PDA

View Full Version : Best "currency" after the BIG CRASH

ChooseLiberty
08-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Ok all you hard money, survival folks. Lets say there's a strike against the US that disrupts/crashes the financial system, martial law is imposed, city infrastructure and support services are down. You are heading for the country to get off the grid and out of the city.

What's the best one "currency" to have?

a_european
08-16-2007, 01:31 PM
At first tobacco and alcohol, then gold and silver.

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
At first tobacco and alcohol, then gold and silver.

Yep. And ammunition.

DAZ
08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Don't know how much ammunition I would be trading. Why give the other guy bullets?

ChooseLiberty
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
How about canned meat/fish or bottled water/ water purifiers?

SWATH
08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I spotted a t-shirt that said:

"Ammo, the currency of the new milennium"

RP08
08-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Chinese Renminbi?

DAZ
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Chinese Renminbi?

Ok, I'll bite. What in blazes is that?

RP08
08-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What in blazes is that?

Chinese dollar

A.K.A. "RMB". Renminbi means "People's Currency" in Chinese

Original_Intent
08-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Yep. And ammunition.

/second

You may not want to trade it, but you can give some to anyone who would like your other coinage.

WannaBfree
08-16-2007, 02:40 PM
...You are heading for the country to get off the grid and out of the city.

it might not be so easy to get out though. Remember the traffic jam in Texas after Katrina? People were running out of gas while being stuck on the highway. If there's a disaster, everyone wants to get out and then no one can. In a bad scenario, food deliveries can't be made... pretty tough for a place like L.A. with only 4 ways in and out and with only a two day supply of food on hand :eek:

though we probably won't have to deal with any of this if martial law is declared. We probably won't even be allowed to go anywhere.

Kregener
08-16-2007, 02:47 PM
Gold and silver.

There are other great barter items, such as food, ammo, etc., as mentioned above, but you had better have a fortress warehouse and the personnel to protect it if you go that route.

The 5,000 year history speaks VOLUMES about owning physical gold and silver.

Syren123
08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
One of best, if not the best, source of food for long term storage:
www.efoodsdirect.com

1) food/water/heat (propane)
2) ammo
3) small denominations of fiat currency
4) PMs
and adding to list:
5) tobacco/alcohol

You need all of these things now in your home. The only really bulky thing is the water - we have three 35 gallon drums. We also have the ROCKIN' Berkey Light water filter system ($200) we use for all drinking water.

Don't forget pet food and prescriptions, batteries for flashlights.

We have all this stored at our house and we live in highly urbanized Los Angeles County. Our goal is to ride out civil unrest by staying put & defending our home, keeping a low profile.

Kregener
08-16-2007, 03:04 PM
If you "stay put" in ANY large city, you will get your house burned down around your ears. Period.

ghemminger
08-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Guns w/ organized gang = Can take anything you are using for currency

Syren123
08-16-2007, 03:11 PM
If you "stay put" in ANY large city, you will get your house burned down around your ears. Period.

You'd think so, but after talking about it a lot with different folks, we're not entirely convinced that this is true. It depends on a lot of things. Not all large cities in the US are alike. Where you live in any particular city makes a difference - there are many factors.

We've got a plan we believe will work for our situation if there were massive civil unrest. Hopefully we'll never have to find out if it works or not.

Syren123
08-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Guns w/ organized gang = Can take anything you are using for currency

LOL! Having worked in the hardest core gang infested turf in Los Angeles for 12 years, I can tell you that most gang members are pussy cowards. They want the least resistance possible. If it becomes apparent to them you are armed in some way, they'll go on to easier targets. And there will be many many easy targets.

The hardest core gang members won't be busy looting residential areas that aren't their own. The kingpins with the high powered weapons will go for big targets of cash, large amounts of easy-carry goods, stuff like that.

ghemminger
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM
LOL! Having worked in the hardest core gang infested turf in Los Angeles for 12 years, I can tell you that most gang members are pussy cowards. They want the least resistance possible. If it becomes apparent to them you are armed in some way, they'll go on to easier targets. And there will be many many easy targets.

The hardest core gang members won't be busy looting residential areas that aren't their own. The kingpins with the high powered weapons will go for big targets of cash, large amounts of easy-carry goods, stuff like that.

I was thinking of Africa...it seems that the Armed "gangs" seem to be the ones who have eveything and take from the unarmed population.....

of course all my ideas come from movies..because I live in suburb....I am for the first time contemplating buying a rifle or gun..:(

AFTFNJ
08-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Top 100 Items to Disappear First During a National Emergency

1. Generators (Good ones cost dearly. Gas storage, risky. Noisy...target of thieves; maintenance etc.)
2. Water Filters/Purifiers
3. Portable Toilets
4. Seasoned Firewood. Wood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried, for home uses.
5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY!)
6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
9. Honey/Syrups/white, brown sugar
10. Rice - Beans - Wheat
11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking) Without it food burns/must be boiled etc.,)
12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (Will become scarce suddenly)
13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Any size. Small: HARD CLEAR PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade if for drinking.
16. Propane Cylinders (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.)
17. Survival Guide Book.
18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/formula. ointments/aspirin, etc.
20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
22. Vitamins
23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous without this item)
24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, honing oil)
27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (Great Cooking and Barter Item)
28. Gasoline Containers (Plastic & Metal)
29. Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels
31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid) (A MUST)
33. Clothes pins/line/hangers (A MUST)
34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
37. First aid kits
38. Batteries (all sizes...buy furthest-out for Expiration Dates)
39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
41. Flour, yeast & salt
42. Matches. {"Strike Anywhere" preferred.) Boxed, wooden matches will go first
43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
45. Workboots, belts, Levis & durable shirts
46. Flashlights/LIGHTSTICKS & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience; Historic Times)
48. Garbage cans Plastic (great for storage, water, transporting - if with wheels)
49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, etc
50. Cast iron cookware (sturdy, efficient)
51. Fishing supplies/tools
52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams
53. Duct Tape
54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
55. Candles
56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
58. Garden tools & supplies
59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
61. Bleach (plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% sodium hypochlorite)
62. Canning supplies, (Jars/lids/wax)
63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
67. Board Games, Cards, Dice
68. d-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & cockroach magnets
70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
71. Baby wipes, oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
75. Soysauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soupbase
76. Reading glasses
77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
78. "Survival-in-a-Can"
79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens
80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
81. Roll-on Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)
82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
85. Lumber (all types)
86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
89. Lantern Hangers
90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
91. Teas
92. Coffee
93. Cigarettes
94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
95. Paraffin wax
96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
97. Chewing gum/candies
98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs
100. Livestock

Copied form http://baconreport.blogspot.com/2007/07/top-100-items-to-disappear-first-during.html

SWATH
08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
I am for the first time contemplating buying a rifle or gun..:(

Now your cooking with gas. I would strongly reccomend a rifle, a pistol, plenty of ammo, and to know how to use them. Surplus WWI and WWII rifles are really cheap (we're talking $60-200), and they will pretty much never lose their value but instead steadily appreciate. Better do it anyway in case Paul doesn't win and whoever does bans them all.

BTW, ALL of the "front runners" are anti-gun

Aim Surplus has excellent prices, especially on surplus stuff, and customer service

This will get you started: http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Here are the surplus rifles: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Long_Guns.html

The more modern variety: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Long_Guns.html

Pistols: http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Handguns.html

jaybone
08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Gold, Silver, the means and will to protect what's yours.
I keep a few Euros and Swiss Francs around too.

dt_
08-16-2007, 05:39 PM
I suggest Pogs. :)

WannaBfree
08-16-2007, 06:13 PM
We also keep extra food (for others). If your neighbors are starving, you aren't very safe.

It doesn't have to be the good stuff, or expensive. You can feed a lot of people with some flour, oil and sugar (donuts or sugar tortillas). You can also get "feed corn" very cheaply and deep-fry yourself tons of corn nuts with it. I'd rather feed a guy than kill him. But we do also have our ammo just in case.

Man from La Mancha
08-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I like the idea of bullets for money sort of serves a dual purpose. How many 22's in change can I get for a 44?

MsDoodahs
08-16-2007, 07:19 PM
If you're in an area where something happens (natural disaster/attack of some sort), and you have provisions for your family but the gov't comes in and starts handing out supplies, you would be best off taking what they are offering because if you don't, it will send up a red flag that you actually are prepared. And they don't like that, they want you dependent on them.

MsDoodahs
08-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Real world experience, these are excellent reads with lots of great info. They detail what happened to folks post Katrina.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=153978

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=154894

:)

DAZ
08-16-2007, 09:26 PM
One of best, if not the best, source of food for long term storage:
www.efoodsdirect.com

Have you opened up any of this food and tried living off it for a week or two as a test?

MsDoodahs
08-16-2007, 09:29 PM
lol, that's exactly why I went and grabbed my list of shelf life for standard grocery store items.

JMO: store stuff your family likes and uses. Familiarity in extreme conditions is important; it helps keep the spirits up. :)

WannaBfree
08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Real world experience, these are excellent reads with lots of great info. They detail what happened to folks post Katrina.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=153978

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=154894

:)

great info - thanks!

save the constitution
08-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Ok all you hard money, survival folks. Lets say there's a strike against the US that disrupts/crashes the financial system, martial law is imposed, city infrastructure and support services are down. You are heading for the country to get off the grid and out of the city.

What's the best one "currency" to have?

The best currency to have in that case would be the Amero since the orchastrators of that attack signed the North American alliance for such a case in a post constitution northern continent unified country.

Here is some more info on the North American Union

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kjsy2Z3kdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65f3q_Lm9U

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/july2006/030706loudobbs.htm

DAZ
08-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Have you opened up any of this food and tried living off it for a week or two as a test?

Still curious. You aroud Syren?

BenIsForRon
08-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Lots of good info in this thread, I'm totally not prepared though. What do you guys think the chances are, in a severe depression with revolutions happening and people starving, that government would do something like releasing a virus or other biological attack to drastically reduce the population? That's why I would be worried about using government rations and other aid.

christagious
07-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Lots of good info in this thread, I'm totally not prepared though. What do you guys think the chances are, in a severe depression with revolutions happening and people starving, that government would do something like releasing a virus or other biological attack to drastically reduce the population? That's why I would be worried about using government rations and other aid.

I hear ya. Another thing that worries me about that scenario is this: I'm pretty much against vaccines, and I'm pretty sure my wife and I are going to stop giving our daughter those until she's at least two or three, if we even let her get them. Now if the gubment lets loose something, that's scary.

asgardshill
07-02-2008, 03:58 AM
I suggest Pogs. :)

Oh. My. God. I haven't heard a reference to those things (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogs) in 15 years. My brother had enough of them to fill the Grand Canyon.

Gideon
07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
You can have all of the above listed commodities, but if you don't have friends who can be trusted, you will lose it all.

If you live in the city, then you had best get to know your neighbors: the good and especially the bad.

Dieseler
07-03-2008, 11:12 AM
You can have all of the above listed commodities, but if you don't have friends who can be trusted, you will lose it all.

If you live in the city, then you had best get to know your neighbors: the good and especially the bad.

Thats what I'm screaming Gideon. Know you're neighbors and never ever trade guns or ammunition legal or not to anyone you don't know like a brother. That trade could backfire on you in a bad way.
There are some good examples of why not to do this in here.
http://www.giltweasel.com/stuff/LightsOut-Current.pdf