PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Flash Mob?

theantirobot
08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
A flash mob (or inexplicable mob) is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, do something unusual for a brief period of time, then quickly disperse.

We could wear Ron Paul stuff. Do they make Orange Ron Paul shirts?

MyKillK
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Yeah I've seen a bright orange shirt around somewhere. There are a lot of RP "stores" out there so it might take me a while to find it again...

foofighter20x
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
I would suggest doinging something like singing the SSB or America, the Beautiful...

Dunno... Up to the organizers, really.

jj111
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
It might get attention, but wouldn't a lot of people watching automatically discount the political aspect of our cause if we were doing such stunts?
Might watchers consider us a "cult" e.g.? And if this was ever written up in a political opinion piece, it could be used as ammunition in a hit piece. I wonder if there would be potential for "blowback" for using such a bizarre political marketing strategy.

I think it's great for Candid Camera, for laughs, for people who want to learn improv, but I wonder about blowback and/or lack of political effectiveness.

I think singing SSB or ATBeautiful would make us look like nuts or a cult to a lot of people.

I think this idea would work effectively only if people simply crowded around a place and acted NORMALLY and, if on public property, distributed flyers/slim jims to those who come and ask. If on private property, we would probably be asked to leave if we distributed literature......

If you can get several volunteers together, personally I think you get a lot more bang by doing traditional political activities such as carrying banners, chanting slogans, and handing out campaign materials in highly trafficked areas.

theantirobot
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
The people participating don't have to do anything, just show up with their clothes screaming, "Ron Paul!"

Clothes screaming, not people screaming.

d'anconia
08-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I think it's a great idea and see no way that it could be used against us. Try to make sure you get enough people so that it's a good one and make sure to get it on film.

jj111
08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
The people participating don't have to do anything, just show up with their clothes screaming, "Ron Paul!"

Cloths screaming, not people screaming.

That might be a good idea, but acting unusual, bizarre, or like an improv group would be counterproductive IMHO.

theantirobot
08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
That might be a good idea, but acting unusual, bizarre, or like an improv group would be counterproductive IMHO.

The point is to make it seem like it wasn't organized.

Just show up and make it look like a whole bunch of people support Ron Paul. Get people asking, "Who is Ron Paul?"

Elwar
08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Why not just get a large group of Ron Paul supporters to go from one populated place to another. Not acting like they're together, just all happen to be at the same place at the same time.

Just have a list for everyone at the starting point and give 5 minutes per place as everyone streams in and out until the final spot.

I know when Ron Paul was here in San Antonio we had him speak at the same time that there was the Houston Street Festival going on. There were Ron Paul people all over the place. I'm sure some people were wondering what the heck was going on.

theantirobot
08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Why not just get a large group of Ron Paul supporters to go from one populated place to another. Not acting like they're together, just all happen to be at the same place at the same time.

Just have a list for everyone at the starting point and give 5 minutes per place as everyone streams in and out until the final spot.

I know when Ron Paul was here in San Antonio we had him speak at the same time that there was the Houston Street Festival going on. There were Ron Paul people all over the place. I'm sure some people were wondering what the heck was going on.

People could go to the mall and walk around in small groups talking about Ron Paul amongst themselves, maybe somewhat loudly. Get it so people pass a dozen different groups talking about Ron Paul during their trip to the mall.

IowaSupport
08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
jj111 - can you give an example of what they might be able to use against us by walking around and shopping together while wearing Ron Paul shirts?

You mentioned them saying that we're in a cult...but wouldn't that apply to everything that any political group does? Meeting in groups at houses, listening to the same doctrine, following a leader, and trying to recruit others to join?

I think that if we can hit a Walmart up with 20-30 people wearing Ron Paul shirts just shopping around at the right time, it will just look like we were at a meeting and were hungry. Same goes with Best Buys or Applebee's. People see the shirts - mission accomplished.

Great idea IMO - I'll try to organize something like this in Iowa City.

ghemminger
08-16-2007, 03:52 PM
You guys are forgetting that the only thing that makes these things interesting is that the group is doing something funny or interesting....that's what get's it noticed...just use you creative minds and think of something without blowback!

COME ON people, I know you can do it!:D

ghemminger
08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I'll be the first to submit a few ideas:

1. All show up to the IRS office and act like statues for 10 minutes
2. Show up at a Mall teams of two...one person in black one in white...the standing one beats the lying down one
3. Everyone goes to a Target, dress up like a Presidential candidate and mentally challenged:D

mtmedlin
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
WHEEWW, glad i finished reading beyond that thread title. I was half naked with my trench coat before I realized what this was about.

danda
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM

I disagree. I think that right now, the key thing for this campaign is building name recognition. Almost anything that furthers that goal is a win.

And this is a harmless, fun caper. Most people present should get a positive take-away from it. Afterwards, there may be an opportunity for press statements -- especially if you call the news channels, newspapers, and local bloggers beforehand.

And besides, I want to see the YouTube video. :-)

Elwar
08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I think something simple would be a good return on a small amount of time.

Just put out an e-mail to your local meetup group with something like this:

Ron Paul Flash Mob Saturday night at 8 (wear your Ron Paul garb):
8:00 Walmart
8:15 Home Depot
8:30 Kroger
8:45 Lowes
9:00 enjoy the rest of your evening (I'll be going to Joe's Tavern if anyone wants to join me)

An hour spent creating a bit of buzz for Ron Paul. As your numbers get higher you can include an e-mail to the local press.

Just act like you don't know the other Ron Paul folks, that there just must be a lot of Ron Paul supporters out there, have everyone keep some Ron Paul business cards in their pockets in case anyone wants information.

Maybe even blanket the cars in the parking lot with cards.

constituent
08-17-2007, 09:23 AM
See You at The Liberty Bell!

Roxi
08-17-2007, 10:31 AM
have you guys looked up flash mob on youtube? the vids are friggin hilarious. theres one where 3500 people showed up at a london train station and all started rave dancing at the same time people are looking around like did i just drop some acid?

theres also one where a bunch of people went into a home depot and walked in slo mo and then stood like statues for 5 minutes... thats some funny shit..

I think this is a great idea but would be way funnier with like 300 of us but even a small group in a small area would be effective

fletcher
08-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Great idea IMO - I'll try to organize something like this in Iowa City.

Ron Paul Bar Crawl!