PDA

View Full Version : Mediaīs Deafening Silence and Ron Paulīs Candidacy

bobbyw24
03-04-2008, 06:03 AM
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/54052

Mediaīs Deafening Silence and Ron Paulīs Candidacy
Szandor Blestman

Szandor Blestman was born the 6th of 8 children to a high school English teacher and a certified financial planner. He attended the University of Illinois and earned a Bachelor's degree in Rhetoric in 1984 with minors in Math and Geology. He took some time off school to raise a family. He has five wonderful children, three of which have grown to adulthood. He achieved a Master's of Science in IT from the University of Maryland University College in Dec. 2004.

author's email

author's web site

view author's other articles

Join this author's mailing list

Your Name:

E-mail Address:

Szandor Blestman
March 03, 2008
For all the reporting theyīve done on him, youīd think Ron Paul didnīt exist. Heīs one of three candidates left in a Republican field that started with eleven, and yet youīd never know he was one of the last three survivors. If he was on American idol heīd be making headlines. Most everyone in America would know his name. People would be spending money on cell phone calls just to vote for him. Yet here he is running for the most important position in the world, one of three left who could possibly become the Republican presidential candidate, and so many still have no idea who Ron Paul is and what he stands for. So many people out there are just too lazy, just too dependent on the mainstream media to find out what their choices are. As a result, we all get the bottom of the barrel, the dregs of the political establishment, and so it is that corruption is so rampant in Washington DC.

Corruption is all over the news. The current crop of candidates for president is thick with it. We all know of the Clintonīs past. Many questions about Hillaryīs ethics remain unanswered or unasked. Barak Obamaīs career is also questionable. He may be young and he may give people hope, but already there are skeletons creeping out behind him and specters dancing in front of him that will not be scared back into the ethers by even the prettiest of words. John McCain has a long and illustrious career of scamming the public. Mike Huckabeeīs past is anything but exemplary. Lately heīs stolen Ron Paulīs call to rid us of the IRS, but he wants to implement an unfair "fair tax" that would steal as much or more of our hard earned money than the IRS ever did. All these candidates have little to worry about as their rich contributors are happy to make certain they never feel the pain of having to decide between paying the rent or buying food. Meanwhile, an honest, principled man who does have a verifiable record of supporting the ideals of liberty, smaller government and the constitution is battling to get his message of peace and hope out to an ailing nation and the mass media couldnīt care less. A candidate exists who has received millions in donations from common folks and more donations from regular military personnel than all the other candidates combined, and the mass media ignores him. They donīt want you or anyone else to hear what Ron Paul has to say. They donīt care about Ron Paul and they donīt care about common human beings. Theyīre happy to maintain hold on their old media, government sanctioned monopolies, and would hate to see an advocate of truly free markets re-introduce competition into their field and make them actually have to do work and become real news reporters again.

This fact alone should make people want to see Ron Paul win. He is the underdog to end all underdogs, and the people love an underdog. The old media is part of the establishment that Ron Paul is standing up to. They are owned by the same multi national corporations that own our government. The same people that have bought and paid for congressmen, senators and presidents pay for the news and entertainment coming from these media conglomerates. These days, the mass media is not the voice of reason set in place to keep watch over those who are supposed to serve the people. It is not the fourth estate it once was. The mass media no longer serves us as a thought provoking source of information offering objective news and critical commentary. The mass media has become a mouthpiece for the government. Those who control it tell you who will be the next president, and who will not be. They tell you what to think. They tell you a version of reality they want you to hear and believe. If youīve been listening to them, then you already know that they had picked Barak or Hillary long ago. It really didnīt matter to them which one. McCain was also picked long ago. Huckabee is also an establishment candidate thrown in there just to give a little twist and to make things seem interesting. Yet one might wonder if he isnīt in there just to give the media further reason to ignore Ron Paul and make sure his message is not as widely disseminated as it might be. If it was just Ron Paul and John McCain, theyīd have to cover him. Why hasnīt there been a Republican debate since Jan. 30th, while thereīs been two Democratic debates in February? That is the establishment trying to keep the only advocate for real change, Ron Paul, down.

If you are the establishment, then freedom is a dangerous message and truth is a powerful enemy. The rot goes deep in Washington DC, to the core, and everybody knows it. The people are upset with government millionaires mishandling their funds. Yet the mass media conglomerates continue to spew government propaganda. They continue to pretend that everything is as it should be. They continue to promote the establishment candidates and ignore those who make sense and those who would make a real difference. The mass media has no respect for the common American. They believe we are stupid. I donīt believe that. I have a great deal of respect for common Americans. We have achieved so much. Yet the mainstream media makes all seem hopeless. They promote these establishment politicians as if we havenīt another choice. They all want us common folk to believe we are helpless. But there are still many subtleties in politics that many arenīt aware of. The establishment may think that by hook or by crook they will have their candidates in place come September, but the world is full of surprises and the best laid plans of mice and men oft times go astray. And those who lead, those who would rule the world, are nothing more than men, whether they believe otherwise or not.

The mass mediaīs silence is deafening. When it comes to Ron Paul, they also hope to keep us blind and dumb as well. Still, I havenīt seen the fat lady up on stage. As a great American, Yogi Berra, someone who can be thought of as one of us common folk, once said "It ainīt over until itīs over." Itīs not over yet. Ron Paul aims to stay in this until the convention and I believe that no matter the outcome he and his supporters have already made an impact on this election and will continue to make an impact on political discourse in this country for years to come. And four years from now, when the 2012 elections roll around, the old media should play as insignificant a roll as the Internet played on the 2000 elections, that is if we can keep the government out of regulating the Internet until that time.

mountaineer
03-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Amen.

molly_pitcher
03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
bump

DAFTEK
03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
United Fascist of America!

This is the new America we live in, the MSM is a joke, and they get away with all of it and laugh at International news agencies as Not Free & Balanced as the American ones.

JS4Pat
03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Ron Paul and the incompetency of his national campaign staff must bear some of the responsibility for this.

Where are the Press Releases denouncing the front runner?
Why is he not being booked on national media outlets?

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Ron Paul and the incompetency of his national campaign staff must bear some of the responsibility for this.

Where are the Press Releases denouncing the front runner?
Why is he not being booked on national media outlets?

Hello? Is anyone in there? The lights are on, is anyone home? Did you read the OP?

The only things the MSM wants to hear from Ron Paul are anything they can use to ridicule him (like Kuchinich and UFOs) or that he is dropping out. Otherwise, he could release a dozen items an hour to the press and they would all be ignored. What part of this do you not understand?

VRP08
03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
What part of this do you not understand?

That's what I want to know:confused:

JS4Pat
03-04-2008, 09:42 AM
The only things the MSM wants to hear from Ron Paul are anything they can use to ridicule him (like Kuchinich and UFOs) or that he is dropping out. Otherwise, he could release a dozen items an hour to the press and they would all be ignored. What part of this do you not understand?
BS.

Yes, the media is not "fair" to our candidate and movement - but an aggressive and savy PR staff with the millions of dollars they have been entrusted with and the large numbers of rabid supporters nationwide CAN OVERCOME it or at least be more effective than what we have seen thus far.

Hell - I follow this campaign as close as anyone and even I get the feeling Ron Paul is not serious about the GOP nomination!

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 09:44 AM
We got him on Bill Moyers, Jay Leno and in most of the debates. Considering Dr. Paul is He Who Must Not Be Named in Rupert Murdoch's book, that ain't half bad at all.

JS4Pat
03-04-2008, 10:00 AM
We got him on Bill Moyers, Jay Leno and in most of the debates. Considering Dr. Paul is He Who Must Not Be Named in Rupert Murdoch's book, that ain't half bad at all.
Sorry – I totally disagree that what has been done by the national campaign in the way of media relations is “acceptable”.

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Sorry – I totally disagree that what has been done by the national campaign in the way of media relations is “acceptable”.

And I'm not saying you're completely wrong. You have a point. It probably could have been handled better. It would in any case, however, have been a steep uphill battle.

FSP-Rebel
03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
I think that if the campaign had used a good portion of the money for tv ads up front, that not only would the polls have been better as well as early primary numbers but everyone would've kept giving and the momentum wouldn't have slowed. The media wouldn't have changed no matter what though. Even if we were higher profile, the media would've nit-picked us to hell over the racist letters and any other negative thing they could find. But, at least people wouldn't be able to say RP was that unelectable. Well, I guess hindsight is always 20-20...

nbhadja
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Well you're wrong. The media would ignore the press releases. They even excluded him from poll results they showed on TV where he was in second and third place early on, just magically left him out.

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Well you're wrong. The media would ignore the press releases. They even excluded him from poll results they showed on TV where he was in second and third place early on, just magically left him out.

While talking about candidates that didn't do as well by name. QFT

amonasro
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
RP would have needed twice as much money as we gave him to hire a saavy political team and run ads in every state. Even then he still wouldn't have all the free media coverage the "frontrunners" got. Advertising is ultra expensive and this is a big country, in case you forgot.

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
A lot of the people here seem not to have any concept how large this nation is. It is amazing to me how far they think a dollar will go. It takes two days to drive from Alburquerque to Ypsilanti, and that's if you drive long and hard.

Hell, just Texas is daunting enough--Amarillo, Lubbock, El Paso, Brownsville, Corpus Christie, Austin, San Antonio, Waco, Paris, Wichita Falls, San Angelo, Galveston--notice I'm up to a dozen sizable cities and still haven't mentioned Dallas, Ft. Worth or Houston?

The MSM has serious power and knows it. All we can do is show people why they shouldn't trust it.

JS4Pat
03-04-2008, 01:02 PM
You folks can make excuses and apologies for the national campaign all you want -but the fact is they have run a GAWD-AWFUL national campaign!

Just look at those horrid TV advertisements that they paid good money for in New Hampshire! We had creative and competent volunteers all over this country who would have made 100 times better ads at a fraction of the cost.

The national campaign not only failed to think outside the box - I honestly question whether or not they even understood what the Box was.

It's a shame - all the ingredients were there to take on the MSM and the establishment except LEADERSHIP at the top.

HollyforRP
03-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Huckabee doesn't have as much money and he still gets his name shown on the screen behind MCcain of course but no Ron Paul anywhere.

When Ron Paul raised alot of money, I've seen news stories about how money isn't really what's going to win this race.

Ron Paul didn't have many myspace friends (not as many as Obama who had 2 years of help from someone he ended up pissing off by taking his Obama myspace away from him...Eminent Domain??)

Obama's myspace friends were reported by the media and they made a big deal about it. Ron Paul ended up making alot of friends and suddenly that doesn't matter anymore.

Basically, ANYTHING Ron Paul has went up against with help from his supporters suddenly, the news deemed it as "That isn't what's going to win this election"

What they have shown though, what REALLY is going to win this election is who is the biggest panderer to Israel's wishes and who will promise to keep up with the plans.

If the candidate can bullshit with people and charm them into submission, that is a plus.

Media does not like free thinkers. They want us to repeat everything that they say because it strokes their ego to know that they have such control over people meanwhile people deny it which keeps the control going.

Just a reminder that media purposely does this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZNlXSn_vC8

newbitech
03-04-2008, 01:35 PM
the national campaign would not have been able to help Dr. Paul at the debates with questions like,

"So basically you are saying we should take our marching orders from Al Kduh"
"A question about elect-ability, do you have any?"
"Are you running for the right party's nomination?"
"Will you ask your supporters to stop supporting you cause we don't like them questioning 9/11"

should I go on?

The best campaign staff would not have done squat to get national GOP to recognize Dr. Paul as a part of the party.

The best campaign staff would not have been able to stop Mitt Romney from forging the FL Straw Poll where people apparently voted and were not there.

That being said, the official Ron Paul campaign could have been more in tune with the grassroots, and they certainly could have moved much faster in states like FL and MI where the Dem vote in the primary didn't matter. These were two huge states that I felt went ignored when it came to GOTV. Of course, after the Iowa and N.H. debacles, i fear the official campaign lost much momentum and began relying on grassroots way too much.

Regardless, a stronger campaign staff could have at best doubled our poll numbers and thats with the consideration that they would have some sources in the old media that would be willing to buck their employers.

acptulsa
03-04-2008, 01:36 PM
I haven't seen a brilliant campaign from any presidential candidate this year. None of them have been brilliant, seamless, well-oiled machines. Not one. I don't think I ever saw one in my lifetime, and if I did it was Nixon '72.

Yeah, they coulda done better. We coulda done better. Ron coulda been 6'2" had the face of Rock Hudson and a sense of humor.

Long and the short of it is, the MSM painted him as hopeless and us as nut cases, and even though we went a long way toward disproving that and won a lot of people over, it wasn't enough or quick enough. Except that it ain't over, McCain may very well not win the nomination (he sure won't do it today), there's plenty of time for people to think about the MSM's treatment of them between here and September, and the economy is going down the tubes. So maybe it is quick enough. We won't know until it's actually over.

Meanwhile, oh well. Right now, I'm one of many who doesn't care what we've failed to do. There'll be time for that later. This is the time to keep on keeping on.

Grandson of Liberty
03-04-2008, 01:50 PM
bump for finding this later. :)

JS4Pat
03-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Regardless, a stronger campaign staff could have at best doubled our poll numbers and thats with the consideration that they would have some sources in the old media that would be willing to buck their employers.
That I could have lived with. Then I could have focused all my anger at the MSM rather than having to constantly point out - "why the hell isn't the campaign..."

newbitech
03-04-2008, 02:00 PM
That I could have lived with. Then I could have focused all my anger at the MSM rather than having to constantly point out - "why the hell isn't the campaign..."

I know what you mean. just remember, Dr. Paul has inspired us as Americans to take OUR country back. WE the PEOPLE are the only ones who will make the difference. WE the PEOPLE need to be able to overcome anything, including the short comings of the official campaign. After all, it is the power of a few that has got us in to this mess. What makes anyone think the power of a few can get us out?

I think Dr. Paul would say that if we makes a mistake, we need to correct the mistake, not keep doing the same mistake. Think Iraq and the FED. In a lot of ways, it is a good thing that Dr. Paul stuck with his trusted staff rather than going out and hiring the big wigs.

The failure of the campaign only highlights the success of We the People and should be a clear message to all of US that have our eyes opened that we need more than a group of select people to effect change.

I can live with nothing less than what the Constitution protects. 15% polls would still lose the nomination. We'd still have just as much work to do, and then the media would still exclude Dr. Paul, his message, and his supporters.

JS4Pat
03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
I know what you mean. just remember, Dr. Paul has inspired us as Americans to take OUR country back. WE the PEOPLE are the only ones who will make the difference. WE the PEOPLE need to be able to overcome anything, including the short comings of the official campaign. After all, it is the power of a few that has got us in to this mess. What makes anyone think the power of a few can get us out?.

I'm with you...

I think Dr. Paul would say that if we makes a mistake, we need to correct the mistake, not keep doing the same mistake. Think Iraq and the FED. In a lot of ways, it is a good thing that Dr. Paul stuck with his trusted staff rather than going out and hiring the big wigs.

The failure of the campaign only highlights the success of We the People and should be a clear message to all of US that have our eyes opened that we need more than a group of select people to effect change.

I can live with nothing less than what the Constitution protects. 15% polls would still lose the nomination. We'd still have just as much work to do, and then the media would still exclude Dr. Paul, his message, and his supporters.
I somewhat agree with you here - but I don't think we should overlook the importance of good competent leadership and effective communication in the top levels of a presidential campaign.

It is missing and it has been killing this campaign!

We need to learn from this!

newbitech
03-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm with you...

I somewhat agree with you here - but I don't think we should overlook the importance of good competent leadership and effective communication in the top levels of a presidential campaign.

It is missing and it has been killing this campaign!

We need to learn from this!

I agree, one of the big lessons is that we need good competent leadership as well as effective communication.

I think we are getting the effective communication part down pretty well. Although the disconnect between the grassroots and the official campaign highlight some of the challenges of giving a voice to the non politically connected people. There are laws that the campaign had to deal with regarding the grassroots and I think we need to take a look at that in more detail for future campaigns.

I don't know about you but my eyes are stuck open now. I know what to look for, the signs and signals of the movement. It is still growing and spreading rapidly. We don't see the fruits yet, and we may not for some years. Some of the supporters may never see the fruits.

They are there. Its only the beginning and I can tell you that more and more people I talk to casually speaking without even mentioning Dr. Paul are talking about the freedom message. Even more compelling is the number of people I know who have chose to disassociate from the old media by getting rid of TV's, cable boxes, and satellite hookups.

The old media is still entrenched and it is extremely important to understand how the major significance that mass propaganda has in controlling our political process. If we are going to win the fight, the old media needs to be dissolved. This mean exposing the people pulling the strings on the inside. This won't be easy and I can guarantee you that the campaign has done its part to expose this powerful force that shapes the opinions of our fellow Americans. I give much credit to the official campaign for not wavering and for taking on the old media the way they did and are still doing.