PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul wins Texas!

Elwar
03-05-2008, 03:21 PM
at least...he could

I may be way off, but if Ron Paul has a majority of delegates at the convention they could vote to change the rules about how the national delegates are divied up.

In essence, they could vote to have all 140 TX delegates bonded to Ron Paul.

Or am I way off?

Elwar
03-05-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm also surprised that Limbaugh gave us such a gift by getting all of those neo cons to vote Democrat. Do they not know what they just did to themselves?

The only qualification to be a member of the Republican Party is to vote in the last primary.

Remember that's why most of us couldn't vote in the straw poll and just had to stand outside with signs.

I hope they enjoy looking in from the outside for the next two years.

jblosser
03-05-2008, 03:46 PM
We haven't added up the delegate counts yet but yes, Ron Paul will probably control the Texas delegation. That may not mean rules changes but it will mean a host of Texas delegates on the floor in St. Paul going after the undecideds. We started it last night in the conventions and swayed other people just arguing about resolutions with them. Remember Reagan's Raiders, cue Paul's Patriots.

Naraku
03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Can the Texas state convention revoke the binding of the Texas primary delegates?

03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
at least...he could

I may be way off, but if Ron Paul has a majority of delegates at the convention they could vote to change the rules about how the national delegates are divied up.

Or am I way off?

Fascinating, haven't thought about it!

jjank11
03-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Yes, i do believe that at the state level we can vote to unbind our delegates to any candidate. If we have enough Paul supporters this is possible, as well as possible to change the party platform of the state.
Basically we can then have resolutions such as no confidence to McCain and/or no confidence to Governor Perry, etc.

This is big news if Paul gets the majority of the delegates.

Tarzan
03-05-2008, 05:03 PM
at least...he could

Or am I way off?

Sorry, kinda off... any changes to the rules (ie, the way National delegates are selected) would first require an amendment and would need to be to come from the State Republican Executive Committee. There are some additional requirements. If an amendment passes it would need to be ratified at the State Convention. (more requirement on how that works).

Here are the rules: TexasGOP Convention Rules (http://www.texasgop.org/site/DocServer/2006_General_Rules.pdf?docID=2041)

Currently about 15 National delegates will be unbound as they have been freed by Huckabee's withdraw from the race (if my math is correct)... 3 are mandated to be unbound... the remainder will be bound to McCain.

So, to do what you are suggesting would require a meeting of the SREC... passing of an amendment by SREC... passing the amendment at the convention... then you could change the process... except, the National RP gets input too... and the rule changes must be filed with the Texas Secretary of State... The chances are rather slim.

Oh... you would also be sued by the campaigns (McC, etc.) for changing the rules in mid-process... and any rule changes would almost certainly NOT be upheld. The original rules, and awarding of national delegates, would be upheld as a simple matter of contract law.

jersdream
03-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Bound or not...who cares....is it a crime to not vote for who you are bounded for? No.....

Civil Disobedience people....remember this is a revolution

FrankB
03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Bound or not...who cares....is it a crime to not vote for who you are bounded for? No.....

This needs to be explored!

So, if all the precinct delegates go to their county conventions, and dominate them, and elect Ron Paul supporters to be delegates to the State Convention...

Can those RP supporters at the State Convention simply vote for Ron Paul anyway?

What would ahppen as a result?

If nothing else... it would MAKE THE NEWS, I would think...

Tarzan
03-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Nope... this is based in contract law... heck, it IS contract law. The RNC would throw out any such vote submission... they would have to (because of contact law) and the TexasGOP would be sued by McC and the RNC... guaranteed! It is a wonderful thought... but it is just fantasy.

BUT... and this is a BIG BUT :)
This DOES make it possible to take over the GOP in Texas... AND THIS IS A BIG STEP. The state delegates will have the opportunity to replace the Executive Committee as well as many of the leadership positions in the GOP in Texas... THAT IS MAJOR. The RP delegates also have a major opportunity to change the platform of the TexasGOP... ANOTHER BIG DEAL!!!

The bigger fish got away... focus on the one that's been hooked and reel it in.

This can only be done if the delegates remain united. Viable candidates for the leadership positions need to be selected and support needs to be rallied to get them elected. This will take effort and coordination... splitting the RP delegates votes would be unwise... pick candidates for these positions and replace the current leaders at the state convention.

Tarzan
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
The RNC voter turnout has been very small... while the process differs from state to state this could be an excellent opportunity to take control of some state GOPs. With McC being reported as the winner GOP voters will turn out in even lower numbers.

A dedicated group of Ron Paul supporters may be able to take over the GOP leadership in a number of the remaining states.

I am not familiar with the rules in the remaining states... I think this could be something well worth looking into for those in areas beyond the March 4th primaries.

good luck to us all

hawks4ronpaul
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Nope... this is based in contract law... heck, it IS contract law. The RNC would throw out any such vote submission... they would have to (because of contact law) and the TexasGOP would be sued by McC and the RNC... guaranteed! It is a wonderful thought... but it is just fantasy.

The GOP rules are the contract. If the contract has no revision deadline, then it allows a revision after the primary, and there is no breach.

Look at the GOP Louisiana shenanigans.

Also see how the Democrats and media are talking about all sorts of ways to alter the FL and MI results.

http://hawks4ronpaul.blogspot.com/

280Z28
03-05-2008, 09:22 PM
SD 14 delegates: I promise to represent you with optimism and dedication to the very end if you vote me into one of the national delegate spots. And those who know me know I'm good for my word. I'm going to (attempt to) mail letters to the delegates in this district telling about myself and what I stand for.