PDA

View Full Version : Trolls, doubters, I found the rule that shall set us free

nate895
03-04-2008, 05:53 PM
I found this while reading the call to convention:

The Rules of the House of Representatives of the United States shall be the rules of the convention, except that the current authorized edition of Robert's Rules of Order: Newly Revised (“Robert's Rules of Order"), shall be the rules for committees and subcommittees of the convention, insofar as they are applicable and not inconsistent with the rules herein set forth; provided, however, that the convention may adopt its own rules concerning the reading of committee reports and resolutions.

NEPA_Revolution
03-04-2008, 05:54 PM
What does that mean in english?

nate895
03-04-2008, 05:57 PM
What does that mean in english?

That we can use RRO to suspend the rules to make it so delegates can vote for their choice of candidate as opposed to the one they are bound to.

kill the banks
03-04-2008, 06:00 PM
That we can use RRO to suspend the rules to make it so delegates can vote for their choice of candidate as opposed to the one they are bound to.

excuse me if i say a prayer

kill the banks

Banana
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
All it says we're free to adopt different set of rules for reading of reports and resolutions. Not exactly a blank check to suspend everything.

nate895
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
All it says we're free to adopt different set of rules for reading of reports and resolutions. Not exactly a blank check to suspend everything.

It says RRO is the rulebook, therefore anything it doesn't say you can't do (I mean it says "you cannot suspend this rule" or something to that effect) you can do if it is in the RRO.

nate895
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Oh, and in Georgia it merely requires a majority of those present.

teshuah
03-04-2008, 07:19 PM
bump for more discussion... is there any truth to the OP's thoughts here?

nate895
03-04-2008, 07:20 PM
bump for more discussion... is there any truth to the OP's thoughts here?

According to the Call to Convention, Georgia even loosens the rule.