PDA

View Full Version : From Ron Paul's Son

Politeia
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
This just posted at Lew Rockwell's blog (http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/014764.html):

From Rand Paul, MD, Bowling Green, KY:

"Thought you might be interested in the note I received home from the public high school my son Will, 14, has just begun.

"'Pursuant to No Child Left Behind, we are required to disclose a student's name, address, and telephone listing at the request of Armed Forces recruiters, unless a parent or high school student, regardless of age, requests that this information not be disclosed.'

"When Napoleon came back from exile, he could only muster 14 year olds. Previous battles had already slaughtered most of the older teenagers. I guess the neocons are anticipating recruitment shortfalls over the next fifty years in Iraq.

"I wonder what staffer, at what witching hour, inserted this gem into an 'education' bill.

"I had an evangelical Christian woman in the office today. She told me her husband is in Iraq. He is a career national guard member, lacking only seven years to retirement.

"I very carefully asked her opinion about Iraq and she expressed hope for a different policy with a 'new' administration.

"Two weeks ago, I had an army recruiter, in fatigues in the office tell me of his opposition to our continued presence in Iraq. Explaining that he really shouldn't be expressing his opinion.

"At a Paducah Ron Paul Meet-up group that I spoke to recently, a young marine who had served two tours in Iraq came up to me and said how much he appreciated my father's stance against the war.

"One of our key organizers in New Hampshire is a young man who spent 17 years as a pilot but supports Ron Paul's position of non-intervention. Our Nashua Ron Paul meetup chairman is a Vietnam vet and a supporter of our foreign policy."

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 09:10 PM
We need to change the meaning of that part of the No Child Left Behind Act, it should stand for not leaving any one of our young men and women in uniform behind in Iraq. Just come home!

1000-points-of-fright
08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
We need to change the meaning of that part of the No Child Left Behind Act, it should stand for not leaving any one of our young men and women in uniform behind in Iraq. Just come home!

I was thinking more like " No Child Left Alive".

quickmike
08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
George Carlin said it best .........."they talk about No Child Left Behind........... but wait, a few years ago wasnt it Head Start?........ Head Start?........ No Child Left Behind?............................ someones losing f---ing ground here!!!"

Mr. White
08-16-2007, 09:46 PM
Something you guys need to understand about NCLB. The government cannot FORCE states to comply. If they don't comply the federal govt simply withholds funding. Whatever the govt cant legislate it COERCES/BRIBES the states into compliance by threatening not to provide that funding. If I remember right, Delaware said screw that and is doing without the funding.I know Missouri only receives about 8% of its funding from the fed so they were considering not following NCLB for awhile.

Another example can be seen with regard to the drinking age. (In that case the govt threatend to withhold interstate highway funding for those who did not move the drinking age to 21)

quickmike
08-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Something you guys need to understand about NCLB. The government cannot FORCE states to comply. If they don't comply the federal govt simply withholds funding. Whatever the govt cant legislate it COERCES/BRIBES the states into compliance by threatening not to provide that funding. If I remember right, Delaware said screw that and is doing without the funding.I know Missouri only receives about 8% of its funding from the fed so they were considering not following NCLB for awhile.

Another example can be seen with regard to the drinking age. (In that case the govt threatend to withhold interstate highway funding for those who did not move the drinking age to 21)

Thats true and I think its total BS that the federal government can withold federal funds from a state that paid into that federal funding. In a perfect world though, there would be no federal funding to states because there would be no federal income tax.

IRO-bot
08-17-2007, 05:29 AM

That is AWESOME! I grew up in Missouri. Most of my education came from there and I can tell you this. They have a great school system. Alot better than Florida. In my small town of less than 5000 we had several students in my year at scored next to perfect and one perfect on thier SAT's. We had some good teachers.

Bodhi
08-17-2007, 05:44 AM
"'Pursuant to No Child Left Behind, we are required to disclose a student's name, address, and telephone listing at the request of Armed Forces recruiters, unless a parent or high school student, regardless of age, requests that this information not be disclosed.'

That is very disturbing.