PDA

View Full Version : How can Paul win in St. Paul?

dvdrink
03-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I would love it if Ron Paul could somehow surprise everyone and win the nomination, but can someone who believes this is even possible please explain to me how it would work? is this a likely scenario? what numbers do you base it on?

I just can't see how, even if we had some secret majority of the delegates, we could pull this off.

Can anyone imagine Huckabee winning at the convention over McCain? Or, to put it in starker terms, can anyone imagine a candidate with a few hundred fewer delegates than Huckabee (someone like Paul) somehow beating out McCain and taking the nomination? There would be a revolt and the majority of the GOP would not support that candidate because it would not seem like the will of the voters was respected.

It seems like we should give up on the idea that Ron Paul is going to win the GOP nomination. If you want to give money, give it to the "Ron Paul Republicans" who can actually win in the GOP in November.

Or, push for Ron Paul to run third party so we can keep this movement going.

Banana
03-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Some talk about brokered convention, which won't happen because there aren't enough candidates in race to split the delegate votes.

But for me, personally, Paul still wins, without the nomination, as long we have 1191+ RP supporters as delegates. They may be bound to other candidates, but nomination is the only thing they're bound for. They're free to do anything WRT party's platforms, rules, etc. By storming the convention, we take the control of party and reform it and possibly make it politically infeasible for the nominee to run contrary to RP's message.

derdy
03-05-2008, 12:34 AM
I would love it if Ron Paul could somehow surprise everyone and win the nomination, but can someone who believes this is even possible please explain to me how it would work? is this a likely scenario? what numbers do you base it on?

I just can't see how, even if we had some secret majority of the delegates, we could pull this off.

Can anyone imagine Huckabee winning at the convention over McCain? Or, to put it in starker terms, can anyone imagine a candidate with a few hundred fewer delegates than Huckabee (someone like Paul) somehow beating out McCain and taking the nomination? There would be a revolt and the majority of the GOP would not support that candidate because it would not seem like the will of the voters was respected.

It seems like we should give up on the idea that Ron Paul is going to win the GOP nomination. If you want to give money, give it to the "Ron Paul Republicans" who can actually win in the GOP in November.

Or, push for Ron Paul to run third party so we can keep this movement going.

We are making resolution state wide to unbind MO's delegates.

Even if he doesn't win, showing up with a majority of delegates will send a powerful message.

I'll give to Dr. Paul's campaign until I reach the limit.