PDA

View Full Version : RP supporter wins "upset" primary for Texas House seat.

PauliticsPolitics
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
http://www.590klbj.com/News/Story.aspx?ID=86315

Did y'all see this?

Red Dingo
03-05-2008, 05:15 PM
woot woot. as a democrat too!

inibo
03-05-2008, 05:15 PM
That is a pretty wacky story. Ron Paul Democrat? Works for me. I will never understand Texas.

Banana
03-05-2008, 05:16 PM
In 2006?

A bit too late to the news scene, KLBJ.... :D

Penners
03-05-2008, 05:17 PM
Major Upset in Williamson Democratic Primary
3/5/2008

Newsroom

A self-proclaimed Ron Paul supporter vies for the Democratic Nomination for Seat 20 in the Texas House of Representatives and wins. Liberty Hill man Jim Dillon became known as James “Patriot” Dillon during his run as a write in candidate in the 2006 Texas gubernatorial election.

Dillon is a regular speaker at the Williamson County Commissioners Court and Georgetown City Council. On an almost weekly basis, Dillon uses the Public Comment time at public meetings to express his opinions on the “invasion” of illegal immigrants from Mexico, abortion, corruption in government and what he is calling the “tyranny” of Governor Rick Perry’s “rule”. He has also been highly critical of County Judge Dan Gattis, Senior.

Gattis’s son, Dan Gattis, Junior, currently holds Seat 20 in the Texas House.

Democratic Part Chair Richard Torres tells KLBJ Dillon submitted his name as a candidate just before the 6 pm deadline on filing day. Torres says he is aware that many, if not all, of Dillon’s views are not in line with the Democratic Party. Torres says that while he could not refuse Dillon’s entry into the race, he is not a candidate the Democratic Party sought.

Also running for the nomination was Leonard Surrat, who previously held office in California.

Primary totals show Dillon with 68% of the vote, bringing in over ten thousand supporters, opposed to Surrat, who brought in just under six thousand votes. In the Republican Primary, 13,444 people voted for Gattis in the un-contested race.

last modified: 3/5/2008 2:14:35 PM

+1 HURRAY! This is what we have to do to effect a real change. (note: he became known in 2006 --- this is not old news)

Captain America
03-05-2008, 05:17 PM
we need this all over the country

PauliticsPolitics
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
In 2006?

A bit too late to the news scene, KLBJ.... :D

nono, read the article, this Dillon dude ran a campaign for governor in 06 that got some attention, but he didn't win.

He just won the primary towards a Texas house seat yesterday.

read people...

PauliticsPolitics
03-05-2008, 05:22 PM
This goes to show, in local elections, you can run under whatever party you want. I will probably have to run as a Democrat in Chicago since there is no other real party out here. The Democratic Primary is the election (basically)...

Agent CSL
03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Huzzah!

yongrel
03-05-2008, 05:49 PM
awesome!

03-05-2008, 05:58 PM
He's right next to us here in Brazos County!

Looks like I'm going to be canvassing for him! I would encourage our Austin friends to do the same!!!

Banana
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
nono, read the article, this Dillon dude ran a campaign for governor in 06 that got some attention, but he didn't win.

He just won the primary towards a Texas house seat yesterday.

read people...

:o

D'oh.

Looks like the egg is on me.

Gtex
03-05-2008, 06:18 PM
So awesome!
Congrats Mr. Dillon!!

crazyfingers
03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
Democratic Part Chair Richard Torres tells KLBJ Dillon submitted his name as a candidate just before the 6 pm deadline on filing day. Torres says he is aware that many, if not all, of Dillon’s views are not in line with the Democratic Party. Torres says that while he could not refuse Dillon’s entry into the race, he is not a candidate the Democratic Party sought.

Well, that's too bad because you've got him.

But honestly, this guy's going to need a lot of help when he obviously doesn't have the backing of the party. Hopefully he gets it since he has already proven he can win.

0zzy
03-05-2008, 06:36 PM
can I get info on this guy? a website or something?

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Nice!!!!

PatriotOne
03-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Dillon is a regular speaker at the Williamson County Commissioners Court and Georgetown City Council. On an almost weekly basis, Dillon uses the Public Comment time at public meetings to express his opinions on the “invasion” of illegal immigrants from Mexico, abortion, corruption in government and what he is calling the “tyranny” of Governor Rick Perry’s “rule”. He has also been highly critical of County Judge Dan Gattis, Senior.

Any enemy of Rick Perry is a friend of mine. Perry is scum of the highest order. We definately need to take over the State of Texas and flank that SOB and run him out of town.

Bradley in DC
03-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Major Upset in Williamson Democratic Primary

Williamson County: if memory serves Dr. Paul represented the southern/western half of the county from 1997 for some years before redistricting.

leonster
03-05-2008, 08:14 PM
This goes to show, in local elections, you can run under whatever party you want. I will probably have to run as a Democrat in Chicago since there is no other real party out here. The Democratic Primary is the election (basically)...

Definitely. A certain number of House and Senate seats out there are pretty much "safe" for one party or another... it would do us little good to run a "Ron Paul Republican" in a district where the vote consistently goes 70% to the Democrats. Instead, let's run a "Ron Paul Democrat" by playing up the anti-war message and the libertarian principles of leaving people alone to make their own choices.

PauliticsPolitics
03-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Definitely. A certain number of House and Senate seats out there are pretty much "safe" for one party or another... it would do us little good to run a "Ron Paul Republican" in a district where the vote consistently goes 70% to the Democrats. Instead, let's run a "Ron Paul Democrat" by playing up the anti-war message and the libertarian principles of leaving people alone to make their own choices.

Yep, that's my plan in Chicago.
In an area like chicago, a Republican rarely gets more than 20% in the general election. The Dem Primary IS the election. Maybe the Green Party would have a chance, but that hasn't proven too successful.

For all those RP fans out there who came from Hard-Core Republican pasts, you have to get over it and realize that we can run our people in whatever party it takes to win.

Who cares what party it is! It's just a label really.

jarofclay
03-06-2008, 01:33 AM
this is awesome!

Rahl
03-06-2008, 01:47 AM
"they" infiltrated both parties, we will do the same.