PDA

View Full Version : IQ Scores of Rep. Pres. Hopefuls (2008 Campaign)

StarKissed
03-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Well, at least we know Ron Paul is the most intelligent. I'm surprised at McCain's score. I figured his would be under 100.

Ron Paul - IQ Score Range: 130 - 140

John McCain - IQ Score Range: 120 - 130.

Rudy Giuliani IQ Score of 123.

Mike Huckabee - IQ Score Range: 110 - 125.

Duncan Hunter - IQ Score Range: 120 - 130.

Mitt Romney - IQ Score: 122.

Fred Thompson - IQ Score: 123.

_

AJ Antimony
03-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Um... source?

nate895
That means that Ron Paul would be the only one who could even compete with me, I'm in the 160s.

pinkmandy
I don't believe McNutSack's IQ is that high. No way.

UnitedWeStand
03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
No way Ron Paul is under 150-60. Whoever wrote this must think 130 is "real smarte".

nate895
03-05-2008, 10:29 PM
I don't believe McNutSack's IQ is that high. No way.

Well, that means he is on the upper end of average, not where you want your politicians to be.

Agent CSL
03-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Wow. My IQ is higher than most of those people. Funny.

Go Ron's brain!

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 10:30 PM
You're giving him too much credit, Nate. I don't think he's *that* smart even. I'd place him below 100. Sunshine anyone? ;)

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow. My IQ is higher than most of those people. Funny.

Go Ron's brain!

Ditto and ditto. :D

StarKissed
03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
http://www.kids-iq-tests.com/ LOL, It's still funny.

Um... source?

nate895
03-05-2008, 10:33 PM
You're giving him too much credit, Nate. I don't think he's *that* smart even. I'd place him below 100. Sunshine anyone? ;)

Below 100 is impossible for McCain, that would be like running into windows dumb, if you are below 80 you probably have some learning disability, even.

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 10:34 PM

*fish slap* (friendly one, lol)

:p

:D

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Below 100 is impossible for McCain, that would be like running into windows dumb, if you are below 80 you probably have some learning disability, even.

"IQ Scores & Ratings
What is a good IQ score? What is a high IQ score? What is a low IQ score? These are common questions, particularly after someone finds out their score from an IQ test.

Lewis Terman (1916) developed the original notion of IQ and proposed this scale for classifying IQ scores:

Over 140 - Genius or near genius

120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence

110 - 119 - Superior intelligence

90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence

80 - 89 - Dullness

70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency

Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness"

http://www.wilderdom.com/intelligence/IQWhatScoresMean.html
I think he's around 95. :)

hypnagogue
03-05-2008, 10:36 PM
IQ has very little to do with the quality of a leader. An understanding of human nature and a good sense of right and wrong will take you much further. I say this as a person with a very respectable IQ score.

mczerone
03-05-2008, 10:38 PM

For claiming to have such a high IQ, you should know that 100 is your average adult, and 80, while below average, isn't a score relating to retardation - think 60 and under.

The Average adult isn't quite "running into windows" dumb.

And again, from where did the OP pull these numbers?

StarKissed
If you're talking about McCain.....I'd want my President to have a higher IQ

IQ has very little to do with the quality of a leader. An understanding of human nature and a good sense of right and wrong will take you much further. I say this as a person with a very respectable IQ score.

josephadel_3

How is that the source, and how did all the candidates take that test? Is this a joke, or what?

I have a general IQ of 126.

Edit: oh ok it's estimated

nate895
03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
"IQ Scores & Ratings
What is a good IQ score? What is a high IQ score? What is a low IQ score? These are common questions, particularly after someone finds out their score from an IQ test.

Lewis Terman (1916) developed the original notion of IQ and proposed this scale for classifying IQ scores:

80 - 89 - Dullness

The scale I saw some time ago was

160 or above: Genius

140-159: Superior Intellect

120-139: Above average

100-119: Average

80-99: Moron

40-79: Idiot

1-39: Imbecile

nate895
03-05-2008, 10:40 PM
For claiming to have such a high IQ, you should know that 100 is your average adult, and 80, while below average, isn't a score relating to retardation - think 60 and under.

The Average adult isn't quite "running into windows" dumb.

And again, from where did the OP pull these numbers?

The average adult, last time I heard, was 114.

StarKissed
03-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Actually, according to this article...it's true about McCain's IQ, and that was when he was a youngster. At 71 (or whatever his age), I'm sure his IQ number has dropped considerably.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200802060005

*fish slap* (friendly one, lol)

:p

:D

nate895
03-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Remember another thing about IQ: it measure your "intelligence quotient," meaning how smart you could be. You could have an IQ of 200 and be stupid because you refuse to read, or an IQ of 110 and be an ivy league professor.

wgadget
03-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I always KNEW Ron Paul was the smartest candidate...

mczerone
03-05-2008, 10:45 PM

Do you understand Standard Deviations and Fixed-Scale scoring?

The mean of the population's score is Designed to be 100. It doesn't matter what you "heard last".

And it is entirely possible that the average IQ taker's score is 114 - only smarter people seek out testing generally, but the US population's Average adult score is Defined to be 100.

StarKissed
03-05-2008, 10:46 PM
What does matter, is McCain's Social IQ....HA! He's been hiding his insanity during this campaign....it cost him the election before. Wait till he's in office. He's a T-Y-R-A-N-T !!! I'm really surprized he hasn't blown yet. Ah, but there's still time.

And there are 152,000 articles/posts about McCain = Tyrant on Google.

StarKissed
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Very True

.....but the US population's Average adult score is Defined to be 100.

Kludge
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
McCain isn't stupid, he's manipulative.

nate895
03-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Do you understand Standard Deviations and Fixed-Scale scoring?

The mean of the population's score is Designed to be 100. It doesn't matter what you "heard last".

And it is entirely possible that the average IQ taker's score is 114 - only smarter people seek out testing generally, but the US population's Average adult score is Defined to be 100.

All I've heard, which I don't really care much about IQ testing since my mind can be better used to remember more important things, but that there are 6 major categories: Genius (above 160), Superior Intellect (140-159), Average or slightly above (100-139), Moron (80-99), Idiot (40-79), and Imbecile (1-39).

LibertyIn08
03-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Above 130, the scores become rather meaningless. Above 160, even more so.

By the way, the previously posted scale has fallen out of use. Imbecile, Idiot, and Moron are no longer generally accepted terms in intelligence studies.

Kludge
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM
"Bill Clinton
IQ Score of 159"

Jimmy Carter
IQ Score of 156

I refuse to believe Clinton OR Carter is "smarter" then Cool Cal.

Edit: On the same website is file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/asdf/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

"Bill Clinton
IQ Score 137"

tomcr
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Mensa (of which I used to be a dues paying member) has as it's minimum qualification an IQ score in the top 2%, which they put at the IQ of 130. An IQ of 145 is in the one in 1000 range. IQs above one in 100,000 or so are difficult to accurately quantify (I don't care what anyone says).
Further, the British Army found decades ago that if there were more than two standard deviations in intelligence between the leader and the led (in either direction), major problems were the result. Ron's strength and his weakness is his intelligence and education.

"IQ Scores & Ratings

80 - 89 - Dullness

LibertyIn08
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
"Bill Clinton
IQ Score of 159"

I refuse to believe Clinton is "smarter" then Cool Cal.

It is a direct reflection of the use(lessness) of the IQ test past a certain point.

josephadel_3
03-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Mensa (of which I used to be a dues paying member) has as it's minimum qualification an IQ score in the top 2%, which they put at the IQ of 130. An IQ of 145 is in the one in 1000 range. IQs above one in 100,000 or so are difficult to accurately quantify (I don't care what anyone says).
Further, the British Army found decades ago that if there were more than two standard deviations in intelligence between the leader and the led (in either direction), major problems were the result. Ron's strength and his weakness is his intelligence and education.

Wow, that's amazing about the British Army.

Jon4Ron
03-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Well if you have any misconceptions about whether this means you can or will be President. I have one word for you. GEORGE!

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 11:10 PM

Well that explains

1. Why we love him and feel he is the ONLY choice
2. Why the sheep don't love him and call him "fringe"

Makes perfect sense. I've always thought RP supporters were mostly above average in intellect.

pacelli
03-05-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm a psychologist, I've given thousands of IQ tests. These online IQ tests are amusing, but are not valid nor reliable measures of the construct of intelligence. Intelligence is generally thought of a someone's multidimensional problem solving ability (i.e. multiple cognitive and motor-based domains).

IQ tests provide an estimation of intelligence and are not free of error. In other words, they are not the end-all be-all summary of someone's intellectual skills.

Bonafide IQ tests are not perfect, even one that is considered the 'gold standard' in IQ testing (the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale). Even this test is highly biased against ethnic minorities such as African Americans and Hispanics. The standardization sample which is the basis of comparison for each person who takes the test included a majority of Caucasian individuals. Simply put, intelligence tests are heavily culture-loaded.

There are also age-related declines and advances in a person's intelligence estimate over time. Intelligence is a flexible construct that requires a fair amount of testing to gain an accurate estimate.

Sadly, 'free and fun' online intelligence tests do not include motor-based tasks which comprise 50% of someone's final IQ score in an actual testing environment.

Some of the IQ categories and their descriptions provided in this thread are horribly outdated and I am ethically obligated to post the correct categories as defined by the Wechsler test. These categories ONLY apply to the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Test (3rd revision).

130 and above......Very Superior

120-129..............Superior

110-119..............High Average

90-109...............Average

80-89.................Low Average

70-79.................Borderline

69 and Below.......Extremely Low

I have not seen any publically available WAIS-III profiles for any of the presidential candidates. Therefore, it is difficult to provide an estimation of intelligence in the absence of data.

In my non-professional and personal opinion, there are also no known "manchurian candidate" IQ tests published in the public domain, so I think McCain is in a class all his own ;)

UnitedWeStand
03-05-2008, 11:25 PM
This is why I love my meetup group so much. It is very obvious that everyone who supports Ron Paul is very intelligent. I love being around them. Plus, I don't feel any pressure to convert them to Ron Paul=) Everyone who walks in the room is my new best friend!

For the same reason, a big grouping of Ron Paul fans is a strange and wonderful experience. At the Lake Jackson rally a few weeks ago, I was so relaxed and happy. There was so much comraderie and good vibes being smiled around the room. Everyone was so geniunely thrilled to be there and in the company of so many others.

I am used to feeling anxious, angry or worn out after being around a large crowd of people. Reading the emotions and situations of a lot of strangers can be a terrible experience. But the rally was so different. We need to all get together more often.

golfboy
03-05-2008, 11:56 PM
it is truly an honor to vote for someone smarter than me.

Sentient Void
03-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Thank you for fixing this thread, pacelli.

I was rather bothered by almost any and all claims made in this thread in regards to presidential IQs, the importance of "IQ" et cetera.

Russellk30
03-06-2008, 12:20 AM

In other words, "evil genius" is not an oxymoron.

Russellk30
03-06-2008, 12:22 AM
I always KNEW Ron Paul was the smartest candidate...

Whats with the caps? I dont get it.

gb13
03-06-2008, 12:32 AM
That means that Ron Paul would be the only one who could even compete with me, I'm in the 160s.

Wow... For a genius with an IQ in the 160s, you really have some terrible grammar.

They must not teach about sentence structure at The School for the Gifted. :p

nate895
03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow... For a genius with an IQ in the 160s, you really have some terrible grammar.

As I said in an earlier post, your doesn't necessarily compute with your actual intelligence, but my grammar is usually good.

ionlyknowy
03-06-2008, 12:34 AM
Whats with the caps? I dont get it.

Ladies and gentleman we have found our first 70-79 range candidate...

LOL! Just kidding of course. :D

Oh and only 300,000 people have a higher IQ than me in the US... Explains a lot let me tell you...

Shink
03-06-2008, 12:36 AM

As evidenced by his inability to dumb things down for idiots. He really is in his own world mentally a lot of times, simply because he is surrounded by fucking moronic douchebags in DC.

Sentient Void
03-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Although I will say VERY FEW ppl have an IQ anywhere NEAR 160, and I always question people who make such claims...

It still isn't very fair to pass intelligence judgement on anyone based on their "internet shorthand".

Russellk30
03-06-2008, 12:45 AM
Ladies and gentleman we have found our first 70-79 range candidate...

LOL! Just kidding of course. :D

Oh and only 300,000 people have a higher IQ than me in the US... Explains a lot let me tell you...

Thanks for the input. I appreciate your perspective.

BTW 138

DFF
03-06-2008, 12:51 AM
There's no way those numbers are accurate.

I have a 130 IQ (although I have cracked 140 a couple of times) and I couldn't even begin to [mentally] hang with Ron Paul.

Plus, it goes without saying that anyone capable of duking it out with the head of the Federal Reserve is a platinum plus genius.

So Ron Paul must be in the neighborhood of 150. Maybe even higher.

gb13
03-06-2008, 12:52 AM
Although I will say VERY FEW ppl have an IQ anywhere NEAR 160, and I always question people who make such claims...

It still isn't very fair to pass intelligence judgement on anyone based on their "internet shorthand".

I know. i was only kidding and i tried to give that away by the smiley face? i guess i'm not a genius neither oh well,

There. I think the the preceding paragraph (if you can call it a paragraph) makes me and Hawthorne about even. No hard feelings.

ionlyknowy
03-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the input. I appreciate your perspective.

BTW 138

Sorry, I had to do it... forgive me :o

I dont know anything about you, but if you are in to these predictive test thingys, then I found a good one..

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

After you get your 4 letters for example, INTJ, then input "INTJ career" in to google.com, then go to the first website... scroll to the bottom and view your ideal careers... I had my entire family do this, and it predicted every one of their careers..

It has predicted 3 of mine... Check it out.

Russellk30
03-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Sorry, I had to do it... forgive me :o

I dont know anything about you, but if you are in to these predictive test thingys, then I found a good one..

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

After you get your 4 letters for example, INTJ, then input "INTJ career" in to google.com, then go to the first website... scroll to the bottom and view your ideal careers... I had my entire family do this, and it predicted every one of their careers..

It has predicted 3 of mine... Check it out.

Haha. Don’t worry. There are more important things to get mad about. Those that would wrap humanity within centralization take the brunt of my anger.....and slow drivers.

BTW, my current employer asks all potential employees to take exactly the test that you forwarded. I do have to admit it is pretty accurate, subjectively speaking.

tpreitzel
03-06-2008, 01:08 AM
Well if you have any misconceptions about whether this means you can or will be President. I have one word for you. GEORGE!

:)

I was going to stay out of this thread, because when people start discussing IQ, tread carefully... ;) I researched intelligence a few decades ago, but my paper has long vanished. From the research for that paper, I concluded that high intelligence was related to the presence * of the child's parents during development, i.e. birth to 13 years of age. From my own experience in the military, I knew of one soldier (later discovered to be homosexual and a user of illegal narcotics) who was extremely intelligent with a documented IQ around 150, IIRC. Although, I have no proof in the case of this soldier, it's very possible that he was physically and psychologically abused as a child. Abused children tend to have heightened perceptions which enhance IQ. So, a high IQ can be both a blessing and a curse depending on the person's circumstances. Now, can we get back to the work of Ron's campaign? ;)

* quality and quantity

purplechoe
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM

No, it's just that we of superior intellect are on such a higher level that your simplistic way of communicating can be challenging to us sometimes. ;)

Rhys
03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Ron Paul's gotta be around 165 and McCain around 115

ionlyknowy
03-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Haha. Don’t worry. There are more important things to get mad about. Those that would wrap humanity within centralization take the brunt of my anger.....and slow drivers.

BTW, my current employer asks all potential employees to take exactly the test that you forwarded. I do have to admit it is pretty accurate, subjectively speaking.

Your employer is a smart man/woman. If I were to hire anyone for my (fictional) company then I would do the same.. You just cant get the same vital info from an interview and lunch.

ionlyknowy
03-06-2008, 01:17 AM

I was going to stay out of this thread, because when people start discussing IQ, tread carefully... ;) I researched intelligence a few decades ago, but my paper has long vanished. From the research for that paper, I concluded that high intelligence was related to the presence * of the child's parents during development, i.e. birth to 13 years of age. From my own experience in the military, I knew of one soldier (later discovered to be homosexual and a user of illegal narcotics) who was extremely intelligent with an documented IQ around 150, IIRC. Although, I have no proof in the case of this soldier, it's very possible that he was physically and psychologically abused as a child. Abused children tend to have heightened perceptions which enhance IQ. So, a high IQ can be both a blessing and a curse depending on the person's circumstances. Now, can we get back to the work of Ron's campaign? ;)

* quality and quantity

I agree..

I also believe that really really smart people are borderline crazy. A lot of the genius types have mental problems/social probs.

UnitedWeStand
03-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I agree..

I also believe that really really smart people are borderline crazy. A lot of the genius types have mental problems/social probs.

And from the few people Ive known who are 150+, drug problems as well.

Rhys
03-06-2008, 01:25 AM
lol you guys are asses who's jealous. why's people gotta be drug addict, crazy molested orphans to be smart? :)

ionlyknowy
03-06-2008, 01:29 AM
lol you guys are asses who's jealous. why's people gotta be drug addict, crazy molested orphans to be smart? :)

Not jealous, I have high scores and can attest to some of this stuff..

Plus I have noticed everything that I have said in others..

Shink
03-06-2008, 01:29 AM
I've scored high on IQ tests before, but I don't see how it measures "intelligence" accurately. It's all subjective. I remember reading somewhere a bit on IQ tests that made a lot of sense. It basically pointed out that it is scoring people along predetermined lines and doesn't necessarily reflect anything other than a person's ability to pass a culturally accepted 'style' of test.

If I wrote up a test with general sections in grammar, reading comprehension, Magic: the Gathering rules, combat techniques of an airborne infantry platoon and video game aptitude and got it pushed into being the standard test in a geographic area, what would a high score really tell anyone? My guess: awesomeness level.

UnitedWeStand
03-06-2008, 01:36 AM

My experiences are with childhood friends. Obviously many highly intelligent people don't become speed/ heroine addict hermits. I was just adding that I know of several people who have had a hard time acclimating into "normal" that have high IQ's.

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 02:41 AM
All I've heard, which I don't really care much about IQ testing since my mind can be better used to remember more important things, but that there are 6 major categories: Genius (above 160), Superior Intellect (140-159), Average or slightly above (100-139), Moron (80-99), Idiot (40-79), and Imbecile (1-39).

Umm, no. Not even close. I'll get to that later.

Your scales are wrong. Yes, I said "scales". You offered two different scales in your posts, a mistake an extraordinarily intelligent person would be very unlikely to make. Your spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are terrible, also not typical of someone of extraordinary intelligence.

Frankly, Nate, it is highly unlikely that anyone with even a 140 IQ, let alone 160, would appear to be so woefully uninformed unless 1) they were less than 12 years old or 2) were raised by wolves.

Anyone with an IQ anywhere near 160 would have been tested numerous times (because it is an extraordinary score) and would likely have at least a passing notion of IQ scoring and testing (which also leads me to believe you do NOT have an IQ of 160).

The average is around 100. As I recall, the average 4-year college graduate will be a bit above 110. The average person with a doctoral level degree will be a bit above 120. A score of 132 will get you into Mensa. These numbers are just off the top of my head, but I'm sure they're very close to correct. Remember, the scale is logarithmic, so the difference between an IQ of 110 and 100 is significant, the difference between 100 and 132 is colossal. A score of 160 is phenomenal and very rare. Folks with an IQ that high typically aren't clueless, Nate- they tend to know a LOT of stuff- you know, the kind of people who sit there and answer every question when watching Jeopardy (even if they don't have a lot of formal education).

I also agree with the poster who said that even the best IQ tests have huge problems. Often intelligence tests are more tests of knowledge than intelligence (or, at least, have a heavily knowledge based component). The other problem: IQ test questions typically are not written by people with truly phenomenal intelligence. A person with an IQ of 130, writing a test question to test the intelligence of someone with an IQ of160, is a disaster waiting to happen (one big problem, the person with an IQ of 130 will see one "answer" to a question, whereas the person with an IQ of 160 may see two or three solutions that the person with lower intelligence will not.

Another problem I have with the definition of "intelligence" is that it is sometimes called the "ability to learn"- I don't agree with that as an all encompassing definition. Its also the ability to quickly solve problems. For example, in those number sequences that are so typical of IQ tests; a person of average intelligence (100) may not be able to figure out the answer at all- he'll be completely baffled; a person of above average intelligence (say 120) can usually grind out the correct answer if he ponders the question for a while; the person with high intelligence will require little more than a glance to see the "obvious" answer.

BTW, any of these "presidential IQ" emails you see are complete BS (notice there is rarely a source, or if there is a "source" its something you can quickly determine to be fake).

Okay, enough rambling for now.

And, if anyone is curious, my IQ is above average, but less than 170...

Russellk30
03-06-2008, 02:51 AM
Umm, no. Not even close. I'll get to that later.

Your scales are wrong. Yes, I said "scales". You offered two different scales in your posts, a mistake an extraordinarily intelligent person would be very unlikely to make. Your spelling, grammar, and sentence structure are terrible, also not typical of someone of extraordinary intelligence.

Frankly, Nate, it is highly unlikely that anyone with even a 140 IQ, let alone 160, would appear to be so woefully uninformed unless 1) they were less than 12 years old or 2) were raised by wolves.

Anyone with an IQ anywhere near 160 would have been tested numerous times (because it is an extraordinary score) and would likely have at least a passing notion of IQ scoring and testing (which also leads me to believe you do NOT have an IQ of 160).

The average is around 100. As I recall, the average 4-year college graduate will be a bit above 110. The average person with a doctoral level degree will be a bit above 120. A score of 132 will get you into Mensa. These numbers are just off the top of my head, but I'm sure they're very close to correct. Remember, the scale is logarithmic, so the difference between an IQ of 110 and 100 is significant, the difference between 100 and 132 is colossal. A score of 160 is phenomenal and very rare. Folks with an IQ that high typically aren't clueless, Nate- they tend to know a LOT of stuff- you know, the kind of people who sit there and answer every question when watching Jeopardy (even if they don't have a lot of formal education).

I also agree with the poster who said that even the best IQ tests have huge problems. Often intelligence tests are more tests of knowledge than intelligence (or, at least, have a heavily knowledge based component). The other problem: IQ test questions typically are not written by people with truly phenomenal intelligence. A person with an IQ of 130, writing a test question to test the intelligence of someone with an IQ of160, is a disaster waiting to happen (one big problem, the person with an IQ of 130 will see one "answer" to a question, whereas the person with an IQ of 160 may see two or three solutions that the person with lower intelligence will not.

Another problem I have with the definition of "intelligence" is that it is sometimes called the "ability to learn"- I don't agree with that as an all encompassing definition. Its also the ability to quickly solve problems. For example, in those number sequences that are so typical of IQ tests; a person of average intelligence (100) may not be able to figure out the answer at all- he'll be completely baffled; a person of above average intelligence (say 120) can usually grind out the correct answer if he ponders the question for a while; the person with high intelligence will require little more than a glance to see the "obvious" answer.

BTW, any of these "presidential IQ" emails you see are complete BS (notice there is rarely a source, or if there is a "source" its something you can quickly determine to be fake).

Okay, enough rambling for now.

And, if anyone is curious, my IQ is above average, but less than 170...

Is your IQ 123.4?

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 02:54 AM
I agree..

A lot of extraordinarily intelligent people do have trouble "socializing" with regular people- they really have to work at it. Just as a person with an IQ of 120 (probably at least a 4 year college grad) would have a lot of trouble socializing/conversing with a person with an IQ of 60 (probably barely capable of performing menial labor, and not capable of conversation beyond the simplest levels- probably "child like" conversational abilities), the person with an IQ of 160 will have trouble communicating with a person with an IQ of 100.

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Is your IQ 123.4?

No, 432.1. I broke the scales :)

Shink
03-06-2008, 02:56 AM
That is the problem--intelligence is a CONCEPT, not something concrete, rigidly definable. Intelligence, love, beauty, etc. fall into that area. I highly doubt anybody could come up with a test, however carefully crafted, that measures how much you love someone you claim to love and have it amount to anything.

tpreitzel
03-06-2008, 04:11 AM

From my own experience in the military, I knew of one soldier (later discovered to be homosexual and a user of illegal narcotics) who was extremely intelligent with a documented IQ around 150, IIRC. Although, I have no proof in the case of this soldier, it's very possible that he was physically and psychologically abused as a child. Abused children tend to have heightened perceptions which enhance IQ. So, a high IQ can be both a blessing and a curse depending on the person's circumstances. Now, can we get back to the work of Ron's campaign? ;)

I should take my own advice, but some more information just came to me like a bolt out of the blue while laying in bed. ;) So, here's the remaining data on the soldier as far as I can recall. His IQ was 152? His last name was Hxxxxxn with the 534th Signal Company (W. Germany) in about 1975.

Edit: It's best to remove the name for multiple reasons.

ArbitraryExpert
03-06-2008, 04:24 AM
What's the source on this? It doesn't look very credible since it's giving margins for the IQ.

Also, John McCain's IQ has been confirmed to be 133 by Time Magazine, a qualified genius by Mensa's standards.

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 04:38 AM
What's the source on this? It doesn't look very credible since it's giving margins for the IQ.

Also, John McCain's IQ has been confirmed to be 133 by Time Magazine, a qualified genius by Mensa's standards.

An IQ of 133 will (barely) get you into Mensa. Its is NOT "genius"- not even close. Mensa ostensibly takes the top 2% (roughly 6,000,000 Americans qualify)- but being in the top 2% ain't genius.

How did Time determine that John McCain, who barely completed his undergraduate degree, had an IQ of 133?

GunnyFreedom
03-06-2008, 04:46 AM

HAHaha, thats funny! Sounds just like America though. Fact of the matter is, that the IQ is a moving average. If the entire population suddenly became 10 times more intelligent tomorrow, the average IQ would still be 100. 100 is actually the baseline average of all the scores in the database.

I have no doubt that you heard from a source that the average American IQ was 114, but that's just the mass hypnosis of trying to convince the average Joe that he is smarter than the average bear.

Sort of a feel better - buy more thing.

Or maybe it's a vanity thing. Everybody overreports their own IQ to make themselves look smarter. Although if that was the case, I'd have expected it to be reported that the average American IQ was 199. ;-) After all, the average IQ on usenet seems to be around 240.... hehe

GunnyFreedom
03-06-2008, 05:07 AM
PS - I can attest to persons of upper IQ's having socialization problems, abuse, &c. Though that can as often as not be brought upon themselves. I remember being in 3rd grade, and I would daily be dragged out into the hallway and have the %#$& beat out of me because I kept insisting my teacher was wrong on one subject or another. She later got fired, and I was put into a class where the hardest thing we did was bake cookies. Not a good period of my memory. But it was later demonstrated that she was indeed wrong when I was calling her out. I was abused daily for 6 months straight at that point. Yeah I test pretty high, won't get into all that, but if I was really as smart as all that maybe I would have shut the heck up and not had to deal with the daily beatings...

Tarzan
03-06-2008, 05:39 AM
A lot of extraordinarily intelligent people do have trouble "socializing" with regular people- they really have to work at it.

To me, practical intelligence is determined by the conclusions one reaches. Bill Clinton is said to be intelligent, but look at his conclusions on important issues. To me, they qualify as stupid... maybe they were just Hillary's conclusions? :)

I recall an incident in college... it was late (early in the morning, really) and I went to this little dive in the small town I was attending college... it was the only place open at that time of the day. I ordered a burger and some fries. The lady working the counter was worn and appeared to have had a hard life. I watched her as she wrapped my fries in some wax paper (this was a long time ago). She did it with such care and precision; as if it were the most important task in the world.

I really felt sorry for her... that this was such an important task to her. I silently pitied her for her limited mentality (yeah, I was an asshole back then too) and took my burger and fries and went back to the dorm. But, I couldn't eat them... I kept thinking about that poor woman and her limited mentality. I sat there for nearly an hour considering the nature of being until I realized that that woman was probably happier and more content with herself than I ever would be.

Bottom line... we are all individuals... IQs don't necessarily make us any happier or capable of coming to better conclusions... to some degree I envy the woman in the diner. The socialization issue to which libertarian4321 referred has been real for me. It is an ongoing source of frustration when trying to explain certain concepts and conclusions. No drug problems... but years of frustration and communication issues. :o

Oh… I ate the burger and fries… but it was a real Solzhenitsyn moment for me.

hypnagogue
03-06-2008, 05:52 AM
How did Time determine that John McCain, who barely completed his undergraduate degree, had an IQ of 133? I typically score between 130 and 140 on IQ tests and I have had one hell of a time with college. I've had to drop it and pick it back up several times now. There are lots of reasons but I don't much feel like getting into it. All I'm trying to say is that schooling is a skill totally separate from general intelligence.

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Based on the claims I've seen so far, the average IQ of people on this forum is somewhere north of 140, which is amazing, because only a tiny fraction of the population scores that high in real life (not online "life"), lol.

Tarzan
03-06-2008, 06:13 AM
Based on the claims I've seen so far, the average IQ of people on this forum is somewhere north of 140, which is amazing, because only a tiny fraction of the population scores that high in real life (not online "life"), lol.

Yeah... sounds like the DieBold voting machines are being used to enter scores. :rolleyes:

Shed
03-06-2008, 06:29 AM
[citation needed]

brandon
03-06-2008, 06:43 AM
In this thread:

A bunch of egotistical liars inflating thier IQ score and bragging about it.

I cant believe how little of an understanding you all have about IQ. The one guy says his IQ is 160, which would give him the highest IQ out of a randomly selected group of a million people (estimate - depends on SD of test) . lol, yea right buddy.

Also, why do you all insist Ron Paul's IQ is sooo high? Sure he is very knowledgable and an independent thinker, but that doesnt translate to IQ. If his IQ was really super high he would not be in politics and he likely would not have been a medical doctor. He would be hiding in his house teaching himself some obscure branch of theoretical mathematics or something.

by the way, my IQ is 225 ;)

WORST THREAD EVER

Truth Warrior
03-06-2008, 06:45 AM
Wasn't McCain like 6th from the bottom in his graduating class at Annapolis? That tells me more than all I need to know. ;)

ArbitraryExpert
03-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Wasn't McCain like 6th from the bottom in his graduating class at Annapolis? That tells me more than all I need to know. ;)

Time talked about that, but they also said he had an IQ of 133.

I know when I was in high school, I was apathetic and did very poorly. But then I got my act together and scored almost perfect on the SATs and straight As in college.

Doing well in school is more than just IQ, it has to do with character too... I've known more than a few "slow" kids who were in the top of their class just because they studied day and night.

Truth Warrior
03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
In general, none of the military academies are places for slackers. Of course if your daddy is an admiral .......... hmmmmm?

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 01:18 PM
In this thread:

A bunch of egotistical liars inflating thier IQ score and bragging about it.

I cant believe how little of an understanding you all have about IQ. The one guy says his IQ is 160, which would give him the highest IQ out of a randomly selected group of a million people (estimate - depends on SD of test) . lol, yea right buddy.

Also, why do you all insist Ron Paul's IQ is sooo high? Sure he is very knowledgable and an independent thinker, but that doesnt translate to IQ. If his IQ was really super high he would not be in politics and he likely would not have been a medical doctor. He would be hiding in his house teaching himself some obscure branch of theoretical mathematics or something.

by the way, my IQ is 225 ;)

WORST THREAD EVER

Well, the fact that he has a medical degree from one of the top med schools in the country indicates that his IQ is likely well above that of the average college grad.

While not impossible, I suspect it would be extremely unlikely that a person with an IQ of 110 or below could get through Duke U. Med school (its not like getting a BA in History from Texas State).

Another thing about Ron- from my observation of the debates and interviews, he sometimes appears to think faster than he talks- his brain brings up all kinds of info at once and he can't get it out fast enough. He often tries to get too much information into his answers and doesn't realize that he's "losing" his audience (talking way over their heads)- something that is pretty common among high IQ people.

Compare that to the simple answers and blank expressions you get from people like Bush and George W. McCain...

Delaware
03-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Well....no surprise here that we all support Ron Paul.

I've taken a bunch of online IQ tests before scoring in the 127-135 range. Not that the online tests are factual or anything.

Just took the iqtest.com one, which is pretty short, and got a 134.

Thank you for your interest in the test at IQTest.com.

Your general IQ score is: 134

Matt23
03-06-2008, 01:45 PM
Wheres the source?

I don't believe that im smarter then most of the presidential candidates running for leader of the free world.

GunnyFreedom
03-06-2008, 01:49 PM
Wheres the source?

I don't believe that im smarter then most of the presidential candidates running for leader of the free world.

If it makes you feel better, then *I* feel that you are smarter than most of the presidential candidates. Have you actually heart them talk? ;)

pacelli
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Another thing about Ron- from my observation of the debates and interviews, he sometimes appears to think faster than he talks- his brain brings up all kinds of info at once and he can't get it out fast enough. He often tries to get too much information into his answers and doesn't realize that he's "losing" his audience (talking way over their heads)- something that is pretty common among high IQ people.

This is the statistical phenomenon known as the "pear-shaped curve" at work. Applied to intellectual testing and social relations measurement, those at the highest end of the intellectual scale will have a decreased social relations score. There is a drop-off in social efficiency at very superior levels of intelligence.

LibertyIn08
03-06-2008, 02:42 PM
This is the statistical phenomenon known as the "pear-shaped curve" at work. Applied to intellectual testing and social relations measurement, those at the highest end of the intellectual scale will have a decreased social relations score. There is a drop-off in social efficiency at very superior levels of intelligence.

Bingo. It is simply genetics at work; one must trade off social skills for increased logic skills.

Likewise, how 'rainman' is able to read two pages of a book at the same time, with above 90% retention rate, but cannot tie his own shoes.

If I may ask, why does it even matter?

Incrimsonias
03-06-2008, 03:51 PM
You guys should know IQ tests don't mean squat... in relation to actually measuring one's intelligence.

StarKissed
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Actually, the studies say that people with the below problems, and who have higher intelligence, are Wanderers, or Walk-ins, from other planets.

HA! Sorry, I couldn't resist. :eek:

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 04:00 PM

I believe that highly intelligent people have a hard time interacting with people of more average intelligence. Socializing with someone far less intelligent is almost a form of toil, and I suspect many intelligent people just don't bother forming relationships with those who are significantly less intelligent- sort of a "why bother" attitude- if you aren't getting anything out the the relationship, and its hard work, why bother?

Since the overwhelming majority of people are not highly intelligent, the highly intelligent would probably find few people with whom they can have a meaningful relationship.

I wonder if anyone ever did a study of how highly intelligent people interact with other highly intelligent people- I'll bet the "social" interactions of people of similar intelligence are far more fruitful.

When I was younger, I always dated women who were college grads (and therefore likely above average intelligence), but frankly, they tended to rapidly become tiresome (regardless of how good they looked :). When I found one who was very intelligent, where I didn't feel like I had to explain everything in excruciating detail before she "got it", I stuck with her (she's a Ron Paul fan, too!)

libertarian4321
03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Bingo. It is simply genetics at work; one must trade off social skills for increased logic skills.

Likewise, how 'rainman' is able to read two pages of a book at the same time, with above 90% retention rate, but cannot tie his own shoes.

If I may ask, why does it even matter?

Its not a zero sum game.

Obviously, there are people who have no intelligence and no social skills (look in any prison, you'll find plenty of them).

There are others who have very high intelligence, good social skills, are good looking, and athletic as well. Highly intelligent people CAN get along with people of average intelligence, but they have to work at it. Its almost like they have to learn how to communicate with "regular" people. If a person is willing to do that, he can do well socially as well as be very intelligent.

Maltheus
03-06-2008, 04:21 PM
Most of those intelligent people who have poor social skills probably have some level of Asperger Syndrome, which is a mild form of autism. I don't think intelligence necessarily goes hand in hand the inability to relate.

As for IQs, I tested fairly well as a kid and I always wanted to retest and confirm it, but all the boozing and smokin' has probably diminished my chances as besting my childhood score, so I've chosen to believe it's unchanged instead. I suppose it doesn't matter. Although I may be stupider, but I'm far more educated than I ever have been. It evens out.

Tarzan
03-06-2008, 04:42 PM
When I was younger, I always dated women who were college grads (and therefore likely above average intelligence), but frankly, they tended to rapidly become tiresome (regardless of how good they looked :). When I found one who was very intelligent, where I didn't feel like I had to explain everything in excruciating detail before she "got it", I stuck with her (she's a Ron Paul fan, too!)

Does she have a sister? :)

Hook
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Obviously, not all of the candidates have taken official IQ tests and then allowed them to be published online. The whole thing is B.S.

I would take "official" IQ results with a grain of salt as well. I am very skeptical that something that has as many orthoginal degrees of freedom as "Intelligence" can have its dimensionallity reduced to one number. Let alone the silly online IQ tests.

But that is just my opinion, I could be wrong. :D

LibertyIn08
03-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Its not a zero sum game.

Obviously, there are people who have no intelligence and no social skills (look in any prison, you'll find plenty of them).

There are others who have very high intelligence, good social skills, are good looking, and athletic as well. Highly intelligent people CAN get along with people of average intelligence, but they have to work at it. Its almost like they have to learn how to communicate with "regular" people. If a person is willing to do that, he can do well socially as well as be very intelligent.

To a point, yes.

But there exists many situations where the brain is simply not wired to support or encourage normal social discourse.

Where did I say that is was a 'zero sum' game?