the state level start trying to weed out the Ron Paul supporters and deny them the ability to go to the national convention? Is there seniority involved so some old-timers will get to go even if 80-90% of the delegates from the precincts are RP supporters?

Maybe the situation in Louisiana made me a little jaded. I would have never thought they could get away with something like that. They stole the win right from Ron Paul's hands.

I share your concerns, keep in mind, louisiana is tops in political corruption.
You should have seen the LP convention that Badnarik won.
He entered the convention dead last in support. But through meeting the people and doing very well in the debates he won over a lot of people who didn't go there to support him.
So anything is possible at convention.

acptulsa
03-06-2008, 06:41 PM
I walked into the county convention expecting a lot of machine grinding and found a bunch of people just delighted that something--anything--looked promising to reinvigorate the party. They were wondering where their next crop of candidates was coming from.

Rest assured, the Republican Party is in trouble. It will be interesting to see where the line is between local officials hungry for help and the neocons at the top trying to preserve themselves.

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 07:23 PM
I walked into the county convention expecting a lot of machine grinding and found a bunch of people just delighted that something--anything--looked promising to reinvigorate the party. They were wondering where their next crop of candidates was coming from.

Rest assured, the Republican Party is in trouble. It will be interesting to see where the line is between local officials hungry for help and the neocons at the top trying to preserve themselves.

QFT.

tropicangela
03-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I read the other day that Lincoln won in the brokered convention, is that right? If so, our chances of that are slim to none now with Huck out right?

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I read the other day that Lincoln won in the brokered convention, is that right? If so, our chances of that are slim to none now with Huck out right?

depends on if those delegates for other candidates can stomach McCain.
if they are informed they don't have to settle with McCain, and maybe promise there guy a VP spot or something, you may have an interesting convention.