PDA

View Full Version : Forced to vote on a Provisional Ballot

c0unterph0bia
03-04-2008, 11:53 AM
After dumping tons of money into this campaign, today was to be the most glorious day of this entire year - The day I would be able to vote for Ron Paul. It felt good to show up with my voter registration confirmation and ID, I was more than ready, I've been waiting for this day for over eight months. Unfortunately, upon arrival, election workers found that my name had been marked provisional with no further documentation. They kept saying things like "This is very strange" and "I have never seen this before" and "We don't know why" or "It doesn't say". After a ton of bullshit, I was forced to fill out a provisional ballet, and toss it in a lock box which will be counted in the future by the board of elections.

I showed up with my state issued Photo ID and voter registration confirmation.
My name matched that of the electoral roll for my given precinct.
My registration contained accurate, up to date, and correctly spelled information.
I did not vote more than once.
I am not under the age of 18.

For whatever reason I was registered and approved to vote, but some time after that point, my status was changed to "provisional" without notice. The election workers even seemed to feel that my right to vote may have been challenged by someone.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or any idea what may have happened? This pretty much ruined my day, and I don't get upset easily.

English Mastiff
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
That really sucks. You should definitely speak w/ others around your area to gauge if it was a freak mistake or a widespread issue. Fortunately there were no problems here where we voted.

thePhilosopher
03-04-2008, 01:56 PM
You should have had them call the Board of Elections. When I vote later today, I'm going to call my BOE at the first sign of monkey-business.

Sandra
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Set a table up outside your precinct outside the "no politicing zone", and write on posterboard that all Ron paul voters sign in and state whether or not they had to use a privisional ballot.

TonySutton
03-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I updated my address 1 month ago. I walked in fully expecting to have issues so I was loaded for bear. Fortunately, everything went smooth as silk. They had an up to date listing that included my address change and I voted at about 6:45 this morning.

Then I placed numerous signs out front :D

But, yes, you should find out how to file a grievance. If you do not get satisfaction, write letters to the editor and also to the SOS

Also, www.myvotingexperience.com or 877-868-3874 or vri@sos.state.oh.us