PDA

View Full Version : My delegate status in Indiana is getting challenged

No1ButPaul08
03-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Recieved a letter today from my county clerk notifying that my Republican status has been challenged.

Rule 9-7. (a) No person shall be eligible for election at the primary election to the
office of State Convention Delegate unless the individual:
(1) is a qualified elector of the precinct,
(2) is a member in good standing in the Republican Party, and
(3) cast a Republican Party ballot at the individual’s most recent vote
at a primary election.
(b) An individual who has not previously voted in a primary election is not
disqualified as a candidate under (a)(3) solely as a result of the individual’s absence
of previous primary voting history.

The challenge says, "he did not cast a Republican Party ballot in the 2006 primary election. I also do not feel this individual is a member in good standing in the Republican Party.

Attached is a copy of my voter history and a contribution page.

The voter history shows that I voted in the 2002 R primary, also my last primary vote. I win that part of the challenge, as the rule states that MY most recent vote in a primary had to be Republican, which it was. By the rules, it did not have to be the last election, just my most recent vote. The best part of this is that I did not know I cast the 2002 primary vote. They sent me proof that I had which should help me in the long run.

The second part of the challenge is that I am not in good standing with the GOP. The contribution page attached shows a contribution from MY PARENTS to a Dem. I think that is his basis for the challenge. I'm not sure what else they have here.

I think their challenge appears weak. However, "good standing with the GOP" is rather vague. I imagine the burden of proof will be on the challenger to proof my standing is not good, which I'm not sure he can do. My hearing is Thurs. Wish me luck.

mczerone
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I think their challenge appears weak. However, "good standing with the GOP" is rather vague. I imagine the burden of proof will be on the challenger to proof my standing is not good, which I'm not sure he can do. My hearing is Thurs. Wish me luck.

You said "imagine," but you mean "assume". You're going to be dealing with the Republican system here, and you will have to prove your point, regardless of where the burden should lie.

Do some research into past State Convention Delegates, and make sure that you show some that hadn't participated in too much before, some who were related to a Democrat, some who hadn't voted R in 5 years or more. Hopefully this is some info that you can research, but likely it is all under control of the people that are accusing you, eh?

Go into this assuming that they are going to be the biggest pricks imaginable, those who would rule against you despite having proved your case. The Entire Party System is what we are fighting, even if we're only trying to alter the direction of one.

No1ButPaul08
03-03-2008, 01:07 PM
You said "imagine," but you mean "assume". You're going to be dealing with the Republican system here, and you will have to prove your point, regardless of where the burden should lie.

Do some research into past State Convention Delegates, and make sure that you show some that hadn't participated in too much before, some who were related to a Democrat, some who hadn't voted R in 5 years or more. Hopefully this is some info that you can research, but likely it is all under control of the people that are accusing you, eh?

Go into this assuming that they are going to be the biggest pricks imaginable, those who would rule against you despite having proved your case. The Entire Party System is what we are fighting, even if we're only trying to alter the direction of one.

I am expecting this, I just don't think they have much to go on. It should take me 10 seconds to win the first part. The rule clearly states that it is the individuals last primary vote, not the last primary vote held. And if all he has on the second part is my parents contribution, they are hurting. The hearing is held before the county elections board, not the county GOP. I do understand what you are saying though.

I have also got in touch with the Indiana delegate coordinator to see what her thoughts were

Edit: My biggest problem is if i have to prove my, "Republicanism." I really don't have much here, but they don't have ANYTHING to prove I'm not

stevedasbach
03-03-2008, 01:12 PM

Did you donate to a Republican candidate recently -- say for President perhaps? Did you engage in any volunteer campaigning (canvassing, literature distribution, etc.)?

Jason726
03-03-2008, 01:15 PM
///

No1ButPaul08
03-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Did you donate to a Republican candidate recently -- say for President perhaps? Did you engage in any volunteer campaigning (canvassing, literature distribution, etc.)?

Yes I have donated to Ron, I'll make sure to bring proof of that.

The challenger's research is rather weak. He points to a Republican voter database, which classifies me as, "weak republican." That paper also shows my primary voter history which should help me in the long run. The other document he shows is my parents contribution.

Mr. White
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
It's pretty simple... look up what constitutes good standing. I'd imagine you are in good standing by default and can only lose it.

No1ButPaul08
03-03-2008, 01:44 PM
It's pretty simple... look up what constitutes good standing. I'd imagine you are in good standing by default and can only lose it.

The Indiana Republican rules are rather vague when it comes to, "good standing"

Rule 1-6. Each and every member and officer of any Party Committee or
Subcommittee shall be a true representative Republican, in good standing in the
Party. If an individual openly supports a candidate after the Primary Election, who
is opposing a Republican Candidate, they are not in good standing in the Party and may be removed for cause under Rules 3-22 and 3-23. (see Rule 1-8)

This rule is only for the Party Committee, which is NOT state delegates. This is the only provision that tries to define good standing, and it really doesn't do that.

http://www.indgop.org/rulesrevision06.pdf

Sandra
03-03-2008, 01:46 PM
How in hell did the challenger know who your parents were?

No1ButPaul08
03-03-2008, 01:52 PM
How in hell did the challenger know who your parents were?

I have lived with them on and off for the last 5 years, so I've always kept their place as my legal voting residence.

indianacampaignfinance.com

He searched my last name and came up with one contribution from my parents. It actually not even my parents, it's their company with our last name in the title, which i have no stake in, which is very easy to prove. He's pretty much filed a challenge with no proof and is hoping the system will help him out, which they very well may.

The contribution isn't even coming from my address

LEK
03-03-2008, 02:22 PM

+1

Where's the proof? I think the challenegr is trying to unnerve you. Don't let him.
Will be thinking of ya on Thursday.

No1ButPaul08
03-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I've done some research into county election boards in Indiana. This is for all counties except those with 400k-700k citizens or 140k-170k citizens. My county is neither.

Sec. 2. The following three (3) members comprise each county election board:
(1) The circuit court clerk, who is ex officio a member of the board.
(2) Two (2) persons appointed by the circuit court clerk, one (1) from each of the major political parties of the county.

My county clerk is a Republican who can't run again and is done 2010. It will be 2 republicans and 1 democrat on the election board.

angelatc
03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Wear a tie!

Thomas Paine
03-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Ridiculous! The burden the proof should be on the challenger. If the challenger wants to try to make a window into your soul, then that challenger is surely as great a threat to democracy as Vladimir Lenin or Leon Trotsky ever was.

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Leaving right now for my hearing. I feel I'm well prepared. Wish me luck

amy31416
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Good luck, and thank you for all you are doing.

pinkmandy
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Who is this challenger and what is he doing? Is he targeting other delegates as well? I think you should also be questioning his motivations and ties. What prompted a citizen to look into you as a delegate if he wasn't "encouraged" to do so in the first place? My flags are up and bells are going off.

Rhys
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
I am expecting this, I just don't think they have much to go on. It should take me 10 seconds to win the first part. The rule clearly states that it is the individuals last primary vote, not the last primary vote held. And if all he has on the second part is my parents contribution, they are hurting. The hearing is held before the county elections board, not the county GOP. I do understand what you are saying though.

I have also got in touch with the Indiana delegate coordinator to see what her thoughts were

Edit: My biggest problem is if i have to prove my, "Republicanism." I really don't have much here, but they don't have ANYTHING to prove I'm not

what state are you in? send me a pm.

edit. i wish i saw this sooner. i just saw that you left already. i was gonna pull a favor with my lawyer. lol

Cleaner44
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
what state are you in? send me a pm.

Notice the word Indiana in the thread title? :D

ItsTime
03-06-2008, 04:43 PM
After you win your challenge go ahead and challenge every other non-Ron Paul delegate.

then site McCains voting record as proof that they are not supporting republican values.

rockandrollsouls
03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
how incredible would that be, huh? You might be onto something..can we find out some McCain delegates and weed out some due to "technicalities" :p

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-06-2008, 05:06 PM
How did they know you were a delegate?
Did you sign up at ww.opengopconvention.com?
***If you haven't seen that site yet, look at this
thread and be caucious of what you offer them.
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=126573

Rhys
03-06-2008, 05:23 PM
how incredible would that be, huh? You might be onto something..can we find out some McCain delegates and weed out some due to "technicalities" :p

of course we can. we just never do those things. did you see Nader say the DNC sued him 28 times in 2000 to get him off the ballot?

we're victims because we chose to be

MikeSmith
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM

Please update us when you get back.

robert4rp08
03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Just to be clear...

You were elected to be a delegate, and are now being challenged?

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 07:12 PM
First I will clear up some questions. I applied to be a delegate and my candidacy was challenged by the Republican Chair of the county. The primary is not until May 6th, but if a challenge occurs the County Election Board hears the case and then decides. The county election board was the Clerk (R), and a republican she appointed and a democrat she appointed.

There were 4 of us Ron Paul supporters there. All of our candidacies got denied. The rules for being a delegate are

Rule 9-7. (a) No person shall be eligible for election at the primary election to the
office of State Convention Delegate unless the individual:
(1) is a qualified elector of the precinct,
(2) is a member in good standing in the Republican Party, and
(3) cast a Republican Party ballot at the individual’s most recent vote
at a primary election.
(b) An individual who has not previously voted in a primary election is not
disqualified as a candidate under (a)(3) solely as a result of the individual’s absence
of previous primary voting history.

Under the rules of the Republican Party, good standing is never defined. The board asked the County Chair what he thought good standing was. He listed a couple of things that could make a person in good standing; a donation, active in the local party, and not helping another parties candidates.

The hearing went like this
1st RP supporter; Republican primary history, but connections to Lib Party. 2-1 NO
2nd RP supporter; no primary history, Lib Party connections 3-0 no
3rd RP supporter; no primary history, no party history 3-0 no

myself; Republican Primary history; a Republican donation, and no connections to another party. 3-0 no, with really no reasoning. They debated the other supporteres and came up with halfway decents reasons to deny their case. For me, the Dem on the panel said something like, "Looks like he doesn't meet the criteria to me." This gave the clerk an out, she was the swing vote on the previous 2-1 decision and you could tell she did not want to decide. The dem was previously open minded with the other case but some reason not mine. The challenger didn't even really present a case, I just wasn't on his list of county Republicans, so therefore I'm not in good standing according to him.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Boo.

DealzOnWheelz
03-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Find out if there is an appeal process and contact the campaign HQ

Sandra
03-06-2008, 07:29 PM
It doesn't sound like they are reviewing according to RNC rules. I see there is a Dem on the board, who is ruling body ?

Sandra
03-06-2008, 07:33 PM
Also I don't think your Republicanism can be judged by anyone else but the Republican committee of your county according to RNC rules. The Dem on the board completely invalidates the process as the committee to decide this can have no other party affiliation. RNC states no local or state rules can override this rule.

Was there a lot of people in attendance to witness this process?

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 07:48 PM
IC 3-6-5-34
Appeal of county election board decision; time to file
Sec. 34. Except as expressly provided by statute, an appeal may be taken from a decision of a county election board to the circuit court. An appeal taken under this section must be filed not later than thirty (30) days after the board makes the decision subject to the appeal.
As added by P.L.230-2005, SEC.7.

Going to file soon. Looking to get a lawyer

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Post their phone numbers and e-mail addresses if you have them.

Not going to do that. I'm to file an appeal.

No phone calls please

Nate SY
03-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Wow. So they gave no reason for their decision? Why don't you contact Campaign HQ and let them know? I'm sure Dr. Paul would be pissed to hear that four of his delegates were removed due to your local party bullshitting.

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Wow. So they gave no reason for their decision? Why don't you contact Campaign HQ and let them know? I'm sure Dr. Paul would be pissed to hear that four of his delegates were removed due to your local party bullshitting.

Not really. They deliberated much more on the other cases. This was recorded. I can't wait to hear the tape. I'm going to contact the campaign on this.

robert4rp08
03-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Those are some pretty arbitrary, subjective criteria....

rockandrollsouls
03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
of course we can. we just never do those things. did you see Nader say the DNC sued him 28 times in 2000 to get him off the ballot?

we're victims because we chose to be

I know! We have McCains ILLEGAL finance issue, which SHOULD get him screwed with good lawyers on the case, all of this unfair coverage (it's not equal, and it's bias), and we can go after the delegates themselves. This movement is EDUCATED. The others can't touch us! Why isn't the campaign exploiting these weaknesses!

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Those are some pretty arbitrary, subjective criteria....

Yeah, I'm not sure they did everything according to procedure either. We'll see. They basically let the guy define good standing although I don't think they can do that. The party rules don't do that so I'm not sure why he should be able to. I'm going to contact the state delegate coordinator for the campaign.

rockandrollsouls
03-06-2008, 08:08 PM
No1ButPaul08, fight it. fight it with all of your heart and soul.

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Also I don't think your Republicanism can be judged by anyone else but the Republican committee of your county according to RNC rules. The Dem on the board completely invalidates the process as the committee to decide this can have no other party affiliation. RNC states no local or state rules can override this rule.

Was there a lot of people in attendance to witness this process?

You would think so, but that's the law in Indiana. Can you point to rule showing the county committee determining republicanism? If that's the case, it was the county chair that filed the challenge so their isn't much hope there.

nullvalu
03-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Keep up the fight buddy!! But believe me this is no way to make friends in the county GOP.. :) If you plan on being active in the party in the future, let's hope your County Chairman is up for re-election soon! This is why it's also SO IMPORTANT that we filed for Precinct Committeemen. These people are the ones who vote on the County Chairman. It's not too late though, after the elections, ask your County Chairman to appoint you to an open precinct, it's very likely he'll do so.

Rhys
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
if you can contact the other RP supporters, maybe your lawyer will do a special price.

if you have the money, file counter claims on their deleages too.

Mr. White
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
File an appeal. Sounds like you're going about it the right way. Go ahead and join the others that got rejected so if things do turn out better, you may squeak one or two of them in as well.

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 10:31 PM
I am hoping the 4 of us can come together and appeal. I contacted the others on this. I am also in the process of contacting the state RP campaign, to see what their thoughts are.

pepperpete1
03-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Through the years "a member in good standing" meant an actual card carrying member of the Republican party, where you pay membership dues and participate in their meetings.

No1ButPaul08
03-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Through the years "a member in good standing" meant an actual card carrying member of the Republican party, where you pay membership dues and participate in their meetings.

The Indiana GOP doesn't define good standing anywhere in it's rules. Also, in Indiana, one cannot register as a member of either party.

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 12:28 AM
bump

JosephTheLibertarian
03-07-2008, 12:35 AM

How will they know he didn't? ;)

PennCustom4RP
03-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Seems to me, that being a Ron Paul supporter/delegate, puts you in bad standing with the GOP. I'm sure if you asked the GOP if RP was in good standing, and got an honest answer, they would say he isn't either. Nice way to manipulate delegates to be only for the anointed ones, disqualify the rest, on vague terms.:rolleyes:

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Not really. They deliberated much more on the other cases. This was recorded. I can't wait to hear the tape. I'm going to contact the campaign on this.

I was hoping so.

This is why I sneer at the "support the republican nominee" trolls in here. IMO, the republican party has top down instructions to keep Paul supporters from participating. They've had that directive since he started picking up any support at all. So, the only guy who understands and agrees with the platform, and a ton of of real republican volunteers and supporters were thrown under the bus. They could have brought plenty of new supporters into the party, but the party has clearly chosen to protect their corruption instead.

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 11:25 AM
bump

pepperpete1
03-07-2008, 11:44 AM
The Indiana GOP doesn't define good standing anywhere in it's rules. Also, in Indiana, one cannot register as a member of either party.

So, it all hinges on the definition of "member in good standing"? If you cannot register as either party, it would seem you stand a good chance of beating the challenger.

Edu
03-07-2008, 11:48 AM
It doesn't sound like they are reviewing according to RNC rules. I see there is a Dem on the board, who is ruling body ?WTF? Is the dem in good GOP standing? I smell BS!!

Edit: One more thing, isn't it strange that everyone there was a RP supporter? How did they know? I bet they were looking for RP contributions and flagging people that way. Very underhanded if they only picked RP people. Those GOP "officials" should be reported and should lose their positions right now, today, this minute.

Find out who else got called in lately. Is it all RP supporters?

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 12:18 PM
WTF? Is the dem in good GOP standing? I smell BS!!

Edit: One more thing, isn't it strange that everyone there was a RP supporter? How did they know? I bet they were looking for RP contributions and flagging people that way. Very underhanded if they only picked RP people. Those GOP "officials" should be reported and should lose their positions right now, today, this minute.

Find out who else got called in lately. Is it all RP supporters?

The Dem was on the county election board. It would seem that the GOP should determine my Republicanism, not the county election board. That however is not the case in Indiana.

The four that got challenged were all RP supporters. The challenger was the county GOP chair. He had a list of, "county republicans" that he used to target delegates. Two of us had direct ties to the Libertarian Party through donations and running for office, and the challenger used that. The other two however, had no ties whatsoever to any other party, yet we were determined to, "not be in good standing."

The GOP member on the election board was appointed by the challenger. The other members of the election board pretty much let him run the show. It was a disgrace

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 05:00 PM
bump

pepperpete1
03-07-2008, 05:05 PM
I don't know if this will help you or not, but when researching the RNC rules for delegates.........
.In all elections of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention, the following rules shall apply:
(1) Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention may be elected only in one of the following manners:
(i) by primary election;
(ii) by the Republican state committee, where specifically provided by state law;
(iii) by state and congressional district conventions;
(iv) by any method consistent with these rules by which delegates and alternate delegates were selected to the most recent Republican National Convention from that state;
(v) by Rule No. 13 (a)(2) of these rules.
(2) Only persons eligible to vote who are deemed as a matter of public record to be Republicans pursuant to state law or, if voters are not enrolled by party, by Republican party rules of a state, shall participate in any primary election held for the purpose of electing delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention or in any Republican caucus, mass meeting, or mass convention held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the county, district, or state conventions, and only such legal and qualified voters shall be elected as delegates to county, district, and state conventions; provided, however, that in addition to the qualifications provided herein, the applicable Republican party rules of a state may prescribe additional qualifications not inconsistent with law, which additional qualifications shall be adopted before the first Tuesday in September in the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held and published in at least one (1) newspaper having a general circulation throughout the state, such publication to be at least ninety (90) days before such qualifications become effective. (3) No state law shall be observed which permits any person to participate in a primary delegate and alternate delegate selection process that also permits that person at the same primary to participate in the choosing of nominees of any other party for other elective office. Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention shall in that event be selected pursuant to state party rules that are not inconsistent with the Rules of the Republican Party; provided, however, that the selection process established by the state party rules shall provide that only persons eligible to vote who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or state party rules shall participate in such delegate selection process.
(4) In any jurisdiction in which Republican representation upon the board of judges or inspectors of elections for primary elections is denied by law, delegates and alternate delegates shall be elected as provided in paragraph (a)(1) or (a)(4) of this rule.
(5) In selecting delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention, no state law shall be observed which hinders, abridges, or denies to any citizen of the United States, eligible under the Constitution of the United States to hold the office of President of the United States or Vice President of the United States, the right or privilege of being a candidate under such state law for the nomination for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States or which authorizes the election of a number of delegates or alternate delegates from any state to the national convention different from that fixed in these rules.
(6) Alternate delegates shall be elected to the national convention for each unit of representation equal in number to the number of delegates elected therein and shall be chosen in the same manner and at the same time as the delegates and under the same rules; provided, however, that if the law of any state shall prescribe another method of choosing alternate delegates, they may be chosen in accordance with the provisions of the law of the state in which the election occurs, except that no alternates shall be selected for Republican National Committee members.
(7) Delegates and alternate delegates at large to the national convention when serving as delegates and alternate delegates shall be residents of and duly qualified voters in their respective states. All delegates and alternate delegates allocated as delegates and alternate delegates at large shall be elected at large in the several states; provided, however, that such allocation and method of election may be varied in any state to the extent, and only to the extent, necessary to avoid conflict with state law applicable to the selection of national convention delegates if such varying allocation and method of election were those pursuant to which delegates at large and alternate delegates at large were elected to the 1988 Republican National Convention from that state.
(8) Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention representing congressional districts shall be residents of and qualified voters in said districts respectively when elected and when serving as delegates and alternate delegates. There shall be three (3) delegates and three (3) alternate delegates allocated to represent each congressional district of the several states, who shall be elected by each such congressional district; provided, however, that such number of delegates and alternate delegates allocated to represent, and elected by, any congressional district of a state may be reduced or increased to the extent, and only to the extent, necessary to avoid conflict with state law applicable to the selection of national convention delegates if such varying allocation was that pursuant to which district delegates and alternate district delegates were elected to the 1988 Republican National Convention from the state.
(9) No delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention shall be required to pay an assessment or fee in excess of that provided by the law of the state in which his or her election occurs as a condition of serving as a delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention.
(10) There shall be no automatic delegates to the national convention who serve by virtue of party position or elective office, except as provided for in Rule No. 13 (a)(2).
(11) No delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected pursuant to any Republican Party rule of a state or state law which materially changes the manner of selecting delegates or alternate delegates or the date upon which such state party holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention if such changes were adopted or made effective after the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held. Where it is not possible for a state party to certify the manner and the date upon which it holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention in effect in that state on the date and in the manner provided in paragraph (e) of this rule, the process for holding the presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention shall be conducted in the same manner and held upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention. If it is not possible to hold a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention, then delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to paragraph (d) of this rule.
(d) Conventions.
Wherever state law permits or the Republican Party rules of a state require the election of delegates and alternate delegates by convention or there is no applicable state law or Republican Party rule, delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention shall be elected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to the following rules:
(1) Congressional district or state conventions shall be called by the Republican state committee.
(2) Delegates to congressional district conventions may be elected in precinct caucuses, mass meetings, mass conventions, or county conventions in which only eligible voters in such precinct, county, or district, as the case may be, shall vote.
(3) Notices of the call for any such caucus, meeting, or convention shall be published in a newspaper or newspapers of general circulation in the county, district, or state, as the case may be, not less than fifteen (l5) days prior to the date of such caucus, meeting, or convention.
(4) No delegates shall be deemed eligible to participate in any congressional district or state convention the purpose of which is to elect delegates to the national convention who are elected prior to the date of the issuance of the call of such national convention.
(5) Congressional district conventions shall be composed of delegates who are persons eligible to vote and who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or party rules. State conventions shall be composed of delegates who are persons eligible to vote and who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or party rules in the respective districts which they represent in said state conventions. Such delegates shall be apportioned by the state Republican Party among counties, parishes, and cities of the state or district having regard to the Republican vote or the population therein.
(6) There shall be no proxies at any district or state convention (which shall not include meetings of a Republican state committee) held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the national convention. If alternate delegates to such selection convention are selected, the alternate delegate and no other shall vote in the absence of the delegate.
(e) Certification and filing by state committees.
(1) On or before the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held, each Republican state committee shall adopt rules, procedures, policies, and instructive materials (prepared pursuant to Rule No. 14(a)) governing the selection of delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention to convene during the following year and shall certify and file with the secretary of the Republican National Committee true copies of the same and of all statutes governing the selection of such delegates and alternate delegates.

I could not find in all of this where it states that a nominee for national delegate has to be "a member in good standing".

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't know if this will help you or not, but when researching the RNC rules for delegates.........
.In all elections of delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention, the following rules shall apply:
(1) Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention may be elected only in one of the following manners:
(i) by primary election;
(ii) by the Republican state committee, where specifically provided by state law;
(iii) by state and congressional district conventions;
(iv) by any method consistent with these rules by which delegates and alternate delegates were selected to the most recent Republican National Convention from that state;
(v) by Rule No. 13 (a)(2) of these rules.
(2) Only persons eligible to vote who are deemed as a matter of public record to be Republicans pursuant to state law or, if voters are not enrolled by party, by Republican party rules of a state, shall participate in any primary election held for the purpose of electing delegates or alternate delegates to the national convention or in any Republican caucus, mass meeting, or mass convention held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the county, district, or state conventions, and only such legal and qualified voters shall be elected as delegates to county, district, and state conventions; provided, however, that in addition to the qualifications provided herein, the applicable Republican party rules of a state may prescribe additional qualifications not inconsistent with law, which additional qualifications shall be adopted before the first Tuesday in September in the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held and published in at least one (1) newspaper having a general circulation throughout the state, such publication to be at least ninety (90) days before such qualifications become effective. (3) No state law shall be observed which permits any person to participate in a primary delegate and alternate delegate selection process that also permits that person at the same primary to participate in the choosing of nominees of any other party for other elective office. Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention shall in that event be selected pursuant to state party rules that are not inconsistent with the Rules of the Republican Party; provided, however, that the selection process established by the state party rules shall provide that only persons eligible to vote who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or state party rules shall participate in such delegate selection process.
(4) In any jurisdiction in which Republican representation upon the board of judges or inspectors of elections for primary elections is denied by law, delegates and alternate delegates shall be elected as provided in paragraph (a)(1) or (a)(4) of this rule.
(5) In selecting delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention, no state law shall be observed which hinders, abridges, or denies to any citizen of the United States, eligible under the Constitution of the United States to hold the office of President of the United States or Vice President of the United States, the right or privilege of being a candidate under such state law for the nomination for President of the United States or Vice President of the United States or which authorizes the election of a number of delegates or alternate delegates from any state to the national convention different from that fixed in these rules.
(6) Alternate delegates shall be elected to the national convention for each unit of representation equal in number to the number of delegates elected therein and shall be chosen in the same manner and at the same time as the delegates and under the same rules; provided, however, that if the law of any state shall prescribe another method of choosing alternate delegates, they may be chosen in accordance with the provisions of the law of the state in which the election occurs, except that no alternates shall be selected for Republican National Committee members.
(7) Delegates and alternate delegates at large to the national convention when serving as delegates and alternate delegates shall be residents of and duly qualified voters in their respective states. All delegates and alternate delegates allocated as delegates and alternate delegates at large shall be elected at large in the several states; provided, however, that such allocation and method of election may be varied in any state to the extent, and only to the extent, necessary to avoid conflict with state law applicable to the selection of national convention delegates if such varying allocation and method of election were those pursuant to which delegates at large and alternate delegates at large were elected to the 1988 Republican National Convention from that state.
(8) Delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention representing congressional districts shall be residents of and qualified voters in said districts respectively when elected and when serving as delegates and alternate delegates. There shall be three (3) delegates and three (3) alternate delegates allocated to represent each congressional district of the several states, who shall be elected by each such congressional district; provided, however, that such number of delegates and alternate delegates allocated to represent, and elected by, any congressional district of a state may be reduced or increased to the extent, and only to the extent, necessary to avoid conflict with state law applicable to the selection of national convention delegates if such varying allocation was that pursuant to which district delegates and alternate district delegates were elected to the 1988 Republican National Convention from the state.
(9) No delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention shall be required to pay an assessment or fee in excess of that provided by the law of the state in which his or her election occurs as a condition of serving as a delegate or alternate delegate to the national convention.
(10) There shall be no automatic delegates to the national convention who serve by virtue of party position or elective office, except as provided for in Rule No. 13 (a)(2).
(11) No delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected pursuant to any Republican Party rule of a state or state law which materially changes the manner of selecting delegates or alternate delegates or the date upon which such state party holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention if such changes were adopted or made effective after the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held. Where it is not possible for a state party to certify the manner and the date upon which it holds a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention in effect in that state on the date and in the manner provided in paragraph (e) of this rule, the process for holding the presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention shall be conducted in the same manner and held upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention. If it is not possible to hold a presidential primary, caucus, convention, or meeting for the purpose of voting for a presidential candidate and/or selecting delegates to the national convention upon the same date as was used for the immediately preceding national convention, then delegates or alternate delegates shall be selected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to paragraph (d) of this rule.
(d) Conventions.
Wherever state law permits or the Republican Party rules of a state require the election of delegates and alternate delegates by convention or there is no applicable state law or Republican Party rule, delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention shall be elected by congressional district or state conventions pursuant to the following rules:
(1) Congressional district or state conventions shall be called by the Republican state committee.
(2) Delegates to congressional district conventions may be elected in precinct caucuses, mass meetings, mass conventions, or county conventions in which only eligible voters in such precinct, county, or district, as the case may be, shall vote.
(3) Notices of the call for any such caucus, meeting, or convention shall be published in a newspaper or newspapers of general circulation in the county, district, or state, as the case may be, not less than fifteen (l5) days prior to the date of such caucus, meeting, or convention.
(4) No delegates shall be deemed eligible to participate in any congressional district or state convention the purpose of which is to elect delegates to the national convention who are elected prior to the date of the issuance of the call of such national convention.
(5) Congressional district conventions shall be composed of delegates who are persons eligible to vote and who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or party rules. State conventions shall be composed of delegates who are persons eligible to vote and who are deemed to be Republicans pursuant to state law or party rules in the respective districts which they represent in said state conventions. Such delegates shall be apportioned by the state Republican Party among counties, parishes, and cities of the state or district having regard to the Republican vote or the population therein.
(6) There shall be no proxies at any district or state convention (which shall not include meetings of a Republican state committee) held for the purpose of selecting delegates to the national convention. If alternate delegates to such selection convention are selected, the alternate delegate and no other shall vote in the absence of the delegate.
(e) Certification and filing by state committees.
(1) On or before the first Tuesday in September of the year before the year in which the national convention is to be held, each Republican state committee shall adopt rules, procedures, policies, and instructive materials (prepared pursuant to Rule No. 14(a)) governing the selection of delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention to convene during the following year and shall certify and file with the secretary of the Republican National Committee true copies of the same and of all statutes governing the selection of such delegates and alternate delegates.

I could not find in all of this where it states that a nominee for national delegate has to be "a member in good standing".

This is for a delegate to the IN state convention. The RNC rules state that states can add their own rules. It is pretty important though, half of IN delegates are unbound, so there are delegates to be won at the state convention. Also, we would all be locks for the state convention as there were only 11 people (now 7) running for 12 spots.

PismoPam
03-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Anne Estabrook, the Republican who just dropped out of the NJ Senate race, has made donations to Democrats, and she was considered Republican enough to run for office.

pepperpete1
03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
This is for a delegate to the IN state convention. The RNC rules state that states can add their own rules. It is pretty important though, half of IN delegates are unbound, so there are delegates to be won at the state convention. Also, we would all be locks for the state convention as there were only 11 people (now 7) running for 12 spots.

The first line states that it is for delegates to the national convention. I understand that states can add their own rules, but given that the RNC is trying to make it possible for a bigger majority of persons to participate in voting, perhaps your county chair person would back off.

By the way I spent all afternoon trying to find the Indiana GOP rules. Where did you find them?

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 08:12 PM
The first line states that it is for delegates to the national convention. I understand that states can add their own rules, but given that the RNC is trying to make it possible for a bigger majority of persons to participate in voting, perhaps your county chair person would back off.

By the way I spent all afternoon trying to find the Indiana GOP rules. Where did you find them?

Rule 9-7
http://www.indgop.org/rulesrevision06.pdf

Bottom left under GOP info
http://www.indgop.org/

No1ButPaul08
03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I talked to one of the Indiana grassroots leaders for the campaign. He is going to help out and he thinks we have a good case.

pepperpete1
03-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Please keep us posted