PDA

View Full Version : HUGE Rally - DC or Philly?

Sematary
08-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Let's get a vote and see what people think. Give all the good and bad reasons for each then when we know, I'll make the necessary calls to get the ball rolling.

DC would be good but in the hoopla of that city the rally will get swallowed up if it doesn't bring in 50 to 100,000 people.

Philly has the Liberty Bell and would probably be easier to get permits for. Also, smaller numbers than we'd be hoping for but still substantial would still make good news print.

Shink
08-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Philly. Hometown hero. It'd make great news, especially if you could get Dr. Paul to speak AT the Liberty Bell and tell them what liberty means to him and what it'd mean for the country under his guidance. Sounds awesome. Besides, I can't think of anything in D.C. that is an actual symbol of FREEDOM.

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Make it DC and I'll be there.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Make it DC and I'll be there.

What's the matter with Philly? It's not that far away and would probably be easier to schedule and is more centralized for people on the east coast and in the midwest.

AMack
08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
I voted Philly simply in self-interest (I can get there easier).

But, as long as its not on a weekday, I may be there regardless of which it is held at.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I voted Philly simply in self-interest (I can get there easier).

But, as long as its not on a weekday, I may be there regardless of which it is held at.

We are looking at Sunday the 11th (Holiday) with Monday being an off day for most people. :-)

I think it's more centralized location on the east coast would make it easier for people down south, a little longer a drive from up north and definitely more centralized for people in places like Ohio, Iowa, etc...

angelatc
08-16-2007, 01:49 PM
I voted for DC so I can do the tourist thing while I'm there.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 01:51 PM
I voted for DC so I can do the tourist thing while I'm there.

You can do the tourist thing in Philly, as well.
I'm thinking about it from a pure logistics standpoint and I think Philly would be easier.

Hurricane Bruiser
08-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I like the symbolism of the Liberty Bell and nothing in Washington stands for Liberty anymore.

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
What's the matter with Philly?

Where should I start? ;)

But seriously...

It's not that far away and would probably be easier to schedule and is more centralized for people on the east coast and in the midwest.

Uh...
http://209.200.115.6/admin/imageLibrary/public/thumb_Map_East%20Coast.jpg

DC is more centralized than Philly, and all roads lead to Rome. Plus I just think that a rally in the heart of the nation's capital would draw more people. A rally in Philadelphia would be seen as a local thing. A rally in DC would be a national draw.

And purely out of self-interest, I'd have plenty of places to stay in DC, while I'm not sure I could afford a trip to Philadelphia at the moment.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Where should I start? ;)

But seriously...

Uh...
http://209.200.115.6/admin/imageLibrary/public/thumb_Map_East%20Coast.jpg

DC is more centralized than Philly, and all roads lead to Rome. Plus I just think that a rally in the heart of the nation's capital would draw more people. A rally in Philadelphia would be seen as a local thing. A rally in DC would be a national draw.

And purely out of self-interest, I'd have plenty of places to stay in DC, while I'm not sure I could afford a trip to Philadelphia at the moment.

You make some excellent arguments.

robatsu
08-16-2007, 01:57 PM
I agree with the sentiment that DC would be more of a national draw. Not to dis all the wonderful things in Philly and the symbolism, but I think DC would draw more people and be a little more in your face to the our ruling betters.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree with the sentiment that DC would be more of a national draw. Not to dis all the wonderful things in Philly and the symbolism, but I think DC would draw more people and be a little more in your face to the our ruling betters.

So far it appears that the vote is more or less divided. So, if it continues that way, we would need people IN DC who could go through the whole permit process.
Also, we would need to name the rally so that it attracts more than just Ron Paul supporters. I'm thinking something simple: Freedom Rally 07
Has a nice ring to it. ;-)

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 02:04 PM
In case the rally is not huge, you can make it look really big in front of Independence Hall or somewhere else along Independence Mall in Philly.

Also, 40% of the U.S. population lives in the Northeast corridor and Philly is smack in the middle. Easy 2 hour trip for people in Washington/Baltimore and New York City, and not bad from Boston/New England and Pittsburgh, as well as northern states in the south and eastern mid-west states. Also a good Amtrak hub with several minute local train ride right to Independence Mall from 30th Street station.

Also, Philly is the 4th largest television market in the U.S. and ahead of Washington/Baltimore as far as local television coverage goes. If the rally is big enough, I would expect it to get national coverage regardless of D.C. or Philly.

As for influencing vote in said city, Philly is highly Democratic and Washington is going to be for the bigtime candidates, so that is a wash - unless we can convert Philly Democrats. Expect a lot of tourists from out of state in either Philly or D.C. historic location chosen.

As for influencing other votes, nearby from Philly NJ is highly Democratic BUT the entire state of Pennsylvania outside Philly is HIGHLY Republican/pro gun/pro life and the state has a lot of delegates. Not sure how Virginia and Maryland lean in the D.C. area.

McDermit
08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
In case the rally is not huge, you can make it look really big in front of Independence Hall or somewhere else along Independence Mall in Philly.

Also, 40% of the U.S. population lives in the Northeast corridor and Philly is smack in the middle. Easy 2 hour trip for people in Washington/Baltimore and New York City, and not bad from Boston/New England and Pittsburgh, as well as northern states in the south and eastern mid-west states. Also a good Amtrak hub with several minute local train ride right to Independence Mall from 30th Street station.

Also, Philly is the 4th largest television market in the U.S. and ahead of Washington/Baltimore as far as local television coverage goes. If the rally is big enough, I would expect it to get national coverage regardless of D.C. or Philly.

As for influencing vote in said city, Philly is highly Democratic and Washington is going to be for the bigtime candidates, so that is a wash - unless we can convert Philly Democrats. Expect a lot of tourists from out of state in either Philly or D.C. historic location chosen.

As for influencing other votes, nearby from Philly NJ is highly Democratic BUT the entire state of Pennsylvania outside Philly is HIGHLY Republican/pro gun/pro life and the state has a lot of delegates. Not sure how Virginia and Maryland lean in the D.C. area.
All excellent points. I'm 100% for Philly.

The prospect of a rally in DC didn't even get me to raise an eyebrow. I likely wouldn't attend. DC has rallies alllllll the time. My old highschool used to take 3 bus trips a year to DC for rallies. A small rally in DC won't make headlines, unless it's being made fun of. A large rally will get press for a day, and then will quickly be forgotten. Can you name the last 3 big rallies in DC? I can't, and I spend about 10% my time there.

A rally for freedom, gathering at Independence Hall or someplace similar, will make a more lasting impression. Even if on the small side, it will make headlines. And people in the city will remember it. The same can't be said of DC.

McDermit
08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
The only downside about Philly is that if the wind blows the wrong direction, you might get a whiff of that fresh Jersey air. lol.

danda
08-16-2007, 02:58 PM
I thought this had already been settled in the other thread, in favor of Philly...

...For the obvious reason that GIANT marches are routinely ignored by the media in DC because they are commonplace.

Admittedly, this is hearsay on my part, but it makes logical sense to me.

I think that so long as the rationale for Philly location is explained to people in the official announcement(s), they will get it, and get on board.

Just speaking for myself, I think that DC would largely be a waste of time, and I would not be inclined to promote it much.

If it does go that direction though, I hope that I'm wrong on this one, and that it turns out really great.

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 03:05 PM
The prospect of a rally in DC didn't even get me to raise an eyebrow. I likely wouldn't attend.

Just speaking for myself, I'd be unlikely to go to Philly. Either way, there are going to be people sitting it out.

I think the point that a small rally will look bigger in Philadelphia is valid, though. I also think that a rally in Philadelphia will be smaller, but that's just a feeling I have.

austin356
08-16-2007, 03:22 PM
DC = NOVA, MD supports

Philly = MD, PA, NJ, NY supporters

We are talking about a easy draw of 3-4 times that of DC, because of its central location in the Megalopolis

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
The last big rally I can remember in Philly was over 15 years ago when Howard Stern made Philly his second market (before he went nationwide) and he had a mock funeral for Philly radio shock jock John DeBella when Stern became #1 in Philly.

Stern had a couple thousand show up at Independence Mall and it was the biggest story on all the major TV stations and on the front page of the two major papers - and this is the 4th largest TV market in the nation. Heck, it's been 20 years since a Philly team won a major sports crown and those parades used to attract over 1 million. Philly is starving for atttention in regards to a big rally - and you have over 8 million people in the major metro area.

As was said - D.C. sees rallies all the time. This would be huge news in Philly even if you only got a couple thousand.

Also, realize that local TV news coverage is key for making great YouTube videos.

Latest Gallop poll had RP at 3% in Pennsylania which is better than most every state. I bet we can get a lot of the core Republican central PA crowd to drive and hour or two, as well as all those from the surrounding major markets and states already mentioned. They just had a big rally in the state capital with over a thousand showing because the state legislature gave themselves a pay raise. The core Republicans in PA are middle to lower middle class fiscal conservatives who are pro-gun and pro-life.

The Philly TV stations would eat this up. Two have their station HQ's right next to Independence Mall and the rest will show. They were all over Bush when he campaigned at Independence Hall last election. I was there and I would put the crowd at only 400 or so.

If RP were to show himself, those on the fence will come to see our man.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
We DON'T really have a choice do we? The DC police require 120 days notice on something like this. It has to be Philly.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 03:33 PM

San Francisco Bay Area is the 4th largest tv market as far as I know.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I thought this had already been settled in the other thread, in favor of Philly...

...For the obvious reason that GIANT marches are routinely ignored by the media in DC because they are commonplace.

Admittedly, this is hearsay on my part, but it makes logical sense to me.

I think that so long as the rationale for Philly location is explained to people in the official announcement(s), they will get it, and get on board.

Just speaking for myself, I think that DC would largely be a waste of time, and I would not be inclined to promote it much.

If it does go that direction though, I hope that I'm wrong on this one, and that it turns out really great.

That's why I started this thread though. Get all the pro's and cons out of the way and make a decision.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 03:35 PM
We DON'T really have a choice do we? The DC police require 120 days notice on something like this. It has to be Philly.

Didn't know that. Good call. Of course, if DC were the winner we could schedule it a month later but I'd rather not.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Didn't know that. Good call. Of course, if DC were the winner we could schedule it a month later but I'd rather not.

We can do DC next spring or summer when he gets the nomination.

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 03:37 PM
DC = NOVA, MD supports
Philly = MD, PA, NJ, NY supporters

I don't see that as accurate in any way.

Heck, we've already seen people from as far away as Indiana say in this very thread that DC would draw them for reasons aside from the rally.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 03:39 PM
MrChubbs posted this earlier in the other thread:

Well it seems DC should be ruled out.

From the DC Metro Police web site:
http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1241,q,548278.asp
---------------------------
What is required to hold a special event?

As an event planner, you are required to meet with the Special Events Task Group at least 60 days prior to your proposed event. Due to the large number of events held in Washington, DC, and the District's extensive regulations that govern event planning, you should contact the Task Force at least 120 days in advance of an event. For parades, demonstrations, and other permits controlled by the Metropolitan Police Department, you can initiate this notification by completing the appropriate forms (see below) and mailing them to the MPDC's Special Operations Division. Contact the DCEMA at (202) 727-3165.

At the Task Force meeting, you will be required to produce 12 copies of your plan of action and make a presentation covering the event.

inibo
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
We are looking at Sunday the 11th (Holiday) with Monday being an off day for most people. :-)

I think it's more centralized location on the east coast would make it easier for people down south, a little longer a drive from up north and definitely more centralized for people in places like Ohio, Iowa, etc...

Perhaps I missed something, but the 11th of what?

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
November-Veteran's Day

I wanted to add that the Independence Park Web site said they require a detailed proposal but they will make a decision on it in 3 days so less bureaucracy than DC as well.

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
San Francisco Bay Area is the 4th largest tv market as far as I know.

S.F 5th, D.C. 8th, Philly 4th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_America_by_me dia_market

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
In terms of population it is the 4th largest metro area though.

You made a lot of good arguments for Philly by the way. It's good to hear the perspective of someone who is there.

Sematary
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
November-Veteran's Day

I wanted to add that the Independence Park Web site said they require a detailed proposal but they will make a decision on it in 3 days so less bureaucracy than DC as well.

It looks like it will have to be Philly, anyway, unless the Independence Mall isn't suitable for our needs. I've already emailed the special events office to get information.

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 03:52 PM
The Northeast Corridor has 40% of the U.S. population.

"The busiest part of the Northeast Corridor is the segment between Philadelphia and New York City."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeast_Corridor

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
In terms of population it is the 4th largest metro area though.

You made a lot of good arguments for Philly by the way. It's good to hear the perspective of someone who is there.

Also TV. You missed this post:

S.F 5th, D.C. 8th, Philly 4th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...media_market

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
The Northeast Corridor has 40% of the U.S. population.

"The busiest part of the Northeast Corridor is the segment between Philadelphia and New York City."

That doesn't mean that 40% of Ron Paul supporters are there, nor does that in any way guarantee that people outside that area would be willing to travel there for a rally.

Anyway, it looks like you guys have already settled on Philadelphia. :)

robatsu
08-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Me, I'd prefer DC, but I guess I'll see y'all in Philly. Give my kid a liberty tour.

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 04:16 PM
That doesn't mean that 40% of Ron Paul supporters are there, nor does that in any way guarantee that people outside that area would be willing to travel there for a rally.

Anyway, it looks like you guys have already settled on Philadelphia. :)

I think Philly is the better market for media exposure and centralized location, but more may be willing to go to D.C. for tourist reasons (though Philly is now the most popular U.S. tourist destination for Europeans due to its history, culture and central location to NYC/D.C.).

However, if we can get RP to show, I think his supporters will come regardless of D.C. or Philly.

A little tourist info on Philly. Great culture, great restaurants, great night life. Want to go shopping? Philly has the largest inner city mall in the U.S. and out near Valley Forge the King of Prussia Mall is bigger than the Mall of America in retail space.

http://www.usatourist.com/english/places/pennsylvania/philadelphia.html

austin356
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't see that as accurate in any way.

Heck, we've already seen people from as far away as Indiana say in this very thread that DC would draw them for reasons aside from the rally.

Show me where more than one family wants to come to DC from Indiana please..... What people on this forum say they will do is in no way representative of the average supporter. These are hardcore Paul 24/7 people, not your average supporter who is the ultra vast majority.

We are talking about trying to get thousands of people, you are not going to even get hundreds of people from more than 2 possibly 3 hours away.

Philly has 46 MILLION people within 200 miles of Downtown.

DC has less absolutely nowhere near that.

PennCustom4RP
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
I say Philadelphia, this is where it all began.
Independence Hall, Independence Mall, Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House etc etc.
I am sure the security in DC is a bear.
People ride the train every day between DC and Philly, NYC and Philly too, so getting there isn't an issue if you live along that corridor, even those from Boston are only a few hours train ride away.

Also someone local contact Pierre Robert, at WMMR 93.3 FM radio, no doubt he would plug this event.

Spirit of 76, your radius map would look essentially the same if centered at Philly, distance between the 2 towns is 138mi.

tmg19103
08-16-2007, 04:28 PM
I think Philly is the better market for media exposure and centralized location, but more may be willing to go to D.C. for tourist reasons (though Philly is now the most popular U.S. tourist destination for Europeans due to its history, culture and central location to NYC/D.C.).

However, if we can get RP to show, I think his supporters will come regardless of D.C. or Philly.

A little tourist info on Philly. Great culture, great restaurants, great night life. Want to go shopping? Philly has the largest inner city mall in the U.S. and out near Valley Forge the King of Prussia Mall is bigger than the Mall of America in retail space.

http://www.usatourist.com/english/places/pennsylvania/philadelphia.html

I also got a kick out of this quote from the usatourist link:

"The U.S. Mint, also located on the Mall, produces between 11 to 20 million coins annually and holds the nation’s $100 billion worth of gold and silver assets."

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Your assertion was that DC would only draw people from NOVA and Maryland. I still don't think that is accurate in any way.

I'm not from NOVA or Maryland, and I'd go to DC for a rally. I doubt I'll be heading to Philadelphia again any time soon, though.

But whatever... I have nothing invested in this.

How 'bout you? You heading up to Philly from Alabam'? :)

austin356
08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
How 'bout you? You heading up to Philly from Alabam'? :)

I had a member of my meetup at the Pittsburgh rally! I would like to go if I can find a cheap ticket.

Bluedevil
08-16-2007, 04:41 PM
why not both?

constituent
08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
see you at the liberty bell!

Spirit of '76
08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I had a member of my meetup Pittsburgh rally! I would like to go if I can find a cheap ticket.

Hardcore. :D

PennCustom4RP
08-16-2007, 04:52 PM
why not both?

There ya go!
Have the rally in Philly, then everyone get on the train to DC, what a scene that would be, and converting the other passengers along the way!

wgadget
08-16-2007, 07:05 PM
As a Georgia Paulite, I'd rather go to Philadelphia than DC. Philly is such a good symbol for freedom and probably not so congested, traffic-wise.

I'm sure I couldn't go to either one, so it's just my two cents.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 08:16 PM
It seems that those voicing support of Philly have reasons that are related to Ron Paul while those voicing support for DC have personal reasons. I probably won't go to either but we have to remember that Ron Paul is really the odd man out in Washington. In Philly he will be in an environment steeped in historical and symbolic precedent for his views and policies. It just sends a lot more powerful, consistent and legitimized message. It will remind people that his ideas are not radical but they are the foundation of our country. Washington DC has a lot more negative connotations in the minds of Americans and you go there for a protest if you want to convince Congress or the President to do something but not really as relevant for a political campaign. Everyone knows that Ron Paul's goal is Washington, but what sets him apart is the freedom and Constitutional message-and only Philly fits that bill.

trispear
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I like Philadelphia because that is where the Constitutional Conventions were held, where the Declaration of Independence was signed - our two most important documents. Very symbolic.

Washington D.C. only symbolizes the establishment and powergrab AFAI am concerned.

(Or you could do an East Coast sweep, start in Boston and move South. Would be a cool way to gain momentum - like a Ron Paul tour or something.

jmarinara
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
I like Philadelphia because that is where the Constitutional Conventions were held, where the Declaration of Independence was signed - our two most important documents. Very symbolic.

Washington D.C. only symbolizes the establishment and powergrab AFAI am concerned.

(Or you could do an East Coast sweep, start in Boston and move South. Would be a cool way to gain momentum - like a Ron Paul tour or something.

Except that we're trying to put Paul in the Whitehouse, which is in DC. I'm voting DC, but I think Philly would be just fine.

Do we have a date yet? I want to take time off and try to go.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 08:26 PM

I've got an idea-The Boston Tea Party took place on Dec. 16. We could do another event on that date in Boston. The Boston Tea Party for Ron Paul. It's a way to focus on Ron Paul's tax message.

I just think we need to focus effort on one place at a time to make sure we do an event that sends a strong and consistent message.

Nefertiti
08-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Except that we're trying to put Paul in the Whitehouse, which is in DC. I'm voting DC, but I think Philly would be just fine.

But so are all the other 20 or so candidates trying to get to the White House. We need to distinguish RP from the rest.

RP08
08-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I think DC is a better (impact) venue, but both are great.

I just wish there was a similar event closer to the middle of the US, so more people can feasibly participate.

Granted, there is a higher population in the NE than SW and elsewhere, but we know there are an awful lot of us who can't drive 3 days or afford a coast-to-coast plane ticket.

just my humble $0.02 (worth $0.0008 by today's standards, if I got the math right)

ronpaulhawaii
08-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Philly seems a much better choice for the reasons already stated. Then we could save the REALLY HUGE MARCH on DC for the general election

my2¢

jmarinara
08-16-2007, 08:53 PM
I also got a kick out of this quote from the usatourist link:

"The U.S. Mint, also located on the Mall, produces between 11 to 20 million coins annually and holds the nation’s $100 billion worth of gold and silver assets."

Priceless :)

Kinda like the Fed Reserve Dollar. . . . . :p

jmarinara
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
But so are all the other 20 or so candidates trying to get to the White House. We need to distinguish RP from the rest.

Now that is a good point.

specsaregood
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
//

Eric21ND
08-17-2007, 01:15 AM
I voted for Philly since it makes more sense for numerous reasons. I also think it'd be a bigger draw than DC and probably a lot more passionate crowd as well.

November 11th - Veteran's Day seems like a very appropriate day indeed.

Spirit of '76
08-17-2007, 01:19 AM
I voted for Philly since it makes more sense for numerous reasons.

Such as?

I also think it'd be a bigger draw than DC and probably a lot more passionate crowd as well.

Why?

November 11th - Veteran's Day seems like a very appropriate day indeed.

Yep. Also a day when a lot of people will be in DC, many of them thinking about their friends and loved ones they've lost because of war...

PennCustom4RP
08-17-2007, 02:00 AM
South Jersey doesn't smell bad. And evidently you haven't been to D.C. I was just there for the first time 2 weeks ago and the entire city smells like a urinal. Our nations capital is quite a bit of a letdown; it is an embarrassment.

Well with all the shit coming out of that town, what did you expect?

Philadelphia was the Capital of the US for 10 years before DC was.

Does anyone know if a Veterans Day Parade or other Official observance is scheduled in either city?

Man from La Mancha
08-17-2007, 03:11 AM
why not both?

Agreed the people coming south go to DC and the people coming north go to Phillie. Who cares about a 120 day notice at DC they get tourists all the time and anybody can carry a sign or a t shirt and shout Ron Paul.

V-rod
08-17-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm thinking something simple: Freedom Rally 07
Has a nice ring to it. ;-)

The word freedom has been stained by the neocons these last few years. How about calling it, Rally for Liberty '07

Sematary
08-17-2007, 08:04 AM
I just got an email response from Philly. The maximum number of people allowed is 5000 at the Independence Mall (where the liberty bell is).

I think, based on the numbers we'd like to see, that Philly is too small and logistically speaking, getting a march in Washington before the primaries could be difficult, to say the least.
I am going to be starting a second full time job in a couple of weeks to pay the bills my tenants won't (their rents) so I'm not going to have the kind of time necessary to devote to this endeavor that it requires.
We need 120 days notice to get a march/rally in DC. If this "someone" were to begin today the earliest we could get into DC would be at the mid/end of December and I have a feeling that getting a solid turnout during the holidays could be a real trick. Iowa may have already had their caucus by then, as well.

thoughts? suggestions?

ronpaulhawaii
08-17-2007, 08:27 AM
I think a 5000 px rally in Philly would work. And an overflow of supporters would be better.

"Wow, we only planned on a few thousand. I guess the messege of liberty is popular outside of our group, also. Isn't it amazing" <wink wink nudge nudge>

I still think the logistics of a DC march will make it prone to embarrassing failure. I will ask again; How many OoS supporters heeded HQ's "urgent" call for support in Iowa? How long did it take for the christian fathers to organize their huge rally?

If you want a truly huge march in DC, you will need;

Us
GOA
Anti-War
Pro-Life
etc?

orgs to join in. IMHO

I feel this will be easier to accomplish by spring/summer.

A huge philly rally will help win the nomination more than a semi huge (for DC) rally in DC.

my2¢

constituent
08-17-2007, 09:18 AM
how about a flash mob at the liberty bell?

i'm serious about this... plus i'll take my wife and daughter to philly, but not d.c. b/c if we're going to drive from texas, i'd rather see all those good spots like the Norman Rockwell museum, constitution hall (isn't that what it's called?), and the Benjamin Franklin museum... that's just me though.

we'd drive for philly, but not d.c.

Sematary
08-17-2007, 10:26 AM
bump

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I voted DC because it's an easier drive from Charlotte, plus my wife and I are going to be in Raleigh on the 10th (State vs. UNC football), and going up to DC after the game would be relatively easy.

I could probably do Philly as well, but it would just be a lot easier in DC for us. (Stay and park outside the city and take the Metro in. Not sure how doable that is in Philly.)

ronpaulhawaii
08-17-2007, 10:27 PM
bump

Devil_rules_in_extremes
08-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I voted D.C. because hey, it's the nations capitol. It's where the Federal government lives and breaths...

I say let's take the Revolution to D.C.

McDermit
08-17-2007, 11:11 PM
I just got an email response from Philly. The maximum number of people allowed is 5000 at the Independence Mall (where the liberty bell is).

I think, based on the numbers we'd like to see, that Philly is too small and logistically speaking, getting a march in Washington before the primaries could be difficult, to say the least.
I am going to be starting a second full time job in a couple of weeks to pay the bills my tenants won't (their rents) so I'm not going to have the kind of time necessary to devote to this endeavor that it requires.
We need 120 days notice to get a march/rally in DC. If this "someone" were to begin today the earliest we could get into DC would be at the mid/end of December and I have a feeling that getting a solid turnout during the holidays could be a real trick. Iowa may have already had their caucus by then, as well.

thoughts? suggestions?
I think it makes Philly even more appealing.

If more people do show up than "expected," it's just more attention for RP. In DC, 5,000 will hardly make impression. In Philly, 5000 is over capacity and will look like an enourmous crowd.

As many have mentioned, the impact of any sized rally we can pull off in DC will not be very impressive. Philly is a different story. And RP's message would be more at home in Philly (in terms of local coverage/history) anyway. You'll have the hometown hero aspect as well, since RP was born in PA. DC, for the most part, doesn't want him. The coverage there won't compare to what you could get in Philly.

In DC, we're just one more group of quacks marching on the capitol. In Philly, we're lovers of freedom fighting to return the country to it's roots.

It's a great idea. Don't be so quick to give up on it.

slantedview
08-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Philly. Hometown hero. It'd make great news, especially if you could get Dr. Paul to speak AT the Liberty Bell and tell them what liberty means to him and what it'd mean for the country under his guidance. Sounds awesome. Besides, I can't think of anything in D.C. that is an actual symbol of FREEDOM.

wow, good idea. philly, of course, has historical significance (which i'm sure is lost on most americans, but maybe dr. paul can utilize it)

noxagol
08-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Screw the liberty bell, do it right in front of the building where the Constitution was forged.

McDermit
08-17-2007, 11:17 PM
wow, good idea. philly, of course, has historical significance (which i'm sure is lost on most americans, but maybe dr. paul can utilize it)
It may be lost on most Americans, but not on Philadelphians.

A march for freedom, or whatever it gets tagged as, on independence hall should definitely send the message home. If we can get RP to show for a speech, even better.

slantedview
08-17-2007, 11:18 PM
It may be lost on most Americans, but not on Philadelphians.

A march for freedom, or whatever it gets tagged as, on independence hall should definitely send the message home. If we can get RP to show for a speech, even better.
It really does sound great, but so does striking deep into the heart of the nation's (current) capital, DC.

OP: How about two marches, maybe a month or so apart? One at DC, one in Philly? They both sound too good to not hit up. I would do Philly first, then DC.

McDermit
08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
It really does sound great, but so does striking deep into the heart of the nation's (current) capital, DC.

OP: How about two marches, maybe a month or so apart? One at DC, one in Philly? They both sound too good to not hit up. I would do Philly first, then DC.

It was suggested that we do a DC march after the primaries. By then, we'll have more support, etc.

tmg19103
08-17-2007, 11:28 PM
The way Indepence Mall is set up, 5,000 would look like 100,000 in D.C.

Plus, it is just waste height barriers that separate the Mall from the surrounding streets. If we got more than 5,000 and had a couple thousand more waving signs outside the low barriers it would look awesome. That way we can even play it as tens of thousands.

You get 5k into Independence Mall and it will be the biggest news item in Philly in a long time. It would get bigtime media/TV exposure.

And in the unlikely event only 2 or 3K show, it will still look big and get a lot of exposure.

5 or even 10k in D.C. is a non-story.

So, who is running with this? I am in Philly now, but unfortunately in New England for Sept and Oct on business, but I can get things going over the next two weeks. Just leave me with who has been contacted so far. Also, have Philly MeetUps been contacted? I can do so and we can get a full-time person or three to handle from there.

McDermit
08-17-2007, 11:31 PM
I'm all excited picturing Ron Paul giving a speech on the steps on Independence Hall... with a crowd of RP shirts and signs packed like sardines listening to him.

http://www.theconstitutional.com/img/cw-july406-01.jpg
^ That was under 500 people. 5000... you couldn't even capture them all in a still frame unless you took the pic from an aerial view. Headlines!

tmg19103
08-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Also realize that Philly has more colleges and universities than just about any other city in the country and they should be marketed for this event.

Scroll down this link. Temple, LaSalle, Drexel and Penn are a hop and skip from Indepedence Mall with over 60,000 students between them.

http://philadelphia.about.com/od/colleges/Philadelphia_Area_Elementary_High_Schools_and_Coll eges.htm

Sematary
08-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Ok - so Philly it is. Does anyone want to take the ball and run with it?
I'm about to get my second job just so I can pay my bills - not a good scenario for running something of this sort but I can schedule it if you want me to. I think for something like this it doesn't cost anything. If it does, I'll let you know. Novermber 11, 2007? We a go? As soon as we say go, I'll make the call, get the permit next week and we can start inviting speakers.

Paul4Prez
08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
I would have voted for DC before reading the thread, but it looks like it has to be Philadelphia.

Set up a new Ron Paul Philadelphia Rally demand on Eventful -- that will get the campaign's attention, and help you track the estimated arrivals.

Can Ron Paul run up the steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art afterward and raise his arms like Rocky? That would make a great YouTube video....

McDermit
08-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Can Ron Paul run up the steps at the Philadelphia Museum of Art afterward and raise his arms like Rocky? That would make a great YouTube video....
Haha, that would be a riot.

Sematary
I would have voted for DC before reading the thread, but it looks like it has to be Philadelphia.

Set up a new Ron Paul Philadelphia Rally demand on Eventful -- that will get the campaign's attention, and help you track the estimated arrivals.

The campaign has already told me that if we schedule the event they will do their best to get him there.

Sematary
I will make the call Monday and get the ball rolling. Once the date and time is set up, I will make the "official" announcement.

McDermit
08-18-2007, 12:03 AM
It all sounds good to me, Semetary. I'd say go for it. I can't spearhead it, as I've got too much other stuff going on. We'll actually be out of the country the week preceeding the march, flying back into PHL on the 10th, but I'll certainly participate. And I'll have the group of 8 that I'm travelling with there as well.

edit: woops. you beat me. lol.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 12:08 AM
It all sounds good to me, Semetary. I'd say go for it. I can't spearhead it, as I've got too much other stuff going on. We'll actually be out of the country the week preceeding the march, flying back into PHL on the 10th, but I'll certainly participate. And I'll have the group of 8 that I'm travelling with there as well.

edit: woops. you beat me. lol.

I can start the ball rolling but after that, well, it's up to the grassroots to show up. The only thing we will need is for someone to set up the sound system (provided by the parks dept. I believe). And - as a bonus - I think there is no fee since it is a first amendment type of rally. What are we going to call this?

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 12:11 AM
Sematary - Awesome. I think we should then have the Philly MeetUps do the logistics once you set the date with the powers that be with the Mall. There are almost 1,000 MeetUp members in the Philly area. I can contact the leaders of the two biggest - Greater Philly and Montgomery County.

I'd get more inolved, but like I said, I'll be in New England (actually on an island 30 miles out at sea off New England) for Sept and Oct, but I will have high speed and phone.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Sematary - Awesome. I think we should then have the Philly MeetUps do the logistics once you set the date with the powers that be with the Mall. There are almost 1,000 MeetUp members in the Philly area. I can contact the leaders of the two biggest - Greater Philly and Montgomery County.

I'd get more inolved, but like I said, I'll be in New England (actually on an island 30 miles out at sea off New England) for Sept and Oct, but I will have high speed and phone.

Pm me so I can contact you after I've set this up. Then it's up to us to get the people there.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Ok - we need a name for our group
That's job 1
Number 2
We need someone to deliver this: http://www.nps.gov/inde/upload/permitse.pdf

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 12:24 AM
PM done.

Also, if anybody wants to see a good action movie with a presidential rally at Independence Hall that is also anti corrupt government, Shooter with Mark Walhberg is a good one to rent. I think it is out on DVD now. I thought it was a great movie.

http://movies.go.com/shooter/d858572/drama

LibertyEagle
08-18-2007, 12:25 AM
What we need to be doing right now is helping call TEXAS DELEGATES for the upcoming Texas straw poll. If you want Dr. Paul win this straw poll, PLEASE help.

Instructions for signing up are here.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=12495

Sematary
08-18-2007, 12:27 AM
What we need to be doing right now is helping call TEXAS DELEGATES for the upcoming Texas straw poll. If you want Dr. Paul win this straw poll, PLEASE help.

Instructions for signing up are here.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=12495

You have your agenda, I have mine and MINE is getting national media attention. I don't feel comfortable calling people (writing, yes - calling, no). THIS will get national media attention (if we fill the park and then some).

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 12:32 AM
Ok - we need a name for our group
That's job 1
Number 2
We need someone to deliver this: http://www.nps.gov/inde/upload/permitse.pdf

I can deliver, but we need proper contact names/person in charge, group name, addresses etc.

I can put my info, but I'll be out town Sept/Oct.

Get me the info and i can deliver. May need to talk to Philly meetup people this weekend unless a Philly person reading this post can run with it.

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 12:34 AM
I'll be calling Texas this weekend and everybody else should be too.

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Just sent emails to the organizers of the two largest Philly MeetUps seeking help. Will post results.

gaak60
08-18-2007, 06:56 AM
Philadelphaia is the home of the Liberty Bell and the United States Constitution.
Where else is a more fitting setting for the Champion of the Constitution and people's liberties.

gaak

dbthayer
08-18-2007, 07:17 AM
What's more appropriate: liberty's birthplace or liberty's graveyard?

ronpaulhawaii
08-18-2007, 08:01 AM
What's more appropriate: liberty's birthplace or liberty's graveyard?

LOL

Glad to see Philly getting the nod. I'll let the local MU's know.

Calling Texans IS important, anyone with time> find the sticky and get on it. I've already let local MU's know

Sematary
08-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I sent this to the parks department this morning:

Is November 11, 2007 available as a date for a large rally celebrating freedom and the first amendment?

They responded very quickly to my question about the maximum number of persons and I expect the answer to this will be waiting in my mailbox when I return from Paulinating Ozzfest on Monday. :-)

I figured the best way to phrase it is the way I did. By the way, there are some questions on the permit request that need to be answered: http://www.nps.gov/inde/upload/permitse.pdf

I'm certain we want to tell them that there will be 5000 people (the max) and hopefully we will get that and more. There will also need to be volunteers for the sound, cleanup, etc...
I assume we will be handing out literature to local passersby? Or maybe there won't be any because of the event?

ronpaulhawaii
08-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I sent this to the parks department this morning:

Is November 11, 2007 available as a date for a large rally celebrating freedom and the first amendment?

They responded very quickly to my question about the maximum number of persons and I expect the answer to this will be waiting in my mailbox when I return from Paulinating Ozzfest on Monday. :-)

I figured the best way to phrase it is the way I did. By the way, there are some questions on the permit request that need to be answered: http://www.nps.gov/inde/upload/permitse.pdf

I'm certain we want to tell them that there will be 5000 people (the max) and hopefully we will get that and more. There will also need to be volunteers for the sound, cleanup, etc...
I assume we will be handing out literature to local passersby? Or maybe there won't be any because of the event?

I agree on phrasing. I would say we "hope" for 5000.

If any philly MU members are in a band, the should have access/connections to local AV stuff. The Mackie self powered speakers are easy to use. 4 up front/2 on delay. If we need to rent, I can call PSAV and see if I can get the standard 30% pro-discount...

Glad you metioned clean-up, you are obviousley thinking this through...

I gotta go do family stuff, I'll be back later.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 08:31 AM
I agree on phrasing. I would say we "hope" for 5000.

If any philly MU members are in a band, the should have access/connections to local AV stuff. The Mackie self powered speakers are easy to use. 4 up front/2 on delay. If we need to rent, I can call PSAV and see if I can get the standard 30% pro-discount...

Glad you metioned clean-up, you are obviousley thinking this through...

I gotta go do family stuff, I'll be back later.

I believe that all necessary sound equipment is available on site - as they say they don't want portable equipment being used. Once we have the permits, etc... we can begin to work out the details. Hopefully, we can use the park on the 11th.

PhillyRevolution
08-18-2007, 08:55 AM
How about both cities.... 50,000 people in both DC and philly would be 10x larger (on the news)then just one big protest in DC

we need to create another 'SHOT HEARD AROUND THE WORLD' to get taken seriously

This Revolution is about saving the United States from becoming the North American Union.

We fought a war in 1775 to have our own country. We may have to fight another to get it back.

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 09:34 AM
I just spoke on the phone to one of our local MeetUp organizers and he has the emails for all PA MeetUps.

He was not even aware of this forum and was concerned with overwehlming already busy volunteers.

I told him where we need help is with marketing the event locally - especially the two weeks before, and with set-up and take-down. He felt that would be no problem and once we have the time and date set, he will email all PA MeetUp heads and it will be put brought up in meetings, put in minutes, etc.

I think 3-5k people should go on the application. I will try and get down to talk to them with questions first thing Monday and then deliver the form Tuesday or Wednesday.

The other thing is funds for set-up. Do we bother renting chairs? Will neeed lots of RP signs, which I'm sure the local MeetUps can help with. Definitly need a podium are with mikes, music, etc.

I'm sure the aprkservice people can recommend vendors, but this will have a cost.

CarmenCalderone
08-18-2007, 01:53 PM
I say Philadelphia.

DC and Philly are easy to get to, I don't think location is an issue.

Philadelphia would be easier to get permits and would be more symbolic...

the birth place of the country

the Liberty Bell

its where the Declaration of Independence was written

Constitution

ect. ect.

trispear
08-18-2007, 02:10 PM
Wow, Philly really caught up - I'm glad.

Captain Shays
08-18-2007, 02:36 PM
The only downside about Philly is that if the wind blows the wrong direction, you might get a whiff of that fresh Jersey air. lol.

Obviously you don't know the area. Philly sits across the Delaware River from South Jersey. We don't stink here. They do up in North Jersey and it gives us a bad name.

Anyway, I say Philly. Whoever said DC is more central is just plain wrong. Philly sits between Baltimore, DC and NYC. Plus we draw from a metro population of over 5 million right here, added to the easy commute from Central and North Jersey, NYC and their metro and it raises that total to 12 million. Now ad DC, Baltimore, within 2.5 hrs, Pittsburg (RPs home town) and Boston within 6 hrs and we've raised our avilability to possible attendees to 20-30 million peeps.

But Philly was the home of the American Revolution. Let's make it home of the Ron Paul Revolution as well.

Captain Shays
08-18-2007, 02:40 PM
I just spoke on the phone to one of our local MeetUp organizers and he has the emails for all PA MeetUps.

He was not even aware of this forum and was concerned with overwehlming already busy volunteers.

I told him where we need help is with marketing the event locally - especially the two weeks before, and with set-up and take-down. He felt that would be no problem and once we have the time and date set, he will email all PA MeetUp heads and it will be put brought up in meetings, put in minutes, etc.

I think 3-5k people should go on the application. I will try and get down to talk to them with questions first thing Monday and then deliver the form Tuesday or Wednesday.

The other thing is funds for set-up. Do we bother renting chairs? Will neeed lots of RP signs, which I'm sure the local MeetUps can help with. Definitly need a podium are with mikes, music, etc.

I'm sure the aprkservice people can recommend vendors, but this will have a cost.

We have a whole factory set us here in Philly for making signs. We can pump them out by the hundreds!
I sort of have an IN with one of the local radio programs who has already had Ron Paul on the show once. I've have a thread on this board that askes everybody to keep clicking on it every day and passing it around so that RPs count numbers will go up because that will help him get an interview in the studio next time. Michael Smerconish can help us promote the hell outa this rally if we play it right.
I'm sure you'll get plenty of helpers to set up and take down.

Captain Shays
08-18-2007, 02:42 PM
We need bands. Music draws people in. If we can get a couple of big named bands who we know are RP supporters it would really help.

Ralph Nader raised over $4 million just by doing that.

Let's not stop in Philly. Lets get a RP tour together.

McDermit
08-18-2007, 03:49 PM
Obviously you don't know the area. Philly sits across the Delaware River from South Jersey. We don't stink here. They do up in North Jersey and it gives us a bad name.

I do know the area.. and it was a joke. Guess it didn't quite land. :rolleyes:

tmg19103
08-18-2007, 04:56 PM
Great stuff Captain Shays. PM me if you know of any bands that are good but inexpensive.

I'll be going down to visit with the Park Sevice early next week to get he date sqared away and ask them about logistics.

Looking at 1pm Sunday November 11 with the next day being Veterans Day and a holiday for many.

I also totaled over 1,000 MeetUp members within 50 miles of Philly. Not sure how many are active, but I think we can get a big crowd locally alone - with RP supporters from all over also coming.

Still working details on how to best martket this outside the RP network. Thoughts on that are welcome. The more undecided voters we get the better as the great RP message will convert them.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 06:22 PM
We need bands. Music draws people in. If we can get a couple of big named bands who we know are RP supporters it would really help.

Any idea how much work that is? It's going to be difficult to set up just this one event.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Great stuff Captain Shays. PM me if you know of any bands that are good but inexpensive.

I'll be going down to visit with the Park Sevice early next week to get he date sqared away and ask them about logistics.

Looking at 1pm Sunday November 11 with the next day being Veterans Day and a holiday for many.

I also totaled over 1,000 MeetUp members within 50 miles of Philly. Not sure how many are active, but I think we can get a big crowd locally alone - with RP supporters from all over also coming.

Still working details on how to best martket this outside the RP network. Thoughts on that are welcome. The more undecided voters we get the better as the great RP message will convert them.

I know a band - the lead singer is a supporter. They're small but I will ask if they'd like to do it.

mamapadawan
08-18-2007, 07:19 PM
I think Philly would be better than DC from a media perspective. Rallies are held daily in DC and are largely ignored by the media unless it draws an incredibly large number of people.
However in Philly, a relatively small rally will receive quite a bit of press, since rallies don't happen regularly in Philly. Thinking from a campaign perspective, Philly is the better choice.
I love visiting DC and could get lost in the Smithsonian museums for weeks on end. But a DC rally would receive little to no press, and would thus largely be a waste of our resources.

american.swan
08-18-2007, 07:26 PM
I haven't read this thread but it looks like the best idea based on the poll is to have two marches at two different times. Maybe one this year and one next year. How about Philly first because it has more support NOW. And as the support continues to grow we will be able to get a large enough following for a "million" man/woman/child march on Washington next year.

How about that?

Sematary
08-18-2007, 09:48 PM
I haven't read this thread but it looks like the best idea based on the poll is to have two marches at two different times. Maybe one this year and one next year. How about Philly first because it has more support NOW. And as the support continues to grow we will be able to get a large enough following for a "million" man/woman/child march on Washington next year.

How about that?

One thing at a time. Let's focus on getting him nominated NOW and then we can worry about the general election, later.

ronpaulhawaii
08-18-2007, 09:52 PM

How did he do that? Charge admission?, through PAC's passing a hat? I am serious and think we ned to plan a way to work fundraising into this effort.

I know a band - the lead singer is a supporter. They're small but I will ask if they'd like to do it.

There will need to be a schedule of events (a program). There should be entertainment and speeches and the keynote would be RP. It is best to make the "entertainment" lowkey. As Sematary stated "big name" bands are usually more hassle than they are worth. Especially for a grassroots effort like this, IMHO.

A few local bands, some soloists, comedians, stuff like that. Big productions are a... big production :o . Keep it simple.

Glad to see philly MU's dropping in. That factory sounds great :D

How about that?

good idea...

KUTGW

www.ronpaul2008.com/donate (http://www.ronpaul2008.com/donate)

Pauliana
08-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Why not focus a rally around the American Dream Summit in DC Oct 4-5? John Stossel and others will speak, Romney is supposed to be there.

Let's take it over for Ron Paul!

Sematary
08-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Why not focus a rally around the American Dream Summit in DC Oct 4-5? John Stossel and others will speak, Romney is supposed to be there.

I think that's a great idea but we're still going forward with the liberty rally in Philly if we can. It has already been confirmed that there is space available on that date.

Sematary
08-18-2007, 10:15 PM

P.S. - if I can make it, I will.

Why don't you start organizing a contact of meetup groups to get people to show up? Don't just give the idea - MAKE IT HAPPEN!! It's your idea - now run with it.

Captain Shays
08-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Ralph Nader went around the country during his 2000 campaign and out drew both Bush and Gore by a factor of 4-1. He was charging at the door plus had people walking around passing buckets down the isles for money like in church.
Unfortunatly, not many of these events made it to the mainstream media. I went to the one at Madison Square Garden where he sold out the venue with 20,000 and there was an overflow crowd outside that made lost of noise, had lots of signs and marched around the venue during the rally inside.
The bext day we wanted to record it on our vcr and scanned EVERY channel for SOMETHING. We saw Bush's wife and mother going to a day care center in street clothes. We saw Gore and his wife waving at the cameras on casual clothes but no event. The largest crowd either Bush or Gore drew after their conventions was no larger than 5,000 and that for free. Like i said, Nader was rutinly drawing crowds of 10,000-20-0000 aqnd none of them got a mention.

If we do any kind of rally for RP we had all better make damn sure that EVERY media outlet in that particular market knows about it, and then make sure that every media outlet in the entire country knows about it too. If they ignore us, we can't be as mild as the Nader crowd. We need to block the entrance of the stations. Block the roads leading into them. Get arrested if possible. Raise hell for sure.

Before the rally we need to promote it like all get out to get all in. We can'tbe half assed about this. Our lives and freedoms actually depend on it. We'r up against a huge corrupt monster that doesn't want to give back their power positions easily. They're dirty, corrupt, evil, and power hungry. They'll eat us if we let them. We can't be going around calling this a revolution and act like its some kind of game or like its going to come easy.

Sematary
08-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Ralph Nader went around the country during his 2000 campaign and out drew both Bush and Gore by a factor of 4-1. He was charging at the door plus had people walking around passing buckets down the isles for money like in church.
Unfortunatly, not many of these events made it to the mainstream media. I went to the one at Madison Square Garden where he sold out the venue with 20,000 and there was an overflow crowd outside that made lost of noise, had lots of signs and marched around the venue during the rally inside.
The bext day we wanted to record it on our vcr and scanned EVERY channel for SOMETHING. We saw Bush's wife and mother going to a day care center in street clothes. We saw Gore and his wife waving at the cameras on casual clothes but no event. The largest crowd either Bush or Gore drew after their conventions was no larger than 5,000 and that for free. Like i said, Nader was rutinly drawing crowds of 10,000-20-0000 aqnd none of them got a mention.

If we do any kind of rally for RP we had all better make damn sure that EVERY media outlet in that particular market knows about it, and then make sure that every media outlet in the entire country knows about it too. If they ignore us, we can't be as mild as the Nader crowd. We need to block the entrance of the stations. Block the roads leading into them. Get arrested if possible. Raise hell for sure.

Before the rally we need to promote it like all get out to get all in. We can'tbe half assed about this. Our lives and freedoms actually depend on it. We'r up against a huge corrupt monster that doesn't want to give back their power positions easily. They're dirty, corrupt, evil, and power hungry. They'll eat us if we let them. We can't be going around calling this a revolution and act like its some kind of game or like its going to come easy.

We don't need to get arrested to make a point. It might get media attention but it would be the wrong kind of media attention. We are limited by how many people can actually fit into the park but I'd love to see thousands of overflow in the streets and lots of local coverage. We have to get some decent speakers there to attract attention.

Craig_R
08-19-2007, 09:01 AM
In wisconsin and I'd go to either, I'd rather do it in DC to scare the shit out of the establishment.

Folks seem to be seriously underestimating turnout, I think a Paul Rally would be bigger than that million man march thing

Sematary
08-19-2007, 09:09 AM
In wisconsin and I'd go to either, I'd rather do it in DC to scare the shit out of the establishment.

Folks seem to be seriously underestimating turnout, I think a Paul Rally would be bigger than that million man march thing

The real problem with DC is timing (we don't have enough to get it done before the primaries) and regulations (tons of them) and, of course, the size problem. I don't believe we can attract a million RP supporters at this point. Maybe after the nomination.

princessredtights
08-19-2007, 09:54 AM
I want to come - let us know asap so I can get tickets!

I think Philly - the birthplace of freedom -

Maybe have some people dressed up like the founding fathers ... encourage people to Declare their Independence ... (sign a book with a plume pen) ...

gaak60
08-19-2007, 11:17 AM
philly and constitution like cheese steak and fries

Vich
08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Folks, we need a rally in Philly. There will definitely be exposure as Michael Smerconish, a talk show host on the same station as Rush, Hannity, etc, is a fan of Ron Paul's, including his stance on the War on Terror. Listen to Smerconish's interview of Ron Paul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOoR90hksE&mode=related&search=).

Smerconish will definitely pump it up and give positive exposure to the campaign. It will be a lot harder to find positive coverage in D.C. at this point.

Yes, I am close to Philly, but I could make it to D.C. if a rally happens to be there. I just think that Philadelphia is the better choice.

Independence Hall, the Constitution Center ... Philadelphia, unlike D.C., really represents the Revolution and limited government. It is a fitting place to have a rally. The upside is terrific.

Dear Leader VI
08-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Philadelphia has one of the largest media markets in the country and also as three times as many people as D.C.

Maximum exposure.

tmg19103
08-19-2007, 04:14 PM
Folks, we need a rally in Philly. There will definitely be exposure as Michael Smerconish, a talk show host on the same station as Rush, Hannity, etc, is a fan of Ron Paul's, including his stance on the War on Terror. Listen to Smerconish's interview of Ron Paul (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqOoR90hksE&mode=related&search=).

Smerconish will definitely pump it up and give positive exposure to the campaign. It will be a lot harder to find positive coverage in D.C. at this point.

Yes, I am close to Philly, but I could make it to D.C. if a rally happens to be there. I just think that Philadelphia is the better choice.

Independence Hall, the Constitution Center ... Philadelphia, unlike D.C., really represents the Revolution and limited government. It is a fitting place to have a rally. The upside is terrific.

I live 1 mile from Smirconish and we should use him. How should we approach him?

I don't know him, but we have friends in common, he is on an email distribution list of mine and he used an email of mine to his hsow to break a story on his radio show about our local police covering up violent crime - including a recent rape at a girls privateschool in our township just outside Philly.

He's a cool dude.

Vich
08-19-2007, 04:32 PM
I live 1 mile from Smirconish and we should use him. How should we approach him?

I don't know him, but we have friends in common, he is on an email distribution list of mine and he used an email of mine to his hsow to break a story on his radio show about our local police covering up violent crime - including a recent rape at a girls privateschool in our township just outside Philly.

He's a cool dude.

tmg, i don't think it should be that much of a problem to get him involved somehow. He was very positive in the interview that I linked up and was trying to get Ron Paul to come to Philadelphia.

ronpaulhawaii
08-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Powerful post, thanks. Did McCain/Feingold happen before, or after this? I wish we could do it now, but I doubt it. The bastards...

We don't need to get arrested to make a point. It might get media attention but it would be the wrong kind of media attention. We are limited by how many people can actually fit into the park but I'd love to see thousands of overflow in the streets and lots of local coverage. We have to get some decent speakers there to attract attention.

Agreed.

The logistics are a bitch.

Stoked it's in Philly, for now...

MG1234
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Would be happy to chip in with Philly. Looking forward to hear the determined results!

tmg19103
08-20-2007, 09:38 AM
As I thought, the conference call I had for work this morning went long and I have an appointment this afternoon.

However, I am open all day tomorrow and will be down at the Park Service in Philly first thing in the AM tomorrow with the application and to get info for planning the event.

Will update tomorrow afternoon/evening.

Sematary
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
As I thought, the conference call I had for work this morning went long and I have an appointment this afternoon.

However, I am open all day tomorrow and will be down at the Park Service in Philly first thing in the AM tomorrow with the application and to get info for planning the event.

Will update tomorrow afternoon/evening.

nice.

jason43
08-22-2007, 04:33 AM
The big advantage to having it in DC is the Mall. It would be impressive to fill it up and to do a march from the Capitol to the Whitehouse... kind of representitive of our candidate going from the Congress to the President;o)

But maybe we could just do two marches. First one in Philly, second one in DC.

Sematary
08-22-2007, 07:48 AM
The big advantage to having it in DC is the Mall. It would be impressive to fill it up and to do a march from the Capitol to the Whitehouse... kind of representitive of our candidate going from the Congress to the President;o)

But maybe we could just do two marches. First one in Philly, second one in DC.

We are thinking DC if he gets the nomination. There is no way, with all the red tape, that we get one done before the primaries and I don't believe we'd have the numbers to get noticed in DC.

Captain Shays
08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I have already set up an interview on Michael Smerconish''s show the morning fo the event or the day before if possible. From what his people tell me this interview will be inh the studio and for an hour!!

For those who don't know, I was the one who set up the first interview on Smerconish for Dr Paul and it turned out great!

In fact, I would encourage everyone to keep logging into the Smerconish pod casts and click on that interview so that Michael will soon announce that its the #1 listened to interview. This is important because it will get Ron Paul more interviews and more mention on Smerconish's show.
Its also important because the other hosts on that station have interviewed Ghoulaini, Romnoid and McCoodleCain and we need to beat them as far as listeners.

Peace and Freedom

Dave

Sematary
08-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I have already set up an interview on Michael Smerconish''s show the morning fo the event or the day before if possible. From what his people tell me this interview will be inh the studio and for an hour!!

For those who don't know, I was the one who set up the first interview on Smerconish for Dr Paul and it turned out great!

In fact, I would encourage everyone to keep logging into the Smerconish pod casts and click on that interview so that Michael will soon announce that its the #1 listened to interview. This is important because it will get Ron Paul more interviews and more mention on Smerconish's show.
Its also important because the other hosts on that station have interviewed Ghoulaini, Romnoid and McCoodleCain and we need to beat them as far as listeners.

Peace and Freedom

Dave

linkage?

tmg19103
08-22-2007, 08:49 AM
It's Philly first and details will be finalized by week end. See the Philly Rally Update thread.

Captain Shays
08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
One more thing to ad to my last post. I asked Michael if he could mcee the event and he has too much going on. Unfortunatly, he cannot.

Sematary
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM
One more thing to ad to my last post. I asked Michael if he could mcee the event and he has too much going on. Unfortunatly, he cannot.

I would personally love to be the "host" "mcee" whatever.

Captain Shays
08-22-2007, 09:08 AM
Ask and you shall recieve Sematary. I tried to find the link to the podcast and its gone. I just sent an email to Smerconish asking "yo dude wassup wit dat interview".(I speek philly)

This is from my thread

New Link to the interview. Please click on it once per day and please pass it around. after all. It is a great interview.
http://www.thebigtalker1210.com/pages/627026.php

Still doesn't work

itsnobody
08-22-2007, 09:11 AM
I say DC definitely, I live close by plus it's better in DC because it's the Nation's Capitol...

Sematary
08-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I say DC definitely, I live close by plus it's better in DC because it's the Nation's Capitol...

Philly has already been decided. We'll do DC IF we get the nomination!

itsnobody
08-22-2007, 09:22 AM
Philly has already been decided. We'll do DC IF we get the nomination!

Oh, well I'm a bit late on this, guess I can't show up, oh well...I hope someone youtubes it

Ozwest
08-22-2007, 09:23 AM
save beauricratic D.C. for the innaugriation. Philly has Constitutianal history, Uni students and thousands of potential voters/party animals. Out of towners would also find parking and accomodation easier and more plentiful.

Sematary
08-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Oh, well I'm a bit late on this, guess I can't show up, oh well...I hope someone youtubes it

It's not till November and we need EVERYONE to show up.

itsnobody
08-22-2007, 09:34 AM
save beauricratic D.C. for the innaugriation. Philly has Constitutianal history, Uni students and thousands of potential voters/party animals. Out of towners would also find parking and accomodation easier and more plentiful.
Yeah that's true, now that I think about it, Philly really does seem better, it's not too far away...

It's not till November and we need EVERYONE to show up.
Not until November? Maybe I can come then, hopefully I would've started a huge Ron Paul group at my college (University of Maryland, College Park) by then.....this is great I hope we can get thousands to come out

Sematary
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah that's true, now that I think about it, Philly really does seem better, it's not too far away...

Not until November? Maybe I can come then, hopefully I would've started a huge Ron Paul group at my college (University of Maryland, College Park) by then.....this is great I hope we can get thousands to come out

Put up a Ron table at your college and bring voter registration forms. Just do it!

itsnobody
08-23-2007, 04:18 AM
When is the exact date of the rally, November 11th?

Truth Revolution
08-30-2007, 03:58 AM
Philadelphia for sure!
It's been said already, but worth repeating: there's nothing in DC that stands for liberty or truth. No one there cares about what we have to say, except lots of police behind barricades.
I attended a peace rally early this summer in DC organized by UFPJ, with well over 300k in attendance, and it was completely ignored by the corporate media. DC is a dead place on weekends, and if the TV networks don't want to publicize Ron Paul, they won't show up, on matter how many are in attendance.
If we can get 50k Paul supporters in Philly, it'll be a major event, and the TV cameras will be there. Any of the other candidates giving a speech in front of the Liberty Bell would be a joke, and they'd have to pay people to come. But this is the Ron Paul Revolution! Let's make this event one for the history books!

Metalstonewood@yahoo.com
08-31-2007, 11:14 PM
You Have To Get Video Of Ron Paul At Carpenters Hall ,the Liberty Bell,ect, Ect, Ect, Its A No Brainer Its About Restoring The Republic! Jay