PDA

View Full Version : Voter registration (unusual problem)

Lou337
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Hey all, so...

I've converted a sheepy friend to Ron, but we're not sure if she's a citizen, so we're not sure if she can vote without committing a felony (since you MUST be 100% certain you are not lying on the form to register to vote).

Her and her mother were both legal residents. Her mother became a U.S. citizen through naturalization and did it when her child was 17 years old. 18 years old is the limit for passing on citizenship to your child.

Therefore, she's "technically" a citizen. Her mother has a naturalization certificate and a passport. They submitted the paperwork for her passport to come in and for the naturalization certificate, but has received only her new U.S. passport. Certificate will supposedly arrive this year.

Can she register to vote without committing a felony?

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 11:11 AM
I believe so, if she was born on U.S. soil.

Lou337
03-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Nope, not born on U.S. soil. Both are residents. Mother was naturalized. Child was under 18 at the time so she automatically can apply for citizenship and did apply. Her passport has come in, but not the naturalization certificate.

Can the child vote?

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Without the naturalization certificate I would check up on her status before attempting to register.

Lou337
03-04-2008, 11:26 AM
okay. thank you!