PDA

View Full Version : When is the last day to declare your candidacy?

JasonM
08-16-2007, 07:31 PM
I hate that all of these "undeclared candidates" keep finding their way into straw and opinion polls. I wish I knew when the last day was, so that we will finally know all the people we are up against. No more "I'm going to declare when I feel like it" candidates like Newt Gingrich or Fred Thompson.

So when is the last day to declare, and then the doors are shut tight?

JasonM
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
no one knows?

DjLoTi
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
I really don't think there is a last day.

foofighter20x
08-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I would say that the last days to declare is different for each state. At least, that is, if you want to get on the ballot in that state.

It's conceivable that if you are popular enough you could declare the day before election day as a write-in.

JasonM
08-16-2007, 10:12 PM
well that sucks

so what, freddy boy won't declare until the day before the first primaries?

cjhowe
08-16-2007, 11:12 PM
Last date to declare candidacy is not for the primary, but rather for the actual presidential election. Republicans and Democrats nominate their candidate at their convention. Theoretically, they wouldn't even have had to of been on any primary ballot, as it is the delegates voting at the national convention who decide the nominee for the party.

Wyurm
08-16-2007, 11:16 PM
well that sucks

so what, freddy boy won't declare until the day before the first primaries?

Ok, I was at the Illinois Straw Poll and a rep. for Fred Thompson did show. He explained exactly what others have suggested on this forum. What is keeping Fred from declaring is the equal time FEC rule.

He's still in Law and Order and will be able to declare very soon. Its best just to consider him declared though. They already have him in all the polls and such anyway.