PDA

View Full Version : My Second interview with Liberty Maven!

torchbearer
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.libertymaven.com/2008/03/04/brent-sanders-louisiana-congressional-candidate-interview-part-2/945/

Here we continue our interview with Louisiana District 5 Congressional Candidate Brent Sanders. If you missed the first portion of the interview you should probably read that first.

As always check out all of the Liberty Maven interviews available on the interview page.

LM: Could you elaborate more on the previous question on Congressional term limits? Wouldn’t a Constitutional amendment be necessary to institute them?

Sanders: An amendment to the U.S. Constitution would be necessary to institute term limits for congress. I am in favor of such an amendment.

LM: Talk a little bit about your campaign so far and what your future plans are with respect to your campaign. Will you actively seek endorsements, such as one from Ron Paul?

Sanders: The main focus of our campaign has been fundraising. I have learned from previous elections that in order to compete you need to have enough funds to get your message out. I think people will respond well to the message of limited government and a return to the Constitution. We just need the money to buy the air time. My campaign staff has been very small.

I’ve had one part time staffer since last August and I have recently hired my campaign manager, Andrew Axsom. Andrew is the Louisiana Coordinator for the Ron Paul campaign. We met during the convention process. I haven’t sought any endorsements and that hasn’t been a top priority. Once my campaign is running on all cylinders, I may take the time to seek endorsements. In my last election I was endorsed by the Forum for Equality, a civil rights PAC. I will most likely seek their endorsement again. Overall things are looking good for the campaign and everyone should be looking forward to the next online fundraiser!

LM: What is your position on global warming? Do you believe it is still a debate and not a foregone conclusion as some suggest? What, if anything, should the federal government do about it?

Sanders: I have been keeping track of the data NASA has been collecting regarding this phenomenon and they are showing a definite decrease in polar ice caps. Which to me is a strong argument for a global warming. So yes, there is a rise in overall temperature on earth. I’m still not certain as to all the causes and whether or not the warming of the globe will be destructive or beneficial.

I’m still open to new data regarding the causes of the glacier meltdowns. There may be a combination of variables involved. With all of that being said, I don’t see more government regulation as the answer. At least, not at the federal level. I’d rather see 50 competing enviromental policies than one blanket law that is not easily enforceable and is not very effective. The current government regulations invite more corruption to Washington D.C. as companies lobby for special concessions regarding regulation.

LM: President Bush recently signed a bipartisan economic stimulus package. If you were in Congress at the time of the vote, would you have voted for the package?

Sanders: No, I couldn’t support any spending that would put us furthur into debt, even an “economic stimulus package”. I think it is irresponsible for the government to continue spending money it doesn’t have furthur indebting Americans and our future generations to come. It is this overspending and the inflation that has created the need for the stimulus package. How can you fix the problems of overspending and inflation with more spending and more inflation? You can’t.

LM: In 2002, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act was signed into law as a response to the various corporate shenanigans at the time (Enron being one of them). What are your thoughts on Sarbanes-Oxley? Would you repeal it, expand it, or modify it?

Sanders: Though I do agree with the much of what the act intends to do, I don’t think I would have voted for more Federal Government regulation of corporations. I’d rather see these two entities separate and apart to prevent the need for such powerful lobbies in Washington. The policeman of the market place should be the consumers and their consumer report groups.

I believe each state has sufficient tort laws to handle any damages a person recieves due to fraud in the market and consumer confidence in a brand should be the incentive for the company to get it right the first time. I do believe there should be accounting standards, but those standards should be developed by the profession’s national association not the federal government.

This concludes part 2 of the interview with Sanders. Stay tuned for the 3rd and final part of the interview coming soon.

torchbearer
03-04-2008, 09:34 PM
My first one: http://www.libertymaven.com/2008/02/13/brent-sanders-louisiana-congressional-candidate-interview-part-1/897/

Brent Sanders is running for Congress in Louisiana’s 5th District. He was kind enough to agree to an interview for Liberty Maven about the issues and his campaign.

All Liberty Maven interviews can be viewed by going to the interview page. The interviews are in multiple segments. This is the first interview segment for Sanders (and the first for Liberty Maven as well).

Brent is a regular on Ron Paul Forums and has gained much respect among the members there. Taking a page from Ron Paul’s fund raising success he is having his own money bomb on March 2nd and 3rd. I encourage everyone to pledge and donate to his campaign. Read on for the first segment of the interview.

LM: You are running for Congress in Louisiana’s 5th District. Could you give us a bit of an introduction to you, your background, principles, and why you are running for Congress? Also, for those of us not familiar with the Louisiana election schedule please include the date(s) of the elections in which you are participating.

Sanders: I am a native of Louisiana. I grew up in a small farm village called Lone Pine, the son of an oilman. My interest in politics was fostered by hearing stories of my late grandfather, O’Hearn Mathews who was co-mayor of Alexandria in the late 60’s early 70’s. People spoke of him highly and I wanted to be that kind of politician from an early age.

My interest in politics led my to collegiate studies in Sociology and Political Science. I spent 11 years in the Libertarian Party, as I say, tempered in the flames of liberty. Standing by ones principles was a badge of honor, and that is what drew me to the LP. Ron Paul brought me over the the Republican Party. It was my desire to be a state delegate candidate that prompted my switch, and I plan to stay in the GOP and change the system from within. We have a great group of activists in Louisiana.

Dates for 2008 House Elections:
July 9-11,2008 Candidate Qualifying
September 6, 2008 Primary
October 4, 2008 Primary Run-off (if necesary)
November 4, 2008 General Election

LM: You have aligned yourself with Ron Paul on many issues and call yourself a Ron Paul Republican. Are there any differences between your beliefs on the issues and Paul’s? For instance, Ron Paul has been criticized for proposing earmarks for his district while championing for smaller government. Do you agree with Ron Paul’s explanation on this issue?

Sanders: I haven’t found any positions that Ron Paul holds in opposition of my own. With that said, I don’t know every vote he has ever cast in congress. I do agree with his explanation on earmarks. As long as the federal government is allowed to directly tax our citizens, it will be the duty of the representative to fight to get that money back to the district. Obviously, I think this system of taxation is absurd and needs to change. It allows the federal government too much power over the states and the people of the states. I’m for repealing any resolution or amendment that grants the federal government direct taxation powers.

LM: In your view what are the top three issues affecting your district? As a Congressman what would you do to help with these issues?

Sanders: The problems we face in Louisiana are not unique to Louisiana. These are national problems. Like Dr. Paul, I like to talk in terms of policy changes, because tinkering a little here and there are not going to fix any problems. The problems are systemic. Instead of listing 3 unique problems, I’d rather proclaim, that my main focus will be returning stability to our economy through sound money and a non-interventionist foreign policy.

Higher prices are hurting everyone. Its not hard to figure out the root of this problem. We spend close to a trillion dollars a year overseas maintaining an empire. That is a trillion dollars a year that leave our shores and doesn’t come back. It’s no wonder we are getting poorer each year. Imagine if all those military bases were here at home and that trillion dollars a year was circulating in our ecomony? This is where Dr. Paul is spot on. For us to have prosperity, we must have peace.

LM: Many past and current politicians talk about instituting term limits for Congress in order to eliminate the career politician and the influence of special interest groups. Do you support legislation for Congressional term limits?

Sanders: Yes, I whole-heartedly support term limits for Congress. We have term limits for President, and I think that system works great.

LM: Who is your favorite founding father and why?

Sanders: Ok, this is the hardest question, because its hard to pick one over another. If I had to pick one, George Washington is the founding father that impresses me the most. It was the restraint and wisdom he showed as the first President. He could have easily birthed this country with a strong executive branch, yet choose to be a humble President who resigned on his own volition setting our 2 term standard. If only we had more people like him in politics today. A person who put the love of country and Constitution above personal gain and party loyalty.

This completes the first interview segment Stay tuned for future interview segments with Sanders soon. In the meantime check out his campaign web site JoinSanders.com for more information.

torchbearer
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
bump!

syborius
03-04-2008, 09:59 PM
bump

torchbearer
03-04-2008, 10:26 PM
just reached $10,000. :)

kigol
03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
good luck.

torchbearer
03-04-2008, 11:08 PM
bump

torchbearer
03-05-2008, 08:28 AM
bump

pepperpete1
03-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Good answers in your interview.

bcreps85
03-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Great job sir!

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
bump!

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 05:00 PM
also- i should have a podcast of my interview on Wake Up America today. A good 40 minute interview.
And for those who will be online tomorrow around 4pm, i should be on ron paul revolution radio on the 'bet on ron paul' show. http://www.rprradio.com

torchbearer
03-06-2008, 09:50 PM
bump

danda
03-06-2008, 11:02 PM
bump for brent.