PDA

View Full Version : Regarding the recent California anti-homeschooling decision

GunnyFreedom
03-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Reading the court decision in the recent California anti-homeschooling decision, was a chilling experience. Among the statements in the decision, was this gem:

"A primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good
citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state and the nation as a means of protecting
the public welfare."

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B192878.PDF

Read the whole thing. The decision just DRIPS with the notion that the state "owns" our children, part and parcel.

Another sad day for liberty.

molly_pitcher
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
bumped for subscription

danberkeley
03-05-2008, 01:50 AM
there you have it. the courts admit that the state is indoctrinating our children.

GunnyFreedom
03-05-2008, 03:00 AM
The nausea I get from the idea that the "primary purpose of the educational system is to train school children in good
citizenship, patriotism and loyalty to the state" is surpassed only by my disgust over the fact that it is contained in an official court decision.

Truth Warrior
03-05-2008, 06:08 AM
How public education cripples our kids, and why
By John Taylor Gatto

John Taylor Gatto is a former New York State and New York City Teacher of the Year and the author, most recently, of The Underground History of American Education. He was a participant in the Harper's Magazine forum "School on a Hill," which appeared in the September 2003 issue.

http://www.spinninglobe.net/againstschool.htm

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Read the whole thing. The decision just DRIPS with the notion that the state "owns" our children, part and parcel.

Unfortunately, the state has done quite a number on the public with this matter too. Most people (that I come into contact with) don't look favorably upon home schooling. Nevermind indisputable facts, and freaking forget trying to reach those people with philosophy. (like who's ultimately responsible for children.)

jmdrake
03-05-2008, 09:00 AM
This sucks. But it's karma on the stupid HSDLA for backing homeschool flip flopper Mike Huckabee over the consistent friend of the homeschoolers Ron Paul just because Huckabee buys into the stupid war on terror and sees "Islam as a threat". What does foreign policy have to do with homeschooling? :confused: I support homeschoolers all the way. I hope they start a new national association based around the principles of liberty and non intervention foreign policy and that the HSDLA withers into dust.

Regards,

John M. Drake

clouds
03-05-2008, 01:30 PM
I read 10 pages of this. this is pretty sick.

danberkeley
03-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Notwithstanding the Dad-being-accused-of-abuse twist, the problem with this ruling is that it sets a precedant for future court cases involving what the purpose of education is and what authority the state has over parents and their children.

pinkmandy
03-05-2008, 01:42 PM
HSLDA is NOT a friend of homeschoolers imo. It comes down to power for them just like other groups. They butt into states and make demands on state legislatures, states where there were no issues at all but HSLDA said there were, THUS when they demand "changes" it opens up the state's entire homeschooling statute for reinterpretation. They pulled that crap in VA a few years back and our Democratic governor (Warner) tried to add more restrictions when the proposed legislation crossed his desk.

HSLDA did this OVER our state homeschooling group's demands to stay out of our state laws. We KNEW what would happen, HSLDA didn't care.