PDA

View Full Version : Rock County Woman Jailed For Overdue Library Books

angelatc
03-04-2008, 06:49 AM
BELOIT, Wis. -- Rock County residents take notice: The library wants books back on time.

A Rock County woman spent six days in jail for overdue books, WISC-TV reported.

The Beloit Public Library wanted the books back from Keely Givahn. After sending Givahn overdue notices, the library sent her a citation.

Beloit Public Library director Dan Zack said when books aren't returned, the library sends three overdue notices. After the third notice, a citation is sent that could include court date.

When Givahn was pulled over for a traffic violation, the officer found out about her outstanding warrant and took her to jail, WISC-TV reported.

Givahn told authorities that she was in the process of moving and never got the overdue notices.

She and her family couldn't afford to pay her fine so she remained in jail for six days.

Beloit police Capt. Bill Tyler said he knows this case could sound like an overreaction, but he said a municipal fine is a municipal fine, and failure to pay for any reason can result in anarrest warrant being issued.

http://www.channel3000.com/news/15468032/detail.html

HOLLYWOOD
03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
And the cost to the TAXPAYERS and the VICTIM?

Absolutely ridiculous... welcome to the "POLICE STATE of the WORLD" = USA

sophocles07
03-04-2008, 06:10 PM
God that's ridiculous.

danberkeley
03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy new books than to put her in jail? Oh, that's right. It's not their money.

sophocles07
03-04-2008, 07:07 PM
A librarian would definitely be getting their ass kicked as soon as I got out of jail.

IPSecure
08-24-2008, 02:37 AM
20 Year Old Wisconsin Woman Arrested For Overdue Library Books!

Smoking Gun: Link (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0821081books1.html)

coyote_sprit
08-24-2008, 02:47 AM
I'd have a good old book burning festival if this had happened to me.

Charles Wilson
08-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Folks, as bad as it looks on the surface, the local citizens (voters) are in control of what happens on the local and state level. That is their responsibility and right to see that laws are inacted and enforced to benefit/punish all citizens alike.

If this was a federal case where the locals have no say over their laws then outrage and protests would be justified.

jack555
08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
I'll probab;y get flamed for my point of view but I agree with her being arrested.

If you are due in court and don't show up they can and should arrest you. We have to have some laws and if you ditch court what are they supposed to do. She didn't go to jail for not returning books she went to jail for not going to court.

SeanEdwards
08-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Lock the bitch up, and add the expense of keeping her in jail to her overdue book charges.

satchelmcqueen
08-28-2008, 05:46 PM
they should hang her in the streets and then kill her and her dogs!!