PDA

View Full Version : With his congressional seat secured, could RP now run 3rd party?!

biles1234
03-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Without the worries of a challenge for his congressional seat back home after yesterday's murking of Peden, would it be possible for Dr. Paul to announce a third party candidacy in the hopes of reviving the revolution that he started??!

I understand and greatly respect the commitment to his home district, but the truth of the matter is that Dr. Paul himself sabotaged the movement by essentially calling it quits.

Just look at the drop in $$$, people on this forum...people are leaving the Ron Paul Facebook groups by the hundreds each day. Announcing a 3rd party candidacy would spark life back in the revolution, inspire the supporters (many of whom feel very let down), garner maybe just a little more media coverage but most importantly result in the continued spreading of the word about the movement.

Oh yeah. And it would make the march much more successful!

Lovecraftian4Paul
03-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Without the worries of a challenge for his congressional seat back home after yesterday's murking of Peden, would it be possible for Dr. Paul to announce a third party candidacy in the hopes of reviving the revolution that he started??!

I understand and greatly respect the commitment to his home district, but the truth of the matter is that Dr. Paul himself sabotaged the movement by essentially calling it quits.

Just look at the drop in $$$, people on this forum...people are leaving the Ron Paul Facebook groups by the hundreds each day. Announcing a 3rd party candidacy would spark life back in the revolution, inspire the supporters (many of whom feel very let down), garner maybe just a little more media coverage but most importantly result in the continued spreading of the word about the movement.

Oh yeah. And it would make the march much more successful!

YES. In fact, he must run as an independent or third party candidate to keep this movement alive. We're fading without any real objective. And no, there will never be even 1% of this entire movement aside from the diehards joining the GOP in vain hopes of reforming it. Even they won't make a tiny dent if McCain wins in November either.

m72mc
03-05-2008, 08:24 AM
He is running for the republican nomination which will be decided in September.
He would have to cancel that to run independent and while it might inspire some people who think the msm can count and donīt lie, it would be a bad decision as Ron has explained so many times. But whatever he does, he has my support.

ToryNotion
03-05-2008, 08:27 AM
I've heard he'd be excluded from the ballot on at least 4 states due to 'sore loser laws' if he ran 3rd party. He'll make a decision based on what is best for the message, not himself as he always has.

Lovecraftian4Paul
03-05-2008, 08:30 AM
I've heard he'd be excluded from the ballot on at least 4 states due to 'sore loser laws' if he ran 3rd party. He'll make a decision based on what is best for the message, not himself as he always has.

True. As for the sore loser laws, the four states have basis for legal challenges. It's never actually been tested on a Presidential level before. And who knows, if he were listed an independent in just those four states (or more), it could well be a loophole. I would like to see the specific wording of each of these laws, but I've had no success in tracking them down in the jungles of electoral legal code to date.

Richie
03-05-2008, 08:42 AM
I respect Ron Paul and all, but I think we need a fresh leader to energize us all. Personally, I'm leaning towards Bob Barr. He's made a COMPLETE turnaround since leaving Congress, and he's an excellent speaker. My November dream ticket is Barr/Paul. Barr being President, Paul being Vice President. All sore loser laws would be bypassed, and all of our energy will be focused on the same place. http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

Lovecraftian4Paul
03-05-2008, 08:45 AM
I respect Ron Paul and all, but I think we need a fresh leader to energize us all. Personally, I'm leaning towards Bob Barr. He's made a COMPLETE turnaround since leaving Congress, and he's an excellent speaker. My November dream ticket is Barr/Paul. Barr being President, Paul being Vice President. All sore loser laws would be bypassed, and all of our energy will be focused on the same place. http://www.bobbarr2008.com/

I'd still prefer Paul/Barr, but I would happily vote for the reverse ticket. There are some quasi-credible rumors floating around about upcoming talks between the two men, so either way, we should be encouraged. I believe there will be a third party ticket of some sort, whether it has Ron Paul leading it or supporting it. For now, I am going to continue to work to draft Paul into an independent/third party run.

terryhamel
03-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Speaking of sabotage, I refer you to the topic.

Ron Paul is a man of principle. His record proves it. He said he will not run third party. He said he is in this to the end. The end is the National Convention.

SteveMartin
03-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Wayne Paul (Ron's brother) reminded me on the phone last week that his brother never said he wouldn't run INDEPENDENT if his supporters demanded it.

I spoke to Bob Barr twice last week as well, and urged him to consider running on a ticket with RP--and I also could live with either man at the top of that ticket. He was excited about it, and told me he would meet with RP and that this would be brought up. (It was a pre-scheduled meeting that took place Tuesday at 5:30 PM.)

Bob Barr's secretary told me he would call me today. I will pass on whatever I may.

The idea is an Independent ticket not a 3rd party run. Please don't confuse the two.

Bob Barr would leave the LP and run with Ron as an Independent, then the two would seek the endorsement (and ballot positions) of all the third parties.

SteveMartin
03-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Speaking of sabotage, I refer you to the topic.

Ron Paul is a man of principle. His record proves it. He said he will not run third party. He said he is in this to the end. The end is the National Convention.

Terry,

I believe the "end," as far as the Republican convention is concerned, should be when there is no longer any hope of a brokered convention. That "end" has been passed now.

literatim
03-07-2008, 07:09 AM
His congressional seat isn't secure until he wins the general election. He can't run as Independent and Republican at the same time.

Razmear
03-07-2008, 07:13 AM
I believe there is no Dem running against him in the General, so it's pretty secure.

eb

acptulsa
03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
His congressional seat isn't secure until he wins the general election. He can't run as Independent and Republican at the same time.

Obviously he can't run in one particular race as both. I don't think it follows that he can't run different races on different affiliations. In any case, getting him on state ballots independently of the G.O.P.'s blessing would be a strength in what is bound to be a contentious convention.

SteveMartin
03-07-2008, 07:15 AM
He can't run as Independent and Republican at the same time.

Citation?

libertythor
03-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Wayne Paul (Ron's brother) reminded me on the phone last week that his brother never said he wouldn't run INDEPENDENT if his supporters demanded it.

Bob Barr would leave the LP and run with Ron as an Independent, then the two would seek the endorsement (and ballot positions) of all the third parties.

It wouldn't be an issue of leaving the LP or the RP....It would be running as an independent. :)