PDA

View Full Version : Help delegates with GOP platforms

spacehabitats
03-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Our county convention (in Iowa) is this Saturday. Delegates will vote on platform issues and also may submit NEW platform proposals. I think I could come up with some good ideas for platforms, but are there any standard platform resolutions available from the national campaign?

If not, does anyone have some experience with party conventions that could help me write some, or at least give me a good format to use in writing them up?

Liberté
03-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Felix Montez
For
Minnesota District 59A – House of Representatives

fmontez@gmail.com – www.FelixForHouse.Com

Prepared and paid for by Felix for House Committee

J Free
03-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Our county convention (in Iowa) is this Saturday. Delegates will vote on platform issues and also may submit NEW platform proposals. I think I could come up with some good ideas for platforms, but are there any standard platform resolutions available from the national campaign?

If not, does anyone have some experience with party conventions that could help me write some, or at least give me a good format to use in writing them up?

We passed a half dozen or so resolutions at our Denver county assembly this past weekend. They included:

1. withdraw from international organizations that threaten/subvert our independence/sovereignty

2. oppose all exercise of eminent domain for any govt/private infrastructure project related to NAFTA/NAU

3. encourage the return of a free market in energy by repealing all energy subsidies and regulations that hamper energy production, returning federal land in Colorado TO Colorado per terms of statehood, and allowing tax credits for all sources of energy (including solar/wind/etc).

4. eliminate the Patriot Act and other intrusions on privacy that do not strictly follow Constitutional restraints.

5. force all Republican candidates for office to interpret the Constitution with its literal meaning and original intent. Both fed and state.

6. repeal legislation that taxes Social Security benefits and eliminate all laws that allow Social Security trust fund money to be spent by government on other programs.

7. eliminate birthright citizenship and a couple of other federal mandates re illegals and provide funding and COMPLETE a physical border control mechanism.

There may have been a couple of others but I forget them. I wish we had had one on supporting competition in currencies by eliminating capital gains taxes on commodities and eliminating legal tender and other monopoly provisions (NOT the same as eliminating the Federal Reserve - just its legal monopoly).

The format was pretty much the same:

Whereas, this is a problem

Whereas, that is a problem

Whereas, the other is a problem

Whereas, the Constitution provides such and so authority

Whereas, the core principles of the Republican Party provides such and so reason to act

Therefore be it resolved that ---- solution.

As for the solution, much of it is contained in specific legislation introduced by Ron Paul. Many of the problems are highlighted in the speeches he makes when he introduces the legislation. Tailor the resolutions around those.

Be very careful about both over-reach and irrelevancies (the latter specifically re anything that smacks of conspiracy). The goal is to PASS a resolution not to make a sermon that simply antagonizes. Also, it would be very helpful if at least one resolution is truly purely local.

Fortunately, our resolutions passed because they were worded so that even supporters of other candidates could get on board. And I suspect that those resolutions also showed that we Ron Paul Republicans are here to stay in the GOP.

We did not have a resolution on Iraq (the support for it is simply too strong here and we didn't want to poison the delegate well). I wish however that we had had one on NATO and other international security alliances/obligations.

spacehabitats
03-03-2008, 04:32 PM
These were very helpful. I think I can do this.