PDA

View Full Version : My experience at the Texas Primary/Convention and a question...

synapz
03-05-2008, 12:07 AM
I got to the primary vote at about 6:30 this evening and cast my vote for Dr. Paul, who was, btw, 1st on the list!

I came back at 8:00 for the convention (they call it a convention and not a caucus for the republicans, but it seemed to be the same thing).

Only one other republican was there and we waited for a while and we ended up with 5 republicans. Then we waited around for almost an hour for our chairman to show up! He was really not on top of things. ;)

So first we voted for delegates, and I was nominated and voted for first, even though they didn't know I support Paul (it was very laid back).

Then we offered up resolutions (I offered like ten, but the only one that was accepted was that congress declare war and that it not allow the president to take police actions).

Then at the end I found out that this old lady that was against all my ron paul resolutions was for ron paul! Completely blew my mind, made no sense.

Then at the end of the thing someone said, so... who do we delegates vote for?

So here's my question: as an elected delegate, do I get to vote for whoever I want? Or does it go to the primary vote? Or how does it work? I'll probably vote for paul no matter what the rules are, but I want to know before I break them. ;)

Thanks

gocubsgo
03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
I got to the primary vote at about 6:30 this evening and cast my vote for Dr. Paul, who was, btw, 1st on the list!

I came back at 8:00 for the convention (they call it a convention and not a caucus for the republicans, but it seemed to be the same thing).

Only one other republican was there and we waited for a while and we ended up with 5 republicans. Then we waited around for almost an hour for our chairman to show up! He was really not on top of things. ;)

So first we voted for delegates, and I was nominated and voted for first, even though they didn't know I support Paul (it was very laid back).

Then we offered up resolutions (I offered like ten, but the only one that was accepted was that congress declare war and that it not allow the president to take police actions).

Then at the end I found out that this old lady that was against all my ron paul resolutions was for ron paul! Completely blew my mind, made no sense.

Then at the end of the thing someone said, so... who do we delegates vote for?

So here's my question: as an elected delegate, do I get to vote for whoever I want? Or does it go to the primary vote? Or how does it work? I'll probably vote for paul no matter what the rules are, but I want to know before I break them. ;)

Thanks

If texas is a bound state you don't have to vote for MCCain, you can break the law/rules of the party and cast your vote for who ever you want, i believe.

Jodi
03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
I love it!!!! You are my hero. Getting involved and learning along the way.

Hook
03-05-2008, 12:25 AM
You don't vote for any candidate. You vote for the national delegates that represent TX. Plus platform stuff at the state convention.
So make sure you only vote for RP supporters to be delegates at the next level!

synapz
03-05-2008, 12:25 AM
I love it!!!! You are my hero. Getting involved and learning along the way.

Aww thanks :)