PDA

View Full Version : Obama's ground game and their convention

ToryNotion
03-05-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't watch the MSM that much and their 'all CliBama, all the time' coverage but I'm picking up that

1) Clinton is weak in caucuses
2) Obama gets more fundraising and volunteer support from the grass roots
and younger voters

Bill tried to spin Hill's weakness in caucuses as a demographic thing: caucus voters are better off and don't need government as much but I think it goes deeper than that. I think Obama has done a better good of seeking and energizing grassroots supporters.

I wonder if his grassroots organizers and their counterparts in the paid staff have a fight for every delegate strategy similar to RP's? The point is moot I suppose if he is persuaded to step aside to ensure party cohesion and success in the general election.

ToryNotion
03-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Dick Morris on Hill's weakness in caucus states...

Hillary has only carried two of nine caucus states and admittedly does poorly in that format. She claims that her weakness in caucuses is due to the inability of her single female voters to spend the time at a caucus on a weekday evening or to find child care even if they want to go. Perhaps. But Obama’s candidacy, generating rock star enthusiasm especially among young voters, certainly seems to generate the kind of commitment that leads voters to want to attend caucuses. It’s obviously easier to get people to spend twenty minutes voting near their homes than to spend three hours travelling to caucus locations and attending their meeting.

----------------------------
Will this translate to weakness in state delegate selection conventions as well?

undergroundrr
03-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I wonder if his grassroots organizers and their counterparts in the paid staff have a fight for every delegate strategy similar to RP's?

Yes. While I was sign-waving in front of my polling location yesterday, there were two Obama grassroots relentlessly asking their voters to attend the caucus. Later in the evening, while 20 or so Republicans were walking into the district convention, there were around 2 or 3 hundred democrats flooding into their caucus next door, almost entirely African-American.